Huge discrepency between calories per step depeding on the input device

Options
I expect to some difference in step count between my iPhone and my Fitbit tracker for many reasons (like "not always having my phone on me), but I was surprised to see such a huge difference in calories burned.

If I choose the iPhone as the input device for the steps, I see 233 calories burned after 9,293steps (+/- 0.025 calories per step). If I choose my Fitbit tracker as the input device, it says 918 calories burned for10,461 steps (+/-0.08 calories per step). Almost 700 calories difference, that's like an whole meal

why is there such a big difference between the two? From my google search, it says that the average person should burn around 0.05 calories per step (500 calories for 10,000 steps), since I'm overweight I expect to burn a bit more than the average person pulling that excess weight, but not that much.

Does anybody else have that issue?

Replies

• thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of issues with Fitbit. I have a thread on here entitled * Fitbit, the evidence it may be burning a higher calorie*
    But yes, in general it would appear Fitbit isn’t as good as the reputation precedes. People say things like you cannot expect it to be spot on or it is an estimate. I think people understand that but these are obviously huge differences...... like you said a good 700 + calorie burn!
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You can estimate net calories burned per mile walked with the equation 0.3 * bodyweight in lbs. Then compare to your devices and see which one is getting a better estimate. I use an apple watch and find it pretty accurate, but experiences vary widely.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,232 Member
    Options
    In the last few days, there’s been one thread saying the Fitbit is way off, and another talking about the Apple Watch (ihealth) being way off. My Fitbits are fine for me. Others maybe not so much. The only way to know is to log your food accurately, track your weight over a period of time (like 4-6 weeks) and see where it lines up vs what your expected change would be based on your trackers. Maybe one is right, maybe neither is right, maybe you can make some adjustments in some settings to make it work for you (I did that when I had a bodymedia armband that’s consistently read high).
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Neither company will likely disclose their math, but they have set their calculations based on their own interpretation of height, weight and activity level. Instead of trying to make them both marry, just pick the one with the interface and community you like best and go with it. For what it's worth, Apple doesn't make a priority of gathering steps as an activity or fitness benchmark, so trying to compare its mandate to Fitbit's has no point.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    If your Fitbit has a wrist read HRM it will also take effort into account for those steps. So proper get the heart going walking vs strolling round the supermarket walking.