Bread?

Options
I know this is a silly question, but here it is.
If my daily calories are 1320 and I include in the course of my day - 1/2 store bought bran muffin (220 cal) and with my dinner 2 oz Whole Foods organic ciabatta 110 cals - and these don't allow me to go above 1320, then can you see any reason not to eat them?

Replies

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of eating within your calories whatever keeps you satisfied, happy, and reasonably nutritionally sound. That said, I'm in the 1300 range now (before adding activity) and I personally wouldn't be able to spend 330 calories on bread daily and stay full. I've found cutting extra breads is actually the easiest way for me to trim back calories or replace them with more satisfying, nutrient-dense foods.

But I do love me some bread! :yum: So if you can eat it and be happy, go for it!
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    ITA that if you can eat it and stay within your calorie allowance- then I say go for it! Enjoy!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I personally choose high-fiber bread options when I have bread - no reason to avoid bread if it fits in your calories.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    NONE
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    HELL YEAH EAT IT YOU MADE IT FIT WAY TO GO!!
  • Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Unless you are saving your extra calories for wine (like I do) then it doesn’t matter, as long as you are happy with whatever macros and nutrients you are tracking.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I know this is a silly question, but here it is.
    If my daily calories are 1320 and I include in the course of my day - 1/2 store bought bran muffin (220 cal) and with my dinner 2 oz Whole Foods organic ciabatta 110 cals - and these don't allow me to go above 1320, then can you see any reason not to eat them?

I've heard it said that bread is bad for you, and bread makes you gain weight. I like bread, so choose not to believe it. I do not have a weight problem, so maybe bread is no problem.

But seriously, MFP is all about Calories In, Calories Out, and Calorie Deficit. If you eat bread and still remain within your Calorie Deficit, there's absolutely no problem.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If it wasnt for bread, id kill someone. I eat it daily and often multiple times per day. It helps with fiber too since i aim for higher fiber breads. I had a 50 lb loss and kept it off for 5 years.
  • reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    WineGelato! Yes yes. An exercise friend said to achieve her weight loss she had to give up bread! Only eats it now when she's out at a restaurant and it's really good. Made me very sad, ha ha
    I normally eat Daves Killer but got to say Whole Foods Organic Ciabatta is so yummy that I would prefer that with dinner over anything else. That said I can live with 1 ounce as opposed to 2 in order to help with calories
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WineGelato! Yes yes. An exercise friend said to achieve her weight loss she had to give up bread! Only eats it now when she's out at a restaurant and it's really good. Made me very sad, ha ha
    I normally eat Daves Killer but got to say Whole Foods Organic Ciabatta is so yummy that I would prefer that with dinner over anything else. That said I can live with 1 ounce as opposed to 2 in order to help with calories

That's a common trend right now, believing you have to cut something out in order to lose weight. There's only one thing you need to cut and that's calories. You can achieve that calorie deficit with an endless combination of foods, and if you enjoy bread and can fit it in your day, then there's no reason to cut it out for weight loss.

Also you mentioned eating 1320 and also an "exercise friend", are you eating back some of those exercise calories, 1320 is a fairly low target to begin with and presuming it came from MFP, doesn't include calories from exercise.

Enjoy your bread!
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Womona wrote: »
    If the weight is coming off even with eating bread (and other grains) within your calorie limits, keep at it! If weight is not budging, then try doing without. My doctor told me that in order to lose weight, lose the grains. I hate that this is true- for me at least. When I stop eating bread, the weight drops off. When I eat it again, my pants don’t fit! See what works for you!

This is completely wrong.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ive lost 100 pounds and eat plenty of bread.

tell your friend to go on. lol
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    There are a couple reasons why I eat a loss less bread than I used to. First, I love bread with butter on it and find limiting it hard. Next, bread doesn't slake my hunger over the long term whereas proteins and fats do. Finally, bread is calorie-dense and I can eat more of something else if I don't eat so much bread.

That being said, I haven't in any way given up bread. I still eat it -- just less of it and less often. Instead of eating bread and butter as a snack, I'll grab an ounce of good cheese, yogurt, nuts or fruit. I find a cup of homemade chicken stock is an excellent hunger-pang-slayer -- but that's for me.

If you see no reason for you not to eat the bread then have at it!
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I eat some kind of bread everyday and I've lost 37 pounds so far. What does help me, however, is to try to make the bread I do eat, whole grain and high fiber, simply because it seems to keep me fuller, longer than plain white bread.
  • reginaswork
    reginaswork Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone keeping bread in my life