Doesn't make sense!

Options

Replies

• Mprilly
    Mprilly Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    If your period is due, you might just be retaining water too.

Not for 4 weeks, though...ha ha!
  • Mprilly
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If it's been a month I would double check my diary.

If you aren't using a food scale chances are you are eating more than you think.

All these posts about be grateful or cortisol are muddying the waters.

Are you using a food scale to weight your food and logging that food by weight?

If not there is your issue.

and to be honest even if your PT is looking at your diary they aren't there when you eat the food.

No, I am not using a food scale. I didn't realize it was necessary. Thanks for your input.

They can make a huge difference! They're only around $20 on Amazon and you'll make fewer dirty dishes with measuring cups and spoons. I really love mine!

Thank you! I feel a little intimidated about using one, since I never have, but apparently I need to.
  • Mprilly
    Options
    maura_tasi wrote: »
    I HIGHLY recommend a food scale! I got mine for $12 at target. I had no idea the portions I thought were correct were actually way larger than the suggested serving size. I was essentially eating a couple hundred extra calories that I didn't even realize about. Make sure you're accounting for cooking oils/butters as well since they have sneaky high calories in them. I was barely losing any weight until I started weighing my food properly and then my weight loss really jump started! Don't get discouraged. You're so early in the weight loss journey it's better to fix things right away so you can be successful in the long run!

Thanks so much! I am really grateful for the encouragement!
  • Mprilly
    Options
    toxikon wrote: »

If you aren't using a food scale chances are you are eating more than you think.

and to be honest even if your PT is looking at your diary they aren't there when you eat the food.

No, I am not using a food scale. I didn't realize it was necessary. Thanks for your input.

They can make a huge difference! They're only around $20 on Amazon and you'll make fewer dirty dishes with measuring cups and spoons. I really love mine!

Thank you! I feel a little intimidated about using one, since I never have, but apparently I need to.

I found it an invaluable tool when I was losing and still do even in maintenance.

only thing I will say is make sure it weighs in grams and has a tare button (zeros out the weight)

for example today at lunch I put my plate on mine and turned it on.

it displayed 0...I put my chicken on it...146 grams...hit tare button (scale went to 0) added my cheese 20 grams...hit my tare button scale went to 0 added my veggies...

makes life very easy....less dirty dishes and more accuracy.

Wow! Awesome! Thank you for the tips! Super helpful!
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I mean honestly it sounds like you lost a lot of weight quickly, which was mostly water weight, and now your body weight is just catching up. Just stay the course, and if it keeps happening start with making sure your diary is accurate by logging everything you eat, and weighing all solids, and measuring all liquids.
  • Mprilly
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »
    I mean honestly it sounds like you lost a lot of weight quickly, which was mostly water weight, and now your body weight is just catching up. Just stay the course, and if it keeps happening start with making sure your diary is accurate by logging everything you eat, and weighing all solids, and measuring all liquids.

Thank you!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I found that adding exercise temporarily stalled my weight loss, even if I ate the same. Within a few weeks it started dropping again.

I also found out by daily weighing that I lost all my weight within one week in a month, and that the timing was related to my TOM. If I ate consistently then the weight would come off....all at once.

Having a LOT to lose is fine. Getting it off FASTER won't necessarily help you. A month a week is sustainable and you should see significant results in a few months. Really.

What the exercise will get you is greater flexibility, endurance, confidence, and strength. Exercise is my favourite part of getting my life under control.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here is giving you AWESOME advice, definitely take it, especially regarding the food scale.

One other tip is to recalibrate your calories every ten pounds lost or so. That's been my rule of thumb. I was losing on 1,800 calories when I started, I'm down to almost 1,200 if I want to lose 2lbs/week. As you lose, your TDEE changes. What was a deficit can become maintenance, especially if you're not weighing your food.

Stalls are fairly common. I was stalled out for about 6 weeks in August-September. Gained and lost the same two pounds over and over again, then lost 8 pounds in one week. You just have to be REALLY patient and not give up. It can become a discouraging process, but getting a trending app can really help too.

Keep in mind that at the beginning of the year, you'd have KILLED to be under 300. And now you are!! Keep at it!!
  • Mprilly
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    Honestly 1 month isn't enough to expect consistent trackable weight loss...even weight loss of 5 pounds can be lost in the noise of water retention. Trust in your system, continue for longer. If you haven't lost weight in 3 months then I'd be concerned.

The "trick" as it were is to make sure you are accurately logging your intake and past that to just trust that it isn't possible to eat that little and not lose weight and therefore you just need to be consistent and wait. If you knee-jerk change what you are doing everytime the scale doesn't move in the way you'd like on the time scale of weeks you are just going to shoot yourself in the foot and cause yourself more stress than is necessary.

Interesting. Thanks!
  • Mprilly
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I found that adding exercise temporarily stalled my weight loss, even if I ate the same. Within a few weeks it started dropping again.

I also found out by daily weighing that I lost all my weight within one week in a month, and that the timing was related to my TOM. If I ate consistently then the weight would come off....all at once.

Having a LOT to lose is fine. Getting it off FASTER won't necessarily help you. A month a week is sustainable and you should see significant results in a few months. Really.

What the exercise will get you is greater flexibility, endurance, confidence, and strength. Exercise is my favourite part of getting my life under control.

Thank you! I hope to get to that point of exercising being my favorite part...ha ha!
  • Mprilly
    Options
    aeloine wrote: »
    Everyone on here is giving you AWESOME advice, definitely take it, especially regarding the food scale.

One other tip is to recalibrate your calories every ten pounds lost or so. That's been my rule of thumb. I was losing on 1,800 calories when I started, I'm down to almost 1,200 if I want to lose 2lbs/week. As you lose, your TDEE changes. What was a deficit can become maintenance, especially if you're not weighing your food.

Stalls are fairly common. I was stalled out for about 6 weeks in August-September. Gained and lost the same two pounds over and over again, then lost 8 pounds in one week. You just have to be REALLY patient and not give up. It can become a discouraging process, but getting a trending app can really help too.

Keep in mind that at the beginning of the year, you'd have KILLED to be under 300. And now you are!! Keep at it!!

Thank you! I love what you had to say! I'm really grateful for the encouragement!
  • Mprilly
    Options
    natasor1 wrote: »
    If you want to know how much your water retention, u simply avoid all carbs for 2-3 days. Also do not use any salt. For 2-3days you not gonna kill yourself, but it gives u real picture

Thanks!
  • monica182
    monica182 Posts: 60 Member
    Options

This is really important. If you are using a scale to weigh and measure then you can be pretty confident about the diet side of things. I weigh everything that goes in my mouth when I eat at home, which is most of the time. I use the recipe builder when I am cooking to work out fairly precisely what is in the meals I cook. It's a bit tedious at first but now it only takes a few minutes. The only time I don't weigh is if it is pre packaged yoghurt or muesli bar or something like that so there is room for error there but the weight loss seems to be averaging out 2lbs week as set in my goals so I don't think it makes much difference.
  • jff_gan
    jff_gan Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. I've had my share of frustrations over the 2 years since I decided to change my food habits and started logging my food, but I've lost quite a lot of weight though I've not hit my goal yet. All the best. You can do it. Don't stress yourself out.
  • pogiguy05
    pogiguy05 Posts: 1,583 Member
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate 5lbs in a day from not drinking enough water. Just stick with your diet and exercise and like others suggested a food scale cause you would be very surprised on what a SERVING really is on labels.
  • sgtx81
    sgtx81 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    If you're eating or drinking anything before you weigh, that can make a difference too. I'm like a camel with drinking water. Once I weighed, and that damned scale had me like 6 pounds heavier just two days after the previous weigh-in.

I always weigh with the same clothes, and I was like, great my clothes are getting fat now. That or I'd managed to pick up some extra gravity on the way to the scale because I know I've been watching my caloric intake like a hawk and that couldn't have been the problem.

Normally I do my scale surfing closer to the beginning of the day before I eat or drink anything. The time the six extra pounds appeared, I'd weighed after dinner and drinking water and coffee. I usually down 38 oz cups of h2O and 22 oz cups of joe at a time.

I consulted my log to see how much the water and coffee weighed, plus the weight of dinner. It turned out that's where the extra weight came from.

The next day I checked again before eating or drinking, and it was back where it should have been.

There are so many different things that could be throwing you off a bit right now, just go down the list of things you've seen ppl say here and try crossing em off one by one.