How To Get More Calories

Options
Hey my friends I need some help I work different hours in a Walmart Pharmacy where we are not allowed to have any kind of snack stuff and I never get around in time to eat anything more than a granola bars or a banana and lunch is usually just a peanut butter sandwich and chips which is eaten any where from 1pm to 3:30pm depending on the shift. I know I am not eating near enough and I do either a spin class or circuit workout five days a week. I just need some suggestions on how to get more calories in. I am 5’0 52 year old female currently weigh 134lbs.

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose weight? If so, how did you get to that point if you are unable to meet your calorie requirements now?
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight and getting enough calories has never been a problem until I started this job in June. My husband does all the cooking and recently due to a high glucose reading my doctor has put on a now white carb diet so he makes smaller amounts of food so I never have leftovers anymore just peanut butter and whole wheat bread. I think my weight loss is to fast I look like I a melting everything is sagging.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    Roxie65 wrote: »
    I am losing weight and getting enough calories has never been a problem until I started this job in June. My husband does all the cooking and recently due to a high glucose reading my doctor has put on a now white carb diet so he makes smaller amounts of food so I never have leftovers anymore just peanut butter and whole wheat bread. I think my weight loss is to fast I look like I a melting everything is sagging.

"no white carb diet" doesn't mean smaller amounts of food - get him to cook more. Or do some of your own cooking on the weekend so you have a meal to take for lunch. You could also eat more before and after work.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I’m going to go with the simplest solution of adding just 2 more tbsp of peanutbutter to your sandwich if just getting the calories up is what you’re after. If not, just bring more for lunch? Two bananas instead of one? An apple?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Just eat more calories.
  • Roxie65
    Roxie65 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have an hour commute so by the time I get up workout and get ready for work there is no time for lunch and my husband does all the cooking its part of the job agreement the earliest I could get home some nights is 6 and some days I work 12-9pm so no supper except the sandwich and the no white carb is the part I am finding to be the toughest part for me at my last job I went by a gas station every morning and got little Debbie brownies or donuts. We have substituted rice for cauliflower rice or pasta and I despise brown rice. I guess I was hoping someone could come up with a suggestion but I guess I was wrong.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Do you get any breaks at work? How long are your shifts? You said you have an hour commute - have a snack while in the car
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I have an hour commute so by the time I get up workout and get ready for work there is no time for lunch and my husband does all the cooking its part of the job agreement the earliest I could get home some nights is 6 and some days I work 12-9pm so no supper except the sandwich and the no white carb is the part I am finding to be the toughest part for me at my last job I went by a gas station every morning and got little Debbie brownies or donuts. We have substituted rice for cauliflower rice or pasta and I despise brown rice. I guess I was hoping someone could come up with a suggestion but I guess I was wrong.

The suggestion is...eat. You're an adult. We all have one hour commutes and hectic lives. Eat a more calorie dense dinner. Have dessert. Use avocado, oil, butter, full fat dairy, etc. Keep a pack of nuts with you and eat on your commute.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Tell your husband that you want a big meal.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    Foods that can be high in calories
    wrote:
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    less lean cuts of meat (including beef, pork, sausage, etc.)
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    beef jerky
    cornbread
    tuna
    full calorie condiments
    full calorie sauces & dressings
    sour cream
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    bacon
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses

• counting_kilojoules
    Options
    As far as I'm understanding it, the problem is that you don't have time for snacks and your lunch doesn't have enough calories in it to give you enough calories at the end of the day?

If that's correct, I'd either add some calories to your dinner or lunch maybe google 100 or 200 calorie snacks and see if anything appeals or try bulking up your sandwich. Peanut butter is pretty good if your looking for calories but a large sandwich with a lot of meat, cheese, tomato, lettuce, etc. is good as well, especially if you really pile it on. You could have two if you have time. I rarely eat full fat cheese because it's not worth the calories to me but it might be a good choice for you, if not in a sandwich, then as a snack. It travels well and is quick to eat.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Drink one of those bottles of fruit smoothie drinks or a protein shake with your sandwich. Or use them as a snack. Adds calories, maybe will fuel you better.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Hey my friends I need some help I work different hours in a Walmart Pharmacy where we are not allowed to have any kind of snack stuff and I never get around in time to eat anything more than a granola bars or a banana and lunch is usually just a peanut butter sandwich and chips which is eaten any where from 1pm to 3:30pm depending on the shift. I know I am not eating near enough and I do either a spin class or circuit workout five days a week. I just need some suggestions on how to get more calories in. I am 5’0 52 year old female currently weigh 134lbs.

Not even allowed drinks? A nice chocolate milk would add calories and can be bought packaged so don't take time to prepare.