Question about low carb eating

Options
I’d like to try a lower carb eating plan, and I’m not sure what percentage of my diet should be carbs/protein/fats. I’ve done Atkins in the past and lost 25 pounds, but I want something sustainable. Any successful low carbers have some feedback?

Replies

• erika_307
    erika_307 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing keto/ LCHF for over 4 months. I did 20 net carbs until I reached my goal weight, now I stay under 50 total grams. It has worked very well for me. I find it to be more sustainable than other diets because cutting out sugar cuts out cravings. I definitely have days where I go over my carbs or calories, but I have yet to touch a piece of bread or candy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I’d like to try a lower carb eating plan, and I’m not sure what percentage of my diet should be carbs/protein/fats. I’ve done Atkins in the past and lost 25 pounds, but I want something sustainable. Any successful low carbers have some feedback?

under 100g per day is thought of as 'low carb' so maybe start there?
  • JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    Options

under 100g per day is thought of as 'low carb' so maybe start there?

Agreed, I would not immediately drop to under 50 carbs, start at about 100 see how you feel and adjust down from there.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Agree with the posts. Generally speaking, under 100g of Carbs would be - generally speaking - considered "low carb".

Now, I ask this (and not judging and not going anywhere with this) - why low carb? Do you - like me - have Insulin Resistance? Or, do you prefer fatty foods (I like both Carbs and Fats).

Are you super active? Do you train in the gym? Keep in mind that if you are very active or do train in the gym, that going too low might cause some issues for you. *MIGHT*! Everyone is different. Also, if you go really high protein and low carb then be aware of what *could* happen there (your body will turn protein into glucose). That is a very expensive process (talking about for your body.....to turn protein into glucose is a very involved process for your liver......better not have any liver issues!).

I am currently doing a low carb nutritional plan due to IR. I am also following Intermittent Fasting (doing the 16 hours fast | 8 hours consume food plan). If you do follow IF, then be aware of the studies that show that a 12 hour fast is not super effective (I believe that you need at least 14 hours for the good effects to really take).

And, keep in mind that everyone is different. If "low carbs" works for you, then all the more power to you. I am playing with the notion of Keto eventually, but I have way too much experimenting to do before I commit to that. Low carb (and, doing net carbs - so Carbs - Fiber = net carbs) seems to be working for me - generally speaking. Just getting back into the gym so I am playing with the timing.

I also - and this is likely a more personal thing - find that sweet potatoes work so much better for me than brown rice. I felt like I was cramming my face with food all the time when I was eating brown rice (between one cup and two cups a day) but with eating two sweet potatoes a day and doing one about two hours before my training session and then about 30 minutes after works really well. So, my point here - it might depend on what you are eating as carbs. Maybe, maybe not. It *SEEMS* to for me.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Low carb for me is below 130 grams...it just depends on how restrictive with carbs you want to be. I personally think the whole keto thing is over the top.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    All levels of low carb can be sustainable if you find a level that agrees with you.

I find staying under 20g of carbs a day works best for me. Others do bets under 60g, others under 100-150g. It depends on your health needs and tastes.

Atkins starts at a ketogenic (under 20-50g of carbs) level but increases carbs for most after a couple of weeks. I have been doing phase 1 for a few years, for weight loss and maintenance. Others dioslike phase 1 and prefer more carbs. Do what works best for you.
  • rocknrobin65
    rocknrobin65 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Agree with the posts. Generally speaking, under 100g of Carbs would be - generally speaking - considered "low carb".

Now, I ask this (and not judging and not going anywhere with this) - why low carb? Do you - like me - have Insulin Resistance? Or, do you prefer fatty foods (I like both Carbs and Fats).

Are you super active? Do you train in the gym? Keep in mind that if you are very active or do train in the gym, that going too low might cause some issues for you. *MIGHT*! Everyone is different. Also, if you go really high protein and low carb then be aware of what *could* happen there (your body will turn protein into glucose). That is a very expensive process (talking about for your body.....to turn protein into glucose is a very involved process for your liver......better not have any liver issues!).

I am currently doing a low carb nutritional plan due to IR. I am also following Intermittent Fasting (doing the 16 hours fast | 8 hours consume food plan). If you do follow IF, then be aware of the studies that show that a 12 hour fast is not super effective (I believe that you need at least 14 hours for the good effects to really take).

And, keep in mind that everyone is different. If "low carbs" works for you, then all the more power to you. I am playing with the notion of Keto eventually, but I have way too much experimenting to do before I commit to that. Low carb (and, doing net carbs - so Carbs - Fiber = net carbs) seems to be working for me - generally speaking. Just getting back into the gym so I am playing with the timing.

I also - and this is likely a more personal thing - find that sweet potatoes work so much better for me than brown rice. I felt like I was cramming my face with food all the time when I was eating brown rice (between one cup and two cups a day) but with eating two sweet potatoes a day and doing one about two hours before my training session and then about 30 minutes after works really well. So, my point here - it might depend on what you are eating as carbs. Maybe, maybe not. It *SEEMS* to for me.

• rocknrobin65
    Options
    I really struggle with sugar addiction. Every time I’ve given up sugar, I feel great. If I stay away from it, I get over the cravings in about four days. I do feel like I could maintain a lowish carb plan - especially if it kick started some weight loss.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    As I recall, Atkins allows 100 g per day. You didn't find that sustainable or you wouldn't be asking now. So what was not sustainable about that? Are you wanting an even lower number now? Obviously 100g or les, Some as low as 25g , is considered low carb depending on who you ask.
    Just start cutting back your sugar if that's your main goal.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    Options
    a_candler wrote: »
    I work at an elementary school and currently 90% of the staff is doing Low carb. they are very restrictive on their diets. You Need carbs for energy and the idea that fat is "better" for you than healthy carbs from whole wheat and fruit boggles my mind. Moderation is KEY with everything, carbs included.

Fat and carbs are primary energy sources. In fact, during non strenuous activity, fat is the preferred choice. Ultimately, there are benefits to a variety of diets. And if a lower carb diet, which can includes lots of veggies and some fruit, is found to be more sustainable, then its the best approach.

I do agree with others that tapering down carbs to find your sweet spot might be ideal.
  • grinning_chick
    grinning_chick Posts: 765 Member
    Options

Did you not climb the increasing carb rungs after the two weeks of Induction in order to determine what, for you, is the amount of carb in grams per day at which you lose, gain, or maintain?
  • rocknrobin65
    Options

Did you not climb the increasing carb rungs after the two weeks of Induction in order to determine what, for you, is the amount of carb in grams per day at which you lose, gain, or maintain?

Yes, I maintained quite well for 8 months, then I got pregnant. I increased my carbs somewhat, but stayed away from sugar and bread. I gained 26 pounds during pregnancy and then my eating habits changed while I was breastfeeding. I was hungry all.the.time.