Powerful diet pop addiction

Options
2»

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The only thing bugging me is my mouth CONSTANTLY wants diet pop in it. Water no matter how much just does not satisfy. It's the weirdest thing.

I don't think diet soda in moderation is harmful, but if you don't want to drink it, whatever.

The question is what's going on here? Maybe you just want more variety than water, or maybe you are used to consuming tasty things all day long, quit everything else you were snacking on, and are missing those when between meals.

I see 2 options: really force yourself to adopt the habit of only consuming tasty things at meal times or planned snack times and drink water. It might be unpleasant at first, but you will adapt. Or, instead, find other non diet soda beverages that are not water that you can drink throughout the day. Some options, depending on what you miss about diet soda: LaCroix, fruit infused water, bubbly (carbonated) water, homemade iced tea, black coffee, iced coffee (also black).

Changing habits can be difficult. Giving up things you used to have can be difficult. That's totally normal.

For me it was easier to make changes more gradually, so I consciously decided not to cut down on coffee (my beverage I love and drink all the time, and which I enjoy black) when I first cut back on calories, but if you want to do it all at once and think diet soda is not for you, I think the advice above are your only options.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to consume something you don't need to justify it to anyone here. There's nothing wrong with your decision.

Just keep in mind that this is a health/fitness/weight loss community and there are lots of strong opinions about people using the idea of addiction or healthy vs unhealthy when discussing particular foods. That's why this post is getting so heated.

Keep in mind that the stories we tell ourselves to explain or justify something we want to do or stop doing can have a strong influence on our ultimate success. You've decided that you're "addicted" to diet soda which strongly implies that you can't help yourself because it's out of your control to regulate your consumption of it.

The idea that it's an addiction also makes it that much more desirable to you psychologically. Kinda like a forbidden fruit. Once something we like is off limits, we can become obsessed by it making us feel like we want it that much more.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    I don't have an idea of what ingredient in diet soda could generate physical withdrawal symptoms, but congratulations on being faithful to your program and best wishes on continued success.

Caffeine.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    Why do you believe diet soda is terrible for your body?

Because it is.

Do you have a source for that?

http://clark.com/health-health-care/diet-soda-risks-diet-coke/

Sorry but this is an opinion blog... how about a non bias study?

The blog lists the studies. Try Google if interested.
    Like all studies done on diet soda, "linked" and "associtated" with are key words. They never imply "CAUSE".
    My personal case is that I've drank it (at least 2 cans a day) for over 25+ years with no issues.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Its listing studies geared towards its opinion... i said non baised ones. The only one i saw that was pubmed i clicked it and it was just the review, it didn't list any of the information on how the study was conducted.

5 minutes of Google gives plenty for a person to at review and ask some questions about. But we see what we want to see don't we? And do course it doesn't help that millions are spent by soda manufacturers with online tactics to make sure we feel comfortable and keep buying it.

I chose to combine personal evidence of how my body has reacted with the thousands of reports of others on line and the dozens of ingredient studies to come to the conclusion that this stuff is really bad for me. You and the others coming into my support thread to insist that it's not are of course free to continue to drink up and blame the belly bloat and destroyed enamel on something else.
    Well if it's bad enamel, that's an oral hygiene issue. Many people don't take great care of their teeth after eating. As for bloat, I will say that it's different from individual to individual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• senseandsensibility
    senseandsensibility Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I bet you're missing the bubbles.

I have switched to a full refrigerator of LaCroix, Dasani Sparkling Waters (lime flavored) and some other carbonated waters. I like the plain or lemon/lime best. I still am trying to drink lots of water, but sometimes I just want something "more" and the carbonated waters does it for me.

I also drink plenty of unsweet decaf refrigerator tea, but I live in the South in America, so that's a must here. :D

Worth a shot, anyway.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I agree to try carbonated water. I don't like all the waste of buying it bottled or in cans so I bought a soda stream and just make my own. I don't add anything to it usually, sometimes lime/lemon, but I prefer it just plain.
  • senseandsensibility
    Options
    I agree to try carbonated water. I don't like all the waste of buying it bottled or in cans so I bought a soda stream and just make my own. I don't add anything to it usually, sometimes lime/lemon, but I prefer it just plain.

Oh, I didn't think about a soda stream! I bet that's worth the price as much as I'm drinking. Add a splash of some lemon juice or whatever and I'd be in business.
  • scottma3
    scottma3 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I never drank diet soda, but was pretty addicted to regular for a looonnngggg time! I typically only drank it morning and early afternoon but I would crash hard in the evenings. My body was craving the sugar for energy. I guess I had the willpower cause I stopped cold turkey about 4 months ago. I will say the first week was pretty hard fighting the gas station Big Gulp urges, but now I really dont crave it and my energy level is great all day long.
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Its listing studies geared towards its opinion... i said non baised ones. The only one i saw that was pubmed i clicked it and it was just the review, it didn't list any of the information on how the study was conducted.

5 minutes of Google gives plenty for a person to at review and ask some questions about. But we see what we want to see don't we? And do course it doesn't help that millions are spent by soda manufacturers with online tactics to make sure we feel comfortable and keep buying it.

I chose to combine personal evidence of how my body has reacted with the thousands of reports of others on line and the dozens of ingredient studies to come to the conclusion that this stuff is really bad for me. You and the others coming into my support thread to insist that it's not are of course free to continue to drink up and blame the belly bloat and destroyed enamel on something else.

I've been drinking diet soda for over twenty years. I've had zero issues with belly bloat and I just saw my dentist last month and they commented on how my enamel is actually thicker than their average patient. It's called maintaining proper dental hygiene, thank you very much.

Again, if you don't want to drink diet soda, don't. But don't avoid it because you erroneously think it's evil or spread misinformation about it to others. Real simple.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

5 minutes on Google and I can find "the earth is flat" blogs......you really need to be more discriminating for your sources.

Diet soda and joint pain? I've heard the rubbish before, but never seen any kind of data supporting it.

OP - if YOU make an assertion on-line it's up to you to prove it. Your comments are not accepted as fact until someone else proves you wrong, that's not the way it works.

Citrus fruit would destroy your tooth enamel too.....this is why people brush their teeth.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm planning on getting away from pop again within the next month or so. I went months without drinking it a while ago. I will say that I felt better when I wasn't drinking it. I don't think I was as hungry and I felt like I had more energy.

I drank a lot more tea to kick the cravings. There are some flavored and herbal teas that I don't even need to use any sweetener in at all. Berry teas tend to be naturally sweet, so they're a good option.

I don't know if diet pop is necessarily bad for you or not. I just prefer not to drink so much of it. The acid bothers my stomach and I don't like having a caffeine addiction. At the very least, drinking more water and/or tea helps my skin look better.
  • yogsvr4
    yogsvr4 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good luck not going for the diet soda. Been drinking it for over 40 years, but for me, it was never the cause for me to gain or lose weight.