Was I behind the door for this.........

Options
2»

Replies

• killagb
    killagb Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Please tell me what bump means? :)

People just mostly do that so it shows up on their 'My Topics' forum list, so they can revisit the topic later. Another usage of it would be to 'bump' up the forum post by giving it a more recent last updated date from their 'bump' post.
  • Charice
    Charice Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Please tell me what bump means? :)

"Bump" means that you want to be able to find the thread later so by posting "bump" it puts it in your "My Topics" list where you can access easily later. Thanks for the question, now I don't have to "bump" it!
  • kellyth78
    Options
    bump
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    You are better off ramping up the intensity rather than staying in that "fat burn zone". It's very misleading. You will burn more calories overall in a higher "zone" than the "fat burn zone". While a lower percentage of those will be from fat, it will still be a higher overall number.

"2) The fat-burning zone. Yes, it exists, but it has been misinterpreted. The fat-burning zone is a concept that the body burns a greater amount of fat at lower-intensity aerobic exercise than it does at higher intensities. Actually, the body burns a greater percentage of fat at lower intensities than at higher intensities. At lower intensities the body may burn 50 percent of the calories from fat, while at higher intensities it may only burn 35 percent. But at higher intensities you burn way more total calories—and more fat calories overall—than you do at lower intensities."

from http://www.active.com/triathlon/Articles/The-Myth-of-the-Fat-burning-Zone.htm
    Nice answer Taso! You too Dani! :flowerforyou:
  • socalg
    socalg Posts: 8
    Options
    This will always be an area of great debate.

Read this article "The Truth About the Fat Burning Zone" from about.com and the other related articles. I think that high intensity combined with the right calroie intake will suit you fine.

I did P90X and reduced calories and lost 38 pounds in about 75 days. Started at the beginning of January. Have kept the weight off since, plus a few more lost. Gonna start another round of P90X soon.

http://exercise.about.com/od/weightloss/a/The-Truth-About-The-Fat-Burning-Zone.htm
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys for comiing behind the door and bringing me out!!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm never in the "fat burning zone" of my hrm and I defintely was burning fat. I've read that it doesn't really matter and it's a little silly that hrm's have this and that it's really just an estimate anyway.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    CARDIO CARDIO AND CARDIO alone will not burn fat! You have to do strength training. Circuits ect. Cardio is Great for your heart! Combine it with some form of strength training and you will see fantastic results
    PS Clean CLEAN HEALTHY FOODS IS THE BIGGEST KEY!

What foods are considered Clean and Healthy. Would like to understand this better?

I always wash my chocolate bars.
  • jodazary
    jodazary Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    what the heck does "BUMP" mean ? i see it on all kinds of post and thats all it says what does it mean??
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    The exercise you're doing sounds great - make sure you're eating ENOUGH and CLEAN. That's how you'll burn off that outer fat layer.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I feel like I was behind the door when this information was passed out and it's still a little confusing to me. I am going to lay it out and can someone tell me if I am right or how this works. I have been busting my hump for the last few months with exercise, jogging, strength training, circuit training, you name it. Now I think I am finding out that I wasn't really doing fat burning workouts, like I had my HR too high and not in the body fat burning zone. I know I would still lose fat, but is it possible that the workouts I have been doing have been great for me underneath but not really burning off that top layer of fat covering what will be an awesome bod? I am gonna be ticked if I have been overexercising and missed the opportunity to really get in some fat burning exercises because I thought it didn't matter as long as you moved your butt as hard as possible.

The fuel you burn during an exercise session is irrelevant when it comes to long term weight (fat) loss. First of all the difference in actual fat metabolized between a "fat burning" workout and a higher intensity workout is too trivial to even think about. Second, it doesn't make any difference what your body burns during exercise--it compensates the rest of the day anyway.

In the long run, most people will get the best results from a balanced program that includes effective strength training, endurance cardio, tempo cardio (which I am seeing referred to as "high (er?) intensity steady state), and high-intensity interval cardio. It has always been that way and none of the extraneous noise that periodically erupts in the fitness universe changes that fact.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I'm never in the "fat burning zone" of my hrm and I defintely was burning fat.

Ditto.