Help! How do I get started with weights?

Options
Hello all! I’ve just recently started to try and get back into shape l. I’ve got about 50 pounds to lose until im a healthy weight for my body type. Recently I’ve gotten a gym membership and I’ve been mostly going for cardio. I’ve been wanting to explore the weight machines but have no idea how to start. Anyone have any tips? How much weights should I really be doing if I have a lot of fat to lose? Any tips?

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Have a trainer show you around, then pick a program that suits you best. https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    One thing to do is to watch others and also read the machine. You might also want to get yourself a small notebook or something to keep track of what weight you used on each machine. If you are just starting out then take the pin all the way out, adjust the machine so that it is comfortable for you to use it, then try it with the least amount of weight to get the range of motion needed to do the exercise. Then add some weight and try to do some reps. If it seems light add more weight and eventually you will get to know how much.

Oh and since you seem to be a pretty lady you could try to chat up one of the guys to help you out. ;-) Trainers at gyms are there to make money for the gym and themselves. If you can afford one that is also a great way to get yourself started.

There are also plenty of youtube videos out there as well. If you have the time to sit and watch them. I think I need to open a gym and have someone create an APP that would help people use machines. Like scan a code and then a video shows you how to use it.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
  • gsayer2013
    gsayer2013 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Start of with a medium size weight, like 8-10kg and aim for between 12-16 reps at a time. Try for about 3 sets.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Here is a beginners machine workout. (Below)

As with free weights, start light and work on form.

Using free weights, dumbbell or barbell is the preferred method of weight training as you are using your more of your own muscles to move the weight rather than depending on the machine.

I don't think there is anything wrong with incorporating machines into a routine, but be aware if you move to free weights the weight you move will drop.

Cheers, h.
    https://www.bodybuilding.com/content/ultimate-beginners-machine-workout-for-women.html
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    If you're comfortable with the free weights I'd suggest Stronglifts 5x5. It's incredibly simple and hits all the major muscle groups. https://stronglifts.com/5x5/
  • StatsGuy99
    StatsGuy99 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    To echo what middlehaitch said, start light and focus on form. This will help you to avoid injury and develop good habits. The Athlean-X channel on YouTube has a lot of great videos on form.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCe0TLA0EsQbE-MjuHXevj2A
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I like to start on the machines with very light weight every other day. I then start to go up about 10 pounds a week when I feel that it is too easy. The point is to start getting fit but not fall into the "I am so sore it hurts to move" or worse and get injured. After that you can go into the free weights if you like.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Sorry I must be in a comical mood today because my first thought was, pick weight up, put it down. I think there was a commercial for some gym that had a big muscle guy saying this over and over. Any ways, I see you got some good advice from above so I'll get out of the way! Good luck!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    Do a web search for beginner weight lifting routines and pick one. Follow it. If you like it, continue, if you don't, try another. I like Strong Lift 5x5 referenced above. There are several/many.
  • Barrera1010
    Barrera1010 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Where there is a will there is a way. Go to the gym, ask questions.