Beautiful Behaviors -- October 2017

Options
This thread will be for people who are focusing on creating a set of gorgeous habits that support a healthy lifestyle.

Weight loss is a byproduct, and not the focus. We will practice self-care by eating healthy foods, moving our bodies, drinking enough water, and other activities that make us FEEL GOOD without harmful effects.

For example, taking an hour with your current book on your favorite lounge chair is a great way to take care of yourself. Get a massage or facial, spend time with a friend, crafting… all good ways to make us feel good without the harmful effects of immediate gratification activities like overeating or indulging in other unhealthy activities. It’s all about taking care of ourselves and loving ourselves and making ourselves happy EVEN IF we are not at a weight we love right now.

Yes, we want to lose weight, but there’s more to life than that. Sometimes giving yourself a foot massage will keep you from the donut. Sometimes it won’t but you will still feel better.

This is a judgment free zone. Let’s support each other and leave the negativity offline. I’m tired of beating myself up about my size. I want to plan to do the best I can and not feel guilty about life getting in the way.

I’m a big believer in baby steps, and setting realistic goals, and celebrating every little success! No reason we can’t enjoy the journey to a healthier lifestyle, no reason we have to feel “wrong” because we are where we are.

If you like the way this sounds, please introduce yourself in this thread. Share whatever you like and come back often! I look forward to meeting people with similar attitudes towards life.

Replies

• Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I fell off the map for a few weeks there. My therapy sessions have been going really well, and I've managed to keep my gym routine consistent! I am not excited about the $ the gym costs, but I try to imagine how I feel when I'm done with a workout. It totally feels worth the money afterwards! I feel guilty on rest days though.. I wish my insurance covered the gym!
  • artbyrachelh
    artbyrachelh Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Cool idea, OP.
  • finngirl61
    finngirl61 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Thanks for keeping this post going. I've fallen off the wagon for awhile and need help getting motivated again. You women are all so incredible. But I'm struggling.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Struggling recently to get my weight back down. I lost and kept the majority of it off for almost 8 months, but gradually put a few more lbs on. I've tried lots of different things but it's still higher than I'm happy with. I've also retired and going through that happy but confusing transition. Today, I went for my third walk this afternoon (normally I do two a day and then just stay busy moving around.). The weather is fabulous and even though I could get some more housework steps I took the dog for a second walk and I'm thinking I'll do this whenever possible. Not sure if it will break the plateau but it definitely upped my mood. ( I taught..and I always missed being outside!)
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    I want to be a part of beautiful behaviors,I quit drinking alcohol,want to quit smoking and start weight training,I live in Las Vegas and this has been a painful week yet a proud week cuz I see how much this tragedy has brought the good out in the community
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    I want to be a part of beautiful behaviors,I quit drinking alcohol,want to quit smoking and start weight training,I live in Las Vegas and this has been a painful week yet a proud week cuz I see how much this tragedy has brought the good out in the community
    Prayers for you and your city. The response from your city reminds all of us that there are heroes and caring people who will always step up.
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! It's so good to see everyone posting. My health has given me fits. I'm trying a different approach with Dr. Gundry's low lectin diet. So far, I've lost the rash that covered my chest! Yay! However, something is making me jittery so I'm not sleeping well. 1-2 hours a night for 3 nights in a row, and then sleep all day the fourth day.

So my beautiful behavior is to drink herbal tea and massage my feet while reciting, "it's okay. It really is".

Love to all.

Lea
  • Mithridites
    Mithridites Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    aleahurst wrote: »
    Hello everyone! It's so good to see everyone posting. My health has given me fits. I'm trying a different approach with Dr. Gundry's low lectin diet. So far, I've lost the rash that covered my chest! Yay! However, something is making me jittery so I'm not sleeping well. 1-2 hours a night for 3 nights in a row, and then sleep all day the fourth day.

So my beautiful behavior is to drink herbal tea and massage my feet while reciting, "it's okay. It really is".

Love to all.

Lea

Glad to see you're hanging in there Lea. Your fortitude is a great example. I'm wishing for some of your stoicism. My foot injury has flared up the last couple of days. And here I was doing so well going to the gym several times a week and really making progres. I did go swimming today and did many beneficial foot exercises and also spent quality time with my parents. So it was still a beautiful (behavior) day. Wishing you a good night's sleep , Lea
  • aleahurst
    aleahurst Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    @Mithridites - awwwww. What a wonderful message to find when I woke up! 4 hours last night. It's an improvement.

We take care of the feet! They're our best form of transportation!

@whitpauly - I'm praying for your community. Let me encourage you to do something purposefully calming for yourself. When I gave up alcohol my life bored me to tears! Then irritated me. Then scared me. Then disgusted me. Finally, I enjoy short boring moments of friendship and nature as if they are tiny precious jewels of time. You have an awesome future ahead.

Today, my beautiful behavior just may be enjoying some outdoor time - barefooted. I love to feel "mother earth" and think about all the generations of ancestors who may have walked here.

Love to all.

Lea
  • finngirl61
    Options
    Hang in there @alehurst! What about warm milk and cocoa? To @whitpauly, congrats on giving up alcohol! It WILL get better! Thinking of all you incredible, courageous women.
  • finngirl61
    Options
    How is everyone doing? Weight is up so still struggling, but going to try again. Anyone heard of a weight loss smash journal?
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    What a great thread! I’m an exotic dancer, so beauty and attraction is a part of my job, and things can get twisted. I really believe that inner beauty gives us a glow that no makeup can mimic. It changes how we carry ourselves, conduct ourselves, and see the world. I strive to grow my power of attraction from the inside, while taking care of my body also. By the time my sex appeal wanes, I hope I won’t care bc I’ll be off enjoying the life I’ve built and the relationships I’ve fostered. I tell myself: Don’t just try to look beautiful; be beautiful!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm struggling in so many areas of my life that I don't even know where to start. But this thread seems like a great motivator and inspiring place to be. My beautiful behavior today is going to be to take a walk on this beautiful autumn day and enjoy the colors. I need some time spent enjoying nature and being grateful for the day.
  • finngirl61
    Options
    Do we hopefully have a post for November?
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Today, I went by my local vfw and looked into joining. I’ve never been in one, but I like to play pool. I’m kinda new to my area, and I’d like some more connection here.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Today, I went by my local vfw and looked into joining. I’ve never been in one, but I like to play pool. I’m kinda new to my area, and I’d like some more connection here.

Good idea! Hope you enjoy it. :)
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    Is anyone still around? I miss this thread. I'm going to start a Beautiful Behaviors 2018 thread and hope to see everyone there! :)