Tipping

Options

Replies

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    davidylin wrote: »
    I tip delivery drivers 10% if I'm happy with the delivery service. I make exceptions when I know the drive was difficult and I paid a little more when gas was $4 a gallon. If the driver looks super enthusiastic about doing a good job, they get a little extra.

That usually keeps the good service coming to my house. I think it really depends on what everyone else in your delivery area is tipping. If you're the worst tipper you may be the last delivery on their out.

Wow, 10% in my area they would be peeing on you pizza next time
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    I tip delivery drivers 10% if I'm happy with the delivery service. I make exceptions when I know the drive was difficult and I paid a little more when gas was $4 a gallon. If the driver looks super enthusiastic about doing a good job, they get a little extra.

That usually keeps the good service coming to my house. I think it really depends on what everyone else in your delivery area is tipping. If you're the worst tipper you may be the last delivery on their out.

In my area tipping at all has them prostrating themselves in gratitude. I don't think most people in this neighborhood know tipping drivers is a thing.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    10% for each slice you plan to eat yourself.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    It depends partly on the employer. The drivers at the place we order from get paid tip wage, which means they are not making minimum wage and depend on their tips for income. They used to get gas money but don't anymore. So we tip them substantially - at least 20%. As a result we get very, very good service.

If the drivers get minimum wage or more, you can get away with tipping less. I would consider a minimum 1 dollar per item.

How are you supposed to know what the drivers get paid? What a strange system.

It seems like companies are just advertising their products at 20% or whatever below the actual price by this practice.

Yes.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    azironasun wrote: »
    Former pizza place manager here. At most pizza places, especially the chains, the delivery fee goes to the house, not the driver. Most drivers, like waitstaff, are paid less than minimum wage and are expected to make up the difference in tips, plus paying for their own gas. A suggested tip is 15% - 20% or at least a couple bucks on small orders. Regular tips of 25% and up will have the drivers fighting over who gets to deliver your order. They'll all want it. Look at it this way: A waitress will take your order, bring your food to you from the kitchen, and refill your beverage and you'll tip 15% - 20%. A delivery driver will haul your food for miles in good weather and bad, and get it to you as soon as they can. Don't you think they've earned the same 15% - 20%?

I tip 20% and that won't change regardless of this answer - can't delivery drivers who don't get anything from their employer write off the full IRS reimbursable mileage rate?

I did taxes for a friend who used a personal vehicle for work and was reimbursed something like 25 cents per mile from his company. The actual allowed rate for 2017 is 53.5 cents per mile for business miles driven and he is allowed to write off the difference on his taxes, which makes a big difference in his tax burden, given the amount of miles he drives per week.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an accountant; I just know how to use Turbo Tax for fairly simple returns :lol: )
  • AdamAthletic
    AdamAthletic Posts: 2,985 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I've never understood the US tipping system!

My fiance has tried to explain it to me multiple times(she's from/lives in America) but it seems that the minimum wage there isn't much less than here, if at all and it seems like a forced gratuity.

There are many things and concepts in the US that I like but I can't say that I think that's one of them, as I currently understand it!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    It depends partly on the employer. The drivers at the place we order from get paid tip wage, which means they are not making minimum wage and depend on their tips for income. They used to get gas money but don't anymore. So we tip them substantially - at least 20%. As a result we get very, very good service.

If the drivers get minimum wage or more, you can get away with tipping less. I would consider a minimum 1 dollar per item.

How are you supposed to know what the drivers get paid? What a strange system.

It seems like companies are just advertising their products at 20% or whatever below the actual price by this practice.
    It is a strange system, and the companies definitely benefit at the employee's expense.

I've worked for tip wage before, so I usually ask, when it's someone in a position I'm not familiar with. But the answer is not always honest. Sometimes people who should really get full wage don't, and sometimes it's the opposite and people getting paid a perfectly fine wage are trying to get extra by pretending to work for tips. Ice cream parlor with tip jar on the counter? It turns out the kids who work there get paid full wage, in fact they hide the tip jar quickly when the owner comes in because the owner doesn't allow tipping. Sorry, not gonna tip them! Shopper at Kroger's pick up service claimed tips were "optional" when the order sheet clearly stated tips were not allowed.

I also ask whether salespeople work on commission, so if I spend half an hour having them show me options and I go away to think about it, then come back later, I have their card and can make sure the person who helped me is the one who gets the commission.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    azironasun wrote: »
    Former pizza place manager here. At most pizza places, especially the chains, the delivery fee goes to the house, not the driver. Most drivers, like waitstaff, are paid less than minimum wage and are expected to make up the difference in tips, plus paying for their own gas. A suggested tip is 15% - 20% or at least a couple bucks on small orders. Regular tips of 25% and up will have the drivers fighting over who gets to deliver your order. They'll all want it. Look at it this way: A waitress will take your order, bring your food to you from the kitchen, and refill your beverage and you'll tip 15% - 20%. A delivery driver will haul your food for miles in good weather and bad, and get it to you as soon as they can. Don't you think they've earned the same 15% - 20%?

I tip 20% and that won't change regardless of this answer - can't delivery drivers who don't get anything from their employer write off the full IRS reimbursable mileage rate?

I did taxes for a friend who used a personal vehicle for work and was reimbursed something like 25 cents per mile from his company. The actual allowed rate for 2017 is 53.5 cents per mile for business miles driven and he is allowed to write off the difference on his taxes, which makes a big difference in his tax burden, given the amount of miles he drives per week.

(Disclaimer: I'm not an accountant; I just know how to use Turbo Tax for fairly simple returns :lol: )

They can write it off, but generally delivery drivers don't have much tax liability in the first place so the write off may not do much good.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options

My fiance has tried to explain it to me multiple times(she's from/lives in America) but it seems that the minimum wage there isn't much less than here, if at all and it seems like a forced gratuity.

That's basically it. Tipping is an old tradition in a few industries that lets employers underpay their staff, and it makes prices seem lower than they really are. It's stressful for employees, who don't have a predictable paycheck, since it's based on the whims of customers (some of whom don't tip). Americans can't give up the tipping system for the same reason we can't switch to the metric system - we're creatures of habit. Some restaurants in the US do have a "no tip" policy, so there's hope. More on that movement here: https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/02/more-restaurants-opting-for-no-tip-policies-survey.html
  • brittneyalley
    brittneyalley Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

That's basically it. Tipping is an old tradition in a few industries that lets employers underpay their staff, and it makes prices seem lower than they really are. It's stressful for employees, who don't have a predictable paycheck, since it's based on the whims of customers (some of whom don't tip). Americans can't give up the tipping system for the same reason we can't switch to the metric system - we're creatures of habit. Some restaurants in the US do have a "no tip" policy, so there's hope. More on that movement here: https://www.cnbc.com/2016/06/02/more-restaurants-opting-for-no-tip-policies-survey.html

Minimum wage is around $2.10 for people making tips. $7.25 otherwise.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,291 Member
    Options
    $3 to $5 bucks..
  • Annette_Sabol
    Annette_Sabol Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Servers in a restaurant I always tip 20% but picking up to go food or delivery service I typically keep it around 10% of the bill before tax. They are providing a service even though they aren’t waiting on you at a table for 30+ min they are still taking the order, bagging or boxing it up, and in a delivery obviously they are then driving it to you. In most states to-go servers are the same as regular servers as well as bar tenders making “commission minimum wage” which is half of regular minimum wage. Delivery drivers make minimum wage plus “gas” most times but it doesn’t always fully cover gas and wear and tear on their car so I say always at least 10% for making life more convenient for us
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »

Minimum wage is around $2.10 for people making tips. $7.25 otherwise.

see here in Canada (Ontario) it is $11/hr now and going up to $15/hour in a year - will be very interesting to see if people keep tipping at these rates - especially given how much of an increase meals out will already be in order to cover the higher wages.
  • misnomer1
    misnomer1 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    What should one tip a pizza delivery person?

Depends on the country/city you live in and the norms there.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    I tip 3-5 dollars, depending upon the service and the weather. If it's truly nasty outside (heavy rain, snow, or really cold), I will tip more. For reference, I'm usually ordering one pizza and a 2L of soda, which runs around 15-17 dollars including delivery fee.

You tip $5.00 for a $17.00 delivery?? That sounds really high to me.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Who cares what a person's wage is? Tipping is a thank you for a service provided,I hate when people are so cheap!
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

You should see how much pizza costs in my area.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    TonyB0588 wrote: »
    I tip 3-5 dollars, depending upon the service and the weather. If it's truly nasty outside (heavy rain, snow, or really cold), I will tip more. For reference, I'm usually ordering one pizza and a 2L of soda, which runs around 15-17 dollars including delivery fee.

You tip $5.00 for a $17.00 delivery?? That sounds really high to me.

Honestly, I'm more inclined to tip 5 on a 15 dollar order.

The other day I tipped 1.50 on a 23 dollar order, because the delivery guy couldn't break my second 20. I'd wanted to give him 5, but he didn't have enough change.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    20% minimum in a restaurant and maybe deduct a bit for the cost of a bottle of wine. Delivery drivers $4 - $6 bucks. And people please remember that your server rarely has anything to do with your food not coming out right or on time so don't be too harsh on the server.
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    What should one tip a pizza delivery person?

I don't get delivery very often, but I never thought of tipping the delivery people. Maybe its just a difference from one country to another.

My deliveries have been typically the same items I would buy in a fast-food restaurant, and I don't imagine tipping happens for take-away food as it would in a sit down restaurant with service.