Atkins Support Group

Replies

• LaJauna
    LaJauna Posts: 336 Member
    I am almost a week into induction. I am pretty sure that I am in ketosis as I am exhibiting nearly all of the symptoms that I have read about (but I don't have the strips). My appetite is pretty under control, but I feel fatigued. Very fatigued. I got eight hours of sleep last night, but I still feel like I need to take a nap right now. Any suggestions

It might mean you need to salt your food! Sodium depletion is a side effect of induction because your body is using ketosis as a diuretic! As your excess water weight is released so is your chemistry altered. I use lite salt because is has sodium with potasium. You will feel better if you mix a tsp into some warm water and glug it down! Or you can just make some bullion cube broth and drink that.

I have looked at my sodium and potassium for the past 7 days. My sodium is close to what MFP recommends (2,500) usually between 250-500 mg short. My potassium on the other hand is about half of what MFP recommends. Do I need to consume even more sodium than what MFP recommends during ketosis? Is it possible that the low potassium is causing the fatigue? If so, what do I do about it? Should I take a supplement? Where do I get lite salt.? I know I have a lot of questions thanks for all of your help?

That is why I use lite salt. It is high in potassium but still had some sodium.
  • I'm sold on the low carb idea, it makes sense to me at least. I have failed Atkins induction more times than I can remember, and have found the Primal/Paleo diet advertised on marksdailyapple.com to be easier to follow, with similar perks to Atkins. Atkins advocates tell me you will lose weight slower on a Primal diet, but I find it significantly more sustainable and am losing weight at a remarkable rate, in comparison to MFP's guided recommendations anyways.
    Good for you! I debated the Paleo/Atkins routes with myself, but really the shunning and/or limiting of eggs and dairy scared me away. I LOVE the fact that you can have so many veggies and fruits, though!! I need to lose a lot of weight, though, so I went with Atkins for quick results, and more control which my carb cravin self needs.

I am debating the no dairy part of Paleo/primal. I love cheeses and cream in my coffee. I probably would lose faster if I could let go of those, but for now I am happy with my dairy....

No dairy would be better than any at all, but I decided to keep cheese, cream, and the occasional yogurt around. I lean to heavy cream (whipping or better) and aged cheese. I've read they are more tolerable and easier to digest, especially the cheese. I don't feel hindered by it but who knows, might cause a plateau down the road. Face that challenge if I run into it.
  • deathcab87
    deathcab87 Posts: 10 Member
    Good morning everyone!

I have a question I'm hoping someone on here can resolve - am I ok to drink unsweetended Soya Milk as part of my net carbs during Induction? I'm praying you say yes as I don't think I can't function without it ;)

Oh and anyone else on here from Scotland or the UK?

Z
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    I have a question I'm hoping someone on here can resolve - am I ok to drink unsweetended Soya Milk as part of my net carbs during Induction? I'm praying you say yes as I don't think I can't function without it ;)

Oh and anyone else on here from Scotland or the UK?

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to have soya milk (even if unsweetened) but I haven't got the book to hand so will have to double check. Also, I'm in East Midlands. :)
  • hi guys i got a quick question..can you use metamucil to up your fiber on atkins..i got the sugar free kind

Yes you can :)

So glad you answered this. I'm not as 'regular' as I was Pre-Atkins. What kind of metamucil? I see Dr. Atkins recommends psyllium husks- that sounds really nasty- is it available as pill? I made the mistake of buying Metamucil Clear and Natural Inulin Fiber- little did I know that Inulin is the same thing that I can't cope with in Fiber One bars or anything else...one hour after a dose I feel like someone is blowing my tummy up with a huge balloon. :( What do most of you take? Does it effect carb count??
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    hi guys i got a quick question..can you use metamucil to up your fiber on atkins..i got the sugar free kind

So glad you answered this. I'm not as 'regular' as I was Pre-Atkins. What kind of metamucil? I see Dr. Atkins recommends psyllium husks- that sounds really nasty- is it available as pill? I made the mistake of buying Metamucil Clear and Natural Inulin Fiber- little did I know that Inulin is the same thing that I can't cope with in Fiber One bars or anything else...one hour after a dose I feel like someone is blowing my tummy up with a huge balloon. :( What do most of you take? Does it effect carb count??

Have you tried eating the Muffin in a Minute (MIM) on a daily basis? You can find the recipe on the Atkins site and it's sooo versatile! It's made with flax meal, which has plenty of fiber, as well as Omega-3s. I don't have this issue myself but I know a few people who swear it's the reason they stay regular. I personally think it's much better to take care of this problem, if you can, by eating the right foods as opposed to taking a supplement.
  • CarolAmanda
    CarolAmanda Posts: 84 Member
    Just saying Hello! I'm an active lurker on this thread. :) I'm not following Atkins, but am working to lower my carbs and up my protein. I love all the info everyone is sharing here.

Carol
  • hi guys i got a quick question..can you use metamucil to up your fiber on atkins..i got the sugar free kind

Have you tried eating the Muffin in a Minute (MIM) on a daily basis? You can find the recipe on the Atkins site and it's sooo versatile! It's made with flax meal, which has plenty of fiber, as well as Omega-3s. I don't have this issue myself but I know a few people who swear it's the reason they stay regular. I personally think it's much better to take care of this problem, if you can, by eating the right foods as opposed to taking a supplement.
    I'll all for the right foods doing the job as well, but I'm in induction! :( no meal of any kind for me, even flax.
  • cobylea
    cobylea Posts: 194 Member
    What do you Atkins followers suggest eating before working out? Before I would have some carbs to give me energy but that's a no go...
  • katberz
    katberz Posts: 123
    Just double checked on the soya milk - it's not on the allowed foods list. Once you get to the nuts/seeds rung of OWL you could use almond milk or wait til the legumes rung for soya milk.

I don't actually eat anything before a workout and I feel ok, though to be fair I'm not exactly running marathons lol.
  • SueInAz
    I'll all for the right foods doing the job as well, but I'm in induction! :( no meal of any kind for me, even flax.
    MIM is allowed in induction. :) Flax meal is basically zero net carbs because they are almost all fiber.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

I did induction for several months and had a MIM nearly every morning for breakfast. I like to add a tablespoon of cocoa powder in place of the cinnamon (same net carbs). It's very tasty!
  • Have you tried eating the Muffin in a Minute (MIM) on a daily basis? You can find the recipe on the Atkins site and it's sooo versatile! It's made with flax meal, which has plenty of fiber, as well as Omega-3s. I don't have this issue myself but I know a few people who swear it's the reason they stay regular. I personally think it's much better to take care of this problem, if you can, by eating the right foods as opposed to taking a supplement.
    MIM is allowed in induction. :) Flax meal is basically zero net carbs because they are almost all fiber.

I did induction for several months and had a MIM nearly every morning for breakfast. I like to add a tablespoon of cocoa powder in place of the cinnamon (same net carbs). It's very tasty!

Thank you!! I will definitely try it!!
  • bron_89
    bron_89 Posts: 33
    What are some good 'on the go' low carb foods? I have been really busy the past few days, running around like crazy and have found it so hard to find low carb foods away from home! and am too tired to cook when i come home!
  • lockef
    lockef Posts: 466
    The rotisserie chicken at the supermarkets are great! They don't cost much, and I have enough to bring to work the next few days. We always have some spinach or some other salad mix along with a bunch of different kinds of cheese. Hard boiled eggs are easy too.
  • SueInAz
    Tuna or egg salad are always easy. I eat them with celery as a scoop or put them on a big bed of romaine with some other veggies. Remember to use regular mayo, not low fat.
  • Cj107
    Cj107 Posts: 3 Member
    Hi, I'm new and stumbled across this group. Low carb seems to be the only way for me to lose weight. So, here I am hoping this will help.

CJ
  • Have you tried eating the Muffin in a Minute (MIM) on a daily basis? You can find the recipe on the Atkins site and it's sooo versatile! It's made with flax meal, which has plenty of fiber, as well as Omega-3s. I don't have this issue myself but I know a few people who swear it's the reason they stay regular. I personally think it's much better to take care of this problem, if you can, by eating the right foods as opposed to taking a supplement.

Thank you!! I will definitely try it!!

OMG tried it this morning and LOVED it! Especially with butter; I can't wait to try the variations of it. I need to mix it a little more, though cause I had some eggy bits. However, I mixed it and was like, This isn't going to work. It looks yucky. How's a minute in the microwave gonna help?? Well I took it out and it had risen almost to the top of the mug and popped out like a dream!! If you haven't tried it- give it a whirl. Thanks so much for the link!!
  • Susanxxxx
    Susanxxxx Posts: 53 Member
    Suprised to find this as i thought atkins was shunned here. Any how i've been doing atkins for a little over a year and have lost over 2 and a half stone already. I'm not keen on losing the rest too quicky, only 12lbs to go. I'm on phase 3 and loving it.
  • bron_89
    I'm so used rotisserie chickens being a no no food-so I never thought of that! All i have been eating for the last few months is skinless chicken breast :/ Do you eat the skin on rotisserie chickens on Atkins?
    Tuna and egg salads! Great idea!
    Thanks guys
  • bron_89
    Oh and Can you eat mayo on induction? EDIT- silly question! Of course you can :S