Weight loss not noticed?

Replies

• DamienAngelica
    DamienAngelica Posts: 281 Member
    Do you notice those lost pounds? Isn't that the important thing? Lots of people won't say anything because talking about weight isn't always seen as polite. Keep focusing on your goal; stop worrying about what others think.
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    I lost 17lbs and I'm thinner than most people in my life have every seen me. I haven't been at this weight for 5 years. Not not one person (other than my mother) has noticed or said anything. Honestly, people don't care. You do this for you, not them.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    People might feel uncomfortable commenting on your body. You never know whether those kinds of comments are welcome or not. I think that's especially true if they don't know that you're actively trying to lose weight. Sometimes people lose weight unintentionally, so no one wants to make the mistake of congratulating someone on weight loss that's actually due to illness. If the people around you know what your goals are, I think they would be more likely to congratulate you on your progress.
  • EDs3000
    EDs3000 Posts: 46 Member
    it takes 4 weeks for you to see your body changing it take 8 weeks for your friends and family it takes 12 weeks for the rest of world keep going
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I'm down 40 and literally one person outside my family has said anything. I told him that he's the only one, and he said that it's reeeeeally tough to bring up a woman's weight (especially at work) tactfully.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    So I know this is a fickle thing, but I'm down nearly 30 pounds and no one has said anything to me about it. I'm an apple body shape so maybe it's not as noticeable on me as other body types. But I have lost 6 inches off my waist.

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

You should do a search and look at all of the threads with people complaining that people did say something and how they don't like it.

Here's the thing...someone's weight is a rather taboo topic regardless of whether it's to compliment someone on losing weight or other comments. Frankly, a lot of people can't take a compliment...something like, "hey...you look great...you lost some weight" gets translated in their brains as, "hey...you used to look like a fat pile of *kitten*"...so it's not that people don't notice...it's that they don't comment.

I lost 40 Lbs almost 4.5 years ago...the only people to ever say anything to me was my family, and my administrative assistant at work. In my experience, most people will only talk about it after you mention something about it...most people won't just come out and talk about it on their own.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    @aeloine Funny, I wrote this one my newsfeed yesterday

"I'm down close to 50 lbs. (24 kg, 5 stone.) It has been pretty steady since I started back on MFP in March. All of April, May, June, July, August, September, and October nobody said a word to me. All of a sudden people are coming up left and right and saying 'you lost weight' Feels good. I guess some advice to us coworkers out there be a little presumptuous and If someone seems to have drop 10 or 15 pounds we could say "hey you look like you are getting more fit..." or some other gentle acknowledgment."

I guess we are not alone.
  • magster4isu
    magster4isu Posts: 632 Member
    It took 60 lbs before anyone said anything to me. I think people notice but don't feel comfortable saying anything.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. Do you notice a difference? That's all that is important.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,812 Member
    CryingBlue wrote: »
    So I know this is a fickle thing, but I'm down nearly 30 pounds and no one has said anything to me about it. I'm an apple body shape so maybe it's not as noticeable on me as other body types. But I have lost 6 inches off my waist.

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

No one said a word to me until I had lost 33 lbs ... and then they were really hesitant about saying anything because there's always a chance the person has lost weight because of a health issue.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    fiona4879 wrote: »
    Don’t take it personally! Hey it is nice to get positive feedback but the reasons you don’t hear it are nothing to do with you.
    1. Your success highlights their lack of progress or poor body image.
    2. They are not focused on how you look. They are thinking about other things.
    3. Jealously / envy.
    4. People are not observant.
    5. They are concerned that a compliment on ‘how much better you look’ could be taken the wrong way.

I’m sure there are more.

^^ This... Plus loads of people lose a few pounds and promptly give up, then they put it back on, plus more. If every time I noticed someone lost a pound and commented, I wouldn't have time for my day job.

For me at least, I focus less on what people say and focus more on achieving my goals. I couldn't care less what people think about my weight, thats not why I started to get in shape.
  • BritneyBakesBest
    BritneyBakesBest Posts: 27 Member
    edited November 2017
    I hope this helps❤❤❤
    http://poconodome.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/12-weeks-keep-going.jpg
    4 week for you to notice.
    8 weeks for your friends and family to notice.
    12 weeks for the rest of the world to notice. Keep Going!
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Nobody congratulated me on weight loss for awhile, either. My sister took me shopping and she got me into properly fitting smaller clothes. Now people notice and say things. My floppy frumpy fat clothes were hiding all my progress.
  • bobtater1
    bobtater1 Posts: 172 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    When you start losing people may notice but can be hesitant to comment. As you go further into weight loss it becomes more dramatic and people will comment. When I got to my goal I was getting comments like "you lost so much weight, are you well?".

I can identify all of a sudden one day people asked me if I was ill. Just all at once they noticed.
  • potatoyeti
    potatoyeti Posts: 38 Member
    I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum, actually beginning to get sick of people commenting on my weight loss. I'm doing this for me and what others think is not really relevant. It was nice in beginning but now it's just the same comments over and over. I'm at the point where will just politely smile and change the subject.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Nowadays unless it's a close friend or family member, they will not comment on weight. Last week I had two people look at me for a few minutes and then say I looked adorable. I'm pretty sure they noticed the weight loss but did not want to say it since in the USA at least, it's considered rude or offensive now to do so. 20 years ago this was not an issue.
  • Oma827
    Oma827 Posts: 114 Member
    When I finally bought an interim wardrobe that fit, people began to compliment me. Sneaking up on -100 right now, on second wave of interim wardrobe. I work with kind people, and I appreciate their friendliness, and then I change the subject.