Not losing weight

Options
Hi All

I am 162cm and 26 years old.
Weighing in at 66kgs I went to a dietician for help in weight loss and my IBS, after a week I dropped down to 63.9.

The dietician says I should have cereal for breakfast , two portions of fruit as snacks and for lunch and dinner I must have protein , carbs and veg.

The dietician told me not to count calories but I have been , so I can control my portions.

It's been 4 weeks since then and I'm not losing weight.

The scale fluctuates between 63.1 kg to 64.4

I am exercising daily ranging from 300-500 calories(using my polar watch) ,variations of cardio and resistance training, my calories range from 1200-1600 , most days its 1500 calories.

In the 4 weeks I have had 3 cheat/binge meals

I do weight my foods using a kitchen scale and track everything to the T that goes into my mouth.

Recently I've switched my cereal for a banana and berries with soya milk smoothie in the morning to reduce my carb intake.

I'm feeling super frustrated on my health journey, I want to drop to 58kgs which was my original weight before my weight gain.

Any advice please .

Replies

• Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I had to measure and log my calories. I’ve been doing that religiously for 2.5 years and have maintained a loss of between 55 and 60 pounds for almost two years.

It’s the only method that works for me. But I’m not a dietician. Just a former fat person.

You might be just at a plateau, your body adjusting. Be patient though. I’ve found you can’t just watch your intake and output until you get to your ‘ideal’ weight. It’s never ending. And there seems to be no ideal weight that’s a magic number you can remain at constantly. More like a range....

I wish you success!
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    If exercising is new to you or you have increased it recently, give it some time, our bodies retain some water to help repair muscles so it could be that also when it comes to logging with MFP there are a lot of inaccurate food logs so double check with your packets etc just incase, if anything you may be eating too little for what you are burning but its how you feel, if you feel satisfied by bedtime then leave it as it is but if your going bed with a rumbling tummy then have a little something else, I'm in no way an expert but I have had my own ups and downs with my weight loss journey, sometimes you have to be patient, give it more time and if still no change then toggle your calories in and out a little, also I cannot believe your dietician said to not count your calories, calories are the king of weightloss. Also it is good to have a few cheat meals/cheat days now and then (nothing too calorific enough to wipe out your progress of course) as it helps to keep us sane and helps reduce binges, I wish you the best of luck with your weightloss journey
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    ztxg5awzfp28.jpg
  • willow00
    willow00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    This sounds exactly like me! I’m very slow to lose & kept going even though the scale didn’t budge. Just when I was totally fristrTed the scale finally moved (after maybe 5-6 weeks). When I averaged it out after 3 months, I’ve lost 0.5 lbs per week. Be patient & keep up the good work!
  • willow00
    willow00 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just converted your stats to lb & feet and we’re almost the same (I’m 5’4 & started at 161 lb), which means you don’t have a lot of weight to lose and I think is more comparable to people in a plateau.
  • bronchan
    bronchan Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone and their quick responses. It's so great having people give their thoughts and advise.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    If you're not losing weight and not gaining weight, it's a pretty good sign that you're eating at maintenance calories. Drop the cheat/binge meals, they are likely negating your deficit. Instead, use a smaller deficit and eat more of the things you like to avoid the binging and cheat meals. If you really feel like you need a larger meal, log every last bit of it and prepare for it by exercising more in advance or after. It's all about calorie balance. You really can't cheat or binge and expect to maintain a deficit in my opinion.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Well, for me here in North Carolina. I suspect that you are on the other side of the pond and it is Good afternoon for you!

So, I took the liberty to run your numbers through an on-line TDEE Calculator and translated the metrics to "merikan" numbers. So, for a 26yo female who is 5'4" and weighs 145lbs here is what I get:

Basal Metabolic Rate 1,367 calories per day
    Sedentary 1,640 calories per day
    Light Exercise 1,879 calories per day
    Moderate Exercise 2,119 calories per day
    Heavy Exercise 2,358 calories per day
    Athlete 2,597 calories per day

Now, you are somewhere between 5'3" and 5'4" so I went with 5'4".

The numbers above are maintenance and are different from how MFP does things. These numbers include everything (MBR + NEAT + PAL + TEF) so you do not need to add your exercise calories back in for this. Also, these numbers are based on a generic formula so you would need to play with this to find the maintenance numbers for you. You are a unique individual and no generic formula is going to get things absolutely accurate. As an aside, when I run my numbers through this very same TDEE Calculator the results are really close to my actual numbers (I played with nutrition while I was not able to train so I know from doing....).

So, if we take your "most days it is 1,500 calories" statement then you should - according to the numbers above - be loosing weight. I am basing that on the guess that you are PAL of "Moderate Exercise". That just shows you that these numbers from the on-line TDEE Calculators are a starting point.

I would suggest the following:

1. Re-evaluate your logging of food! Just a general comment.
    2. Re-evaluate your weighing of food! Consider portion size.
    3. Are you weighing yourself every day? On the same scale? At the same time of day?
    4. Consider finding "better" alternatives to the foods that you are indeed eating at the moment.

When I first started doing this, it was tedious. And, I am one who loves tedious and monotonous tasks. And, I was not as good at weighing food or logging food as I thought that I was. So, after two or three weeks I would just step back and evaluate how I was doing. There was room for improvement. Both in logging and in weighing. Portion control was one of my issues. A few times I would look at the label on the packaging and go "Oh, that it tsps and not Tbsp. Ah ha!". Silly things like that add up. So, general comment - take a step back and re-evaluate your logging and weighing | portioning (I like that word....I made it up yesterday....going to stick with it!).

I also matured at my nutritional choices. I started finding - for me, anyway - better choices. Things that were more macro friendly. Things that worked better for me.

Now, I enjoy flexible dieting (even though I am a TOTAL creature of habit) and I do Intermittent Fasting (following the 16/8 model now - just switched over to that from a more liberal 12/12 model.....I took steps to getting to 16/8).

Now, your IBS may or may not play a role in this for you.

Also, since you are female, your TOM (time of the month) is going to mess things up for that week (or for however long that affects you). Keep that in mind. I am sure that you have taken that into consideration, but sometimes we get so bogged down with the details that we don't see the obvious.

For how long have you been working with this dietitian?