Chives

Options
dsboohead
dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
Is chives the tops of green onions? I do like them but are they something different?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    dsboohead wrote: »
    Is chives the tops of green onions? I do like them but are they something different?

They are not the same thing. Chives are an herb...scallions are an onion...so the green parts are just part of the onion...they aren't an herb. They are often used in similar ways, but they both have a distinct taste on their own. Chives are much thinner and delicate than the tops of scallions.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options

They are something different. They are a bushy little allium type plant. The chive part is like the leaves. The green part of a green onion is often substituted bc they are less expensive and also have a light onion flavor.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Okay....its an herb! Do they come dried too where the spices are? They would keep better this way....yes???
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    Okay....its an herb! Do they come dried too where the spices are? They would keep better this way....yes???

Chives can be found dried, feeeze dried, or fresh. They are hardly little perennial plants in a garden, and they are very cute with little purple puff ball looking flowers. Unless you live somewhere very cold, you can harvest a little year round.
  • dsboohead
    Options

Chives can be found dried, feeeze dried, or fresh. They are hardly little perennial plants in a garden, and they are very cute with little purple puff ball looking flowers. Unless you live somewhere very cold, you can harvest a little year round.

Good....like chives but wasnt sure what it was. Want to try it in cottage cheese!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Considering they are such hardy growers I suggest you get a pot for your windowsill. They will get stringy indoors but you can set them outside in the summer.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Considering they are such hardy growers I suggest you get a pot for your windowsill. They will get stringy indoors but you can set them outside in the summer.

Will do....fresh is so much better!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    Order a plant, if you can. They take a long time from seed to get big enough to harvest much.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Order a plant, if you can. They take a long time from seed to get big enough to harvest much.

Home depot maybe?
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options

Home depot maybe?

Maybe. I’d try online this time of the year. They are all over the place in the spring tho.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I’m a patient woman. And frugal. My bed of chives got buried by the landscapers this past summer so I will be starting over with seeds.

Once they are established chives last forever.

Unless they get buried by your landscaper.
  • dsboohead
    Options
    Bought a pak of fresh chives in the produce section of walmart. Pulled out a stem and ate it. I still have the lingering taste of chives in my mouth. Yeah!!! It was only $1.58.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    I went shopping yesterday too. In eighty days I will have fresh chives forever.
  • dsboohead
    Options

Yum....its got to be related to the green onion but better!
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Green onions have a stronger flavor than chives.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options

No need to order a plant. Just plant the ones that you buy from the supermarket (you can even plant them after you've used the tops). We started our chives & green onions this way three years ago and now we have a raised box full every year. They keep coming back!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options

Yum....its got to be related to the green onion but better!

Yes, they're related. They're both alliums.
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

No need to order a plant. Just plant the ones that you buy from the supermarket (you can even plant them after you've used the tops). We started our chives & green onions this way three years ago and now we have a raised box full every year. They keep coming back!

Great idea, if you can get the planted ones!
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    DX2JX2 wrote: »

Great idea, if you can get the planted ones!

True...you do need to get the ones with the roots still attached. Not usually a problem with green onions since that's how they're normally sold but chives can be a little tough to find in the normal market that way. We got lucky, though there are a ton of nurseries and farmers markets in our area where we could have picked up a couple of planted chives and simply transferred them to our garden.
  • FattieBabs
    FattieBabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    I love chives and plant out the supermarket ones and they grow fine in large pots. I love them snipped into omelettes and scrambled ehhs