Sweets!

Options
Is anyone else literally addicted to sweets? If it wasn't for sweets I would weigh like 90 lbs! Ugh so frustrating I feel like I have tried everything. The minute I eat a sweet I can't stop and eat the whole thing!

Replies

• dinadyna21
    dinadyna21 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Have you tried putting the sweets out of sight? Or maybe logging it before you eat it? Sometimes it helps me to put my sweets in a cupboard separate from my food. Outta sight outta mind.
    Plus if you log the treat before eating it helps interrupt the cycle of consuming too many. Chocolate is my weakness, so I try to basically hide it from myself lol
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Either do not buy them, buy only one portion or do what I do and stick them in the freezer so that they take longer to get through and you have to think more before getting some.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Have fruit.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I usually don't keep them around the house. If I want a candy bar, I'll go and buy one at the store - and just one. If I want a dish of ice cream, I'll go to the ice cream parlor near my house and get a dish. That not only limits the number of calories I can ingest, it makes getting a candy bar or ice cream parlor a special occasion - and the drive lets me think about whether I really really want to spend the calories on the treat right then. Sometimes the answer is no, and I've turned around and gone back home without buying the treat.

Maybe you could buy one of those little safes they make for kids with a combination lock and keep your sweets in there. Having to get the safe out and entering the combination buys some time - again, it makes you decide whether you really want to spend the calories - it's buying time.
  • Famof72015
    Famof72015 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I budget a snickers bar into my daily allowance just about everyday!! And if I'm really wanting a lot of chocolate I'll do a whole bunch of fun size chocolate usually 250 Cals worth.
  • Etsar73
    Etsar73 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't keep sweets in the house, if l did l will eat them all. I only keep some orange infused dark chocolate because it gives me my chocolate fix but it's so rich l only need a square to feel satisfied. Or just buy a small fix when you go shopping. I agree with the freezer thing too, l keep my chocolate there.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    I usually don't keep them around the house. If I want a candy bar, I'll go and buy one at the store - and just one. If I want a dish of ice cream, I'll go to the ice cream parlor near my house and get a dish. That not only limits the number of calories I can ingest, it makes getting a candy bar or ice cream parlor a special occasion - and the drive lets me think about whether I really really want to spend the calories on the treat right then. Sometimes the answer is no, and I've turned around and gone back home without buying the treat.

Maybe you could buy one of those little safes they make for kids with a combination lock and keep your sweets in there. Having to get the safe out and entering the combination buys some time - again, it makes you decide whether you really want to spend the calories - it's buying time.

This, except I walk instead of drive.
  • imanibelle
    imanibelle Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean. I wouldnt say I'm addicted, but I seem to struggle alot with limiting myself when it comes to sweets, especially when I'm limiting my calorie intake. I've struggled for years. I'd have been at my goal weight a year ago if not for this. I've tried abstinence, but I binge. I've tried having only a portion, but I break down and binge eventually. I've tried making is so that I have to leave the house to get a portion of sweets that fits into my day. Sometimes that helps, sometimes not. But I've found limiting the availability of surplus junk food around the house helps.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of sugar but cut back several years ago and now use stevia or other substitutes when I want or need something sweet. During the day I do OK with regular foods and things like fruits for snack. But my biggest problem has always been after dinner snacking. I do like and crave chocolate and find that if someone leaves cookies or candies around I will eat quite a few before I stop. My way to get around this is to eat low calorie desserts. My new favorite is Breyer's "Carb Smart" fudge bars-70 calories, low carb. I think they are delicious. I also eat other things like 0 sugar chocolate pudding or Jello parfaits, all under 100 calories. Even a hot cocoa or mocha made with cashew milk, cocoa powder, & stevia will hit the spot before bedtime. I always leave at least 200 calories for after dinner snacking which I believe is an important and necessary part of my daily diet.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    When i went low carb i was amazed on how it killed my desire for sweets. you may want to try that.