Run 1 mile a day with your dog!

Options
2»

Replies

• Run_for_my_life
    Run_for_my_life Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have 3 dogs, 2 of which run. Some days you have to let them sniff. Try starting off by walking and sniffing for half a mile. It's a warm up for both of you. Then move onto running. Make sure the dog knows commands such as leave it, slow, walk and ok let's go. I am 115 pounds and run with the combination of 93 pound, 71 pounds or 164 pounds. If you are a new runner or your dog is a new runner do not expect a full mile at running pace. Be able to speak comfortably with the dog without gasping for air. If you are gasping you are running too hard.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I am envious of folks with well-trained running dogs! I started jogging parts of my walks earlier this summer, but after a month or so realized that my dogs were holding me back, and I was risking injury to myself or them because they simply aren't well-trained enough to be running buddies. I still credit them with getting me to the point where walking alone wasn't cutting it for me, but my morning pattern now is to walk them around the block, then leave them at home and jog another 1-2 miles alone.
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    Cbean08 wrote: »
    My little corgi only makes it about a block or two before needing a break. Poor baby and her teeny legs.

Oh My gosh I have a corgi too! @Cbean08

Kiki and I tried to run. She wound up stopping hard, randomly causing me to fall, the other half of the walk she decided to try and herd me like cattle. We go on walks now instead of runs
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    @spiderpug- That is awesome!
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I'd love to participate!
    My Duke is a bit on the chubby side like his mama and needs this!
    Can't promise we'll run every day, but we'll pop in!

Here's my handsome boy! <3

t283h6zlaejc.jpg
  • iamthemotherofdogs
    iamthemotherofdogs Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    My dog would have me broken. All of me, broken. God love him.
  • IronDogJourney
    IronDogJourney Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Here are my 4 running buddies... and believe it or not the Irish Wolfhound is 150lbs:)
  • JennyRATL
    JennyRATL Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Been taking Duke out almost every day. Had a great walk/run with him yesterday, despite the crappy weather. He's getting accustomed to going every day. He's a biiiiig boy and needs it, too.

Hope y'all are enjoying getting out there with your pups!
  • mahaneca
    mahaneca Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I run with my lab mix about once a week. During the week, I usually run on the treadmill because I'm out of the house about 10 hours each day and don't like to run after dark. But once she sees my running clothes on the weekend, she gets super excited and can't wait to get out the door. She helped me train for a half marathon this summer, with her going up to 7 miles in a single run (was worried about taking her much farther than that).
  • sofchak
    sofchak Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    88cw8aziix95.jpeg

My beagle mix and I completed his first 5k on Sept 30th. He’s a champ! We averaged 9:30 min miles during that race. Proud of my boy!