sour cream and onion dry mix

Options
hi,

i'm thinking of trying out some healthy sour cream and onion snacks like, shaking it on popcorn, cashews etc, only problem is all the recipes i've seen call for powdered buttermilk, and it is impossible to get it where i am.

does anyone know if i can substitute it with powdered milk, coffee whitner or maby omit it all together, or will it make a difference to the flavour if i did omit it ?

all advice is welcome,

thanks.

Replies

• Sunnybrooke99
    Sunnybrooke99 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Can’t you order it online? It’s a little tangy, if that helps. So maybe some finely ground dried lemon peel would substitute. It doesn’t really taste much like dried milk.
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Could you use some powdered ranch dressing mix or other powdered salad dressing mixes? Also try the popcorn section of your grocery store. There are a few popcorn seasonings out now that are "ranch" flavored. My husband uses this on his popcorn and loves it. Maybe you could add some chives or other spices to it?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Could you use some powdered ranch dressing mix or other powdered salad dressing mixes? Also try the popcorn section of your grocery store. There are a few popcorn seasonings out now that are "ranch" flavored. My husband uses this on his popcorn and loves it. Maybe you could add some chives or other spices to it?

Kernel's Season's is available in larger grocery stores (in the U.S).

There are a lot of great ideas here: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/articles/50-flavored-popcorn-recipes
  • jeaninesteam1
    jeaninesteam1 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Did u check the baking aisle?
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Can you get the Lipton’s onion soup packets? Mix one of those into a tub of sour cream. I miss that stuff since I need to watch sodium now.
  • geri1geraldinesuzanne
    Options
    the problem is i live in spain and these things a very limited here, sooooo.