Petite girls : 5ft or under

Options
2»

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    I didn't woo you, and I didn't laugh at you @Sunnybrooke99, I did a smile so you might know I was being friendly.

Being petite myself, (note I weigh the same as you) I understand how little we get to eat compared to an average size woman.
    If your calories are keeping you in maintenance and you are not overly tired after work, you are eating enough.

Cheers, h.
  • PowerliftingMom
    PowerliftingMom Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    5'0", 58 years old. I'm bulking so my calories are 2200. My maintenance calories are probably closer to 2000? I lift 4 days/week and do NO cardio. I never eat back my earned exercise calories.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11. When losing I was eating 1200 calories plus 1/2 of my exercise calories unless I was really hungry then I'd eat back more. I am now maintaining at around 100 pounds where I average 2100 calories a day with around 500 calories being burnt a day with exercise which has my NEAT at around 1600.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    I can’t imagine why anyone would mock and laugh at me for my size and maintenance calories. I’m 36 and I’ve been this size since 18, which little fluctuation. I’m not even skinny. I’m just really short and small.

1) I doubt anyone is mocking you for your size. If they are, they're jerks;

2) You also cannot assume that anyone is 'mocking' you for your calorie intake, you are reading an emotion into that that may not exist. More likely, they are questioning what is a very low calorie intake.

The fact is, at your height and activity level, you should be able to eat several hundred more calories to maintain. Even at sedentary you should be able to eat more than that. So, something is off: either you're eating more than you think, you are one hell of an outlier, or something is very, very wrong. Personally, I would want to know if it were the latter rather than just accepting it.

Not mocking you in any way, actually trying to be helpful.

I just put my stats into a calorie caluculator. At 103, it says I need 1275 to maintain if I’m sedentary (which I am if I don’t work or exercise. I consider my work to be exercise.) I could see that being possible. But then it’s normal for me to be 97 lbs also. I’m really small. Like a 12 year old. I was only 101, when I was in the army.

Are you eating 1000-1200 calories all up (including exercise calories) or that amount net? I can not see how it could be that amount all up if your job is physically demanding and not be losing weight at a rapid rate unless there is a medical issue or your logging is very inaccurate. Eating thatlus exercise calories makes sense though.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    I can’t imagine why anyone would mock and laugh at me for my size and maintenance calories. I’m 36 and I’ve been this size since 18, which little fluctuation. I’m not even skinny. I’m just really short and small.

2) You also cannot assume that anyone is 'mocking' you for your calorie intake, you are reading an emotion into that that may not exist. More likely, they are questioning what is a very low calorie intake.

The fact is, at your height and activity level, you should be able to eat several hundred more calories to maintain. Even at sedentary you should be able to eat more than that. So, something is off: either you're eating more than you think, you are one hell of an outlier, or something is very, very wrong. Personally, I would want to know if it were the latter rather than just accepting it.

I just put my stats into a calorie caluculator. At 103, it says I need 1275 to maintain if I’m sedentary (which I am if I don’t work or exercise. I consider my work to be exercise.) I could see that being possible. But then it’s normal for me to be 97 lbs also. I’m really small. Like a 12 year old. I was only 101, when I was in the army.

Are you eating 1000-1200 calories all up (including exercise calories) or that amount net? I can not see how it could be that amount all up if your job is physically demanding and not be losing weight at a rapid rate unless there is a medical issue or your logging is very inaccurate. Eating thatlus exercise calories makes sense though.

1000-1200 doesn’t include exercise. I’d say it’s my mean tho. I don’t burn much when I exercise bc my weight is already so low. Maybe 300 for an hour at the gym. I’d say I eat back ab 2/3 of that currently, but 103 is still a little heavy for me. At 19/20 BMI, I’m ab 98 lbs. I’m actually a little under 4’11”. my job is physically demanding, but I only work a few days per week, and I mostly lie around when not working. I’m not starving, and I usually have a couple glasses of wine per day. I get physicals yearly through the va. My Dr. said I’m just small, and that it’s normal. Every woman in my family is small like me, and I grew up eating small portions, and avoiding high calorie foods. I never get a full burger, a side of fries, more than two pieces of pizza, or anything more than a child scoop of ice cream. My mom and I still split all meals if we go out.
  • Lillymoo01
    Options

1000-1200 doesn’t include exercise. I’d say it’s my mean tho. I don’t burn much when I exercise bc my weight is already so low. Maybe 300 for an hour at the gym. I’d say I eat back ab 2/3 of that currently, but 103 is still a little heavy for me. At 19/20 BMI, I’m ab 98 lbs. I’m actually a little under 4’11”. my job is physically demanding, but I only work a few days per week, and I mostly lie around when not working. I’m not starving, and I usually have a couple glasses of wine per day. I get physicals yearly through the va. My Dr. said I’m just small, and that it’s normal. Every woman in my family is small like me, and I grew up eating small portions, and avoiding high calorie foods. I never get a full burger, a side of fries, more than two pieces of pizza, or anything more than a child scoop of ice cream. My mom and I still split all meals if we go out.

That is why you were getting wooed. People assumed you were eating only 1000-1200 all up which is definately undereating, even for someone our size. That as a net amount is quite normal.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    edited November 2017
    Options
    5'0", 58 years old. I'm bulking so my calories are 2200. My maintenance calories are probably closer to 2000? I lift 4 days/week and do NO cardio. I never eat back my earned exercise calories.

It looks like you have a much different build than me. As a soldier, I ate like that, and stayed around 101. I had way more muscle than now tho. Maybe my job doesn’t use that many calories. I’m an exotic dancer. It’s nothing like when I was in the military. Prolly just a couple hundred extra when I work. I hope you are able to keep it up, and keep being so active.
  • Whitezombiegirl
    Whitezombiegirl Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    5ft here. I eat 800-1000 to lose. I don't generally eat excersise calories unless Im hungry, in which case I might have a small snack. I don't do much exercise though.
  • ImmortalFire
    ImmortalFire Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    woooo finally found my niche!!! 5'1.5 My normal eating pattern's around 1300-1400 (IF) and do a decent amount of exercise. Trying to work on body comp for the summer (Im a southern hemisphere dweller) so not overly concerned by weight persay. Plan atm is to up the exercise and back eat if I'm hungry :)
  • kogome
    kogome Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm a 5'0" flat college senior and weigh 102. I eat a goal of about 1200 per day to lose weight and try not to eat back my exercise calories. I'm trying to get back to around 95 lbs (my weight at the start of college) but I'm having a hard time losing weight because I don't have much time to exercise.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    @Sunnybrooke99 - I wanted to ask but did not know how to ask (so many people have a totally incorrect idea of what 'exotic dancer' means) based on the second picture. Totally looks like that is where you work. All good, girl! Do you thing. I am not afraid to admit that I go to the local club here in Winston-Salem. The girls there are amazing athletes and I really enjoy the ladies who have amazing skills on the pole. But, what separates the good ones from the amazing one is the transition from pole to ground and then again from ground to pole. Anyway, I digress.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Sunnybrooke99 - I looked at an on-line TDEE Calculator and guessed your age to be 23. Here are the results:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,063 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,275 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,461 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,647 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 1,833 calories per day
    Athlete 2,019 calories per day

So, keep in mind that this is maintenance and that this is based on a generic formula. Use it as a starting point. You would need to play with nutrition for a few weeks to see how this works out for you....read: to get your real numbers.

I would wonder aloud if a Dr. is the right person to be asking about nutrition. They honestly have little idea about this stuff - generally speaking.

So, based on these numbers (again, keep in mind that they are simply a starting point) you are close to your BMR, which is likely not a good thing. On paper, anyway.

So, besides your job, how often do you train? And, if I might ask, how many nights do you work a week. I do not think folks really understand the amount energy required by your job. I am friendly with a couple of the girls (no, nothing like that....) and have taken a couple of pole dancing classes offered by one of the top performers there. WOW! Give me HEAVY bench, dead lifts and squats on one day with 90 seconds rest in between each set! Those classes were tough!

So, you might want to revisit your logging? And weighing your foods? You might be eating more than you think! I find that when I was starting out with logging (I do not use mfp for that, sorry....just don't) and with weighing | portioning (is that even a word? It is now!) that I was close some times but not so close other times. And, the times where I was not close was on the dense foods - read: I was way off!

Just a suggestion. Stay strong and lean!

EDITED> Saw her age and ran the TDEE Calculator again. So, upped age from 23 to 36 (dang, my bad!)
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    @jennydelgado09 _ I did the same thing for you! Here are the numbers from an on-line TDEE Calculator and I guessed your age to be 30:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,301 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,562 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,790 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,017 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,245 calories per day
    Athlete 2,473 calories per day

You can afford to be a little more aggressive with nutrition if you wanted to amp up your journey towards your goal weight. Doing things slow and steady is usually the long-term way to do things so that I what I am going to suggest, but everyone is different. And I know that people tend to want things now (we are in a society where instant gratification is king - for some reason!).

As mentioned, please keep in mind that this TDEE on-line calculator is based on a generic formula (it actually uses the same formula that MFP uses for determing BMR...and it is the most accurate - generally speaking). So, take these numbers (see above) with a grain of salt and consider using them as a starting point.

Also, keep in mind that these numbers are maintenance. So, if you want to cut, you would be eating less than the numbers above and if you wanted to bulk then you would be eating more than the numbers above.

It looks like you compete? If so, awesome! :smiley:
  • Sunnybrooke99
    edited November 2017
    Options
    @Sunnybrooke99 - I looked at an on-line TDEE Calculator and guessed your age to be 23. Here are the results:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,063 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,275 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,461 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 1,647 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 1,833 calories per day
    Athlete 2,019 calories per day

So, keep in mind that this is maintenance and that this is based on a generic formula. Use it as a starting point. You would need to play with nutrition for a few weeks to see how this works out for you....read: to get your real numbers.

I would wonder aloud if a Dr. is the right person to be asking about nutrition. They honestly have little idea about this stuff - generally speaking.

So, based on these numbers (again, keep in mind that they are simply a starting point) you are close to your BMR, which is likely not a good thing. On paper, anyway.

So, besides your job, how often do you train? And, if I might ask, how many nights do you work a week. I do not think folks really understand the amount energy required by your job. I am friendly with a couple of the girls (no, nothing like that....) and have taken a couple of pole dancing classes offered by one of the top performers there. WOW! Give me HEAVY bench, dead lifts and squats on one day with 90 seconds rest in between each set! Those classes were tough!

So, you might want to revisit your logging? And weighing your foods? You might be eating more than you think! I find that when I was starting out with logging (I do not use mfp for that, sorry....just don't) and with weighing | portioning (is that even a word? It is now!) that I was close some times but not so close other times. And, the times where I was not close was on the dense foods - read: I was way off!

Just a suggestion. Stay strong and lean!

EDITED> Saw her age and ran the TDEE Calculator again. So, upped age from 23 to 36 (dang, my bad!)

Interesting. That’s not too far off from what I figured. Between 1000-1200 not counting exercise. I only work three or four day a week at work, and it really is a work out, if it’s a busy day. I think it might balance out with the lazing around I do on days off though. I just recently joined a gym, which is why I got back on here. I didn’t want to go overboard (by eating too little) if I was burning more and needed more food. Yes, most dancers are deceptively strong. It’s like belly dancing while doing squats and all the while trying to look sexy :P

As far as when I logging goes, I actully have the habit of over estimating calories in food. My issue is drinking too much wine, partly bc it’s so nice to drink at work, but then I want some to unwind at home too. Being more accountable ab drinking, and not overdoing dieting is why I’m here.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    Options
    Yes, ma'am! Deceptively strong is a very good way to put it!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options

That is why you were getting wooed. People assumed you were eating only 1000-1200 all up which is definately undereating, even for someone our size. That as a net amount is quite normal.

That’s still a pretty jacked up reason to laugh in someone’s face. Thank you to anyone who bothered to ask for clarification and didn’t just mock me.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

That’s still a pretty jacked up reason to laugh in someone’s face. Thank you to anyone who bothered to ask for clarification and didn’t just mock me.

You really seem vested in reading into what people mean when they use the woo button... a lot of people use it as "I don't agree with your point of view" but that's hardly the same as "laughing in someone's face". I'm really not sure how you can pull that interpretation out of a one click virtual reaction from strangers on a message board...

OP I'm a little taller than your cutoff at 5'2 but when I was losing I typically ate between 1600-1900 cals and now I'm maintaining at 118 with a TDEE of 2200.
  • Meghanebk
    Meghanebk Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I'm 5 feet exactly, currently 164 lbs. Calories are at 1440 for 0.5 lb/week loss though it is actually dropping a bit faster than that.
    I don't do lower calories than that - I'd be much more likely to snap and binge if I tried to stick at 1200 for instance. I'm comfortable at 14-1500.

I rarely eat back more than 1/3 of my exercise calories - my main exercise is low intensity walking. I know a lot of calculators overestimate calorie burn, so since I'm not burning much I don't need to eat to fuel extra exercise.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @Sunnybrooke99 when you write “Interesting. That’s not too far off from what I figured. Between 1000-1200 not counting exercise.” how are you counting exercise? Because the stats given to you above give your BMR at 1063, but BMR isn’t the amount of calories you need when lazing around all day. BMR is the calories you need if you are in a COMA.

Your daily calorie needs are likely to be closer to the 1200, and that’s even BEFORE you add in any specific exercise or activity such as dancing. The doctor who told you your maintenance was around 1,000 calories was just plain wrong.