Cheat Meal Yes or No?

I just had my first cheat meal in over six months and it was awesome. I'm not a big believer in cheat meals so I rarely have one but I'm close to my goal weight and needed a break from my meal plan. Just wanted to hear some different opinions on cheat meals.

Replies

• maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    I guess it depends on what you mean by a cheat meal. I would rather eat what I want, when I want. For the most part I stay within my calorie allowance and I haven't felt deprived. I've lost about 30 lbs in not quite 8 months and I feel like I can do this forever. What is your plan when you reach your goal weight?
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    Just fit your cheat meal into your daily calories.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »
    Just fit your cheat meal into your daily calories.

And call it a meal? (not sure how that would be considered "cheating") - taking weekly calories in to consideration may make this easier. I eat lower cal on rest days to compensate for a higher cal day (or two) on the weekend. Everything fits my goals...
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited November 2017
    Bechler77 wrote: »
    Just wanted to hear some different opinions on cheat meals.

From the official MFP-blog:

The 7 biggest Weight-Loss mistakes, according to dietitians (07/24/17)

Here esp. top. 2

• Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    Just wanted to hear some different opinions on cheat meals.

From the official MFP-blog:

The 7 biggest Weight-Loss mistakes, according to dietitians (07/24/17)

Here esp. top. 2

Haha! I actually read that a few weeks ago and agreed with the cheat meal theory
  • Bechler77
    Bechler77 Posts: 65 Member
    maryannprt wrote: »
    I guess it depends on what you mean by a cheat meal. I would rather eat what I want, when I want. For the most part I stay within my calorie allowance and I haven't felt deprived. I've lost about 30 lbs in not quite 8 months and I feel like I can do this forever. What is your plan when you reach your goal weight?

A cheat meal to me is a meal that includes foods that are normally not part of your daily meal plan such as a burger with fries and a milkshake or a half a pizza and a six-pack of beer. Something that you normally wouldn't eat on a daily or even weekly basis. Once I hit my goal weight I will enter my maintenance phase. I will probably increase my calorie intake to 2,000 per day and try that for a month to see if I'm maintaining weight or gaining weight.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    I normally eat a particular way and occasionally have meals that are different (or days that are different, like Christmas probably will be). I don't think of them as "cheat meals" and don't see the point of doing so.

For example, I rarely have a burger and fries at a restaurant (I make burgers at home, usually without a bun so I guess it's not really a burger, and have it with vegetables and roasted potatoes). MOST of the time a restaurant burger is not worth the calories, and fries are something I just choose to have rarely. However, occasionally I am at a place that does a worth-it-to-me burger and fries and just want that, so I have it. Don't see the point in calling that a cheat meal.

On Thanksgiving I won't worry about calories and will have much more pie than normal. Not a cheat, a special occasion.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Overall we have to hold ourselves accountable. At the same time, long-term deprivation doesn't work. Hopefully, how you used to eat and how you eat now are totally different and your total daily caloric intake is less. Keeping in mid that it takes 3500 calories in excess of what you burn to make up one pound, a cheat meal once in a while isn't going to derail your efforts. Just find ways to balance it out.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 721 Member
    I agree with J72FIT! Who am I cheating? I never understood why it's called a cheat meal, day, week or whatever. If I plan to cut that food or meal out forever then I am not living. I eat whatever I want just fit it into your daily calories.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    no.

i make room for what i want to eat. whether its getting in an extra or longer workout, rearranging food or choosing lower cal options at other meals or whatever
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    I dont agree in cheat meals, As have been said your only cheating yourself. To me if i call it a cheat meal/day im WAY more likely to just eat more thn i normally would have because theres the word cheat in there, And feel bad afterwards because again negative language. I have special occasions, Hell i have days where i eat everything without moderation. Its being human.

Cheat also for me mentally separates the food and the calories. Sort of like if no one can see me eat it, It didnt happen. But my body knows it happened. The calories count. I like to hold myself accountable.

Basically- Yes i overeat (sometimes alot more often thn id like hah) But no i dont use the term cheat anything. IT all still counts, And negative language has a big impact on me. Its simply being human. Just find a balance between being human and eating in stupid abundance because its your "cheat meal"
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I don't "cheat" in a BIG way. I "cheat" by eating to maintenance (which is sometimes an extra 1,000 calories, depending on your deficit).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    aeloine wrote: »
    I don't "cheat" in a BIG way. I "cheat" by eating to maintenance (which is sometimes an extra 1,000 calories, depending on your deficit).

Maintenance really does feel like cheating hah. Feels like a constant feast doing a diet break for 2 weeks. Super eye opening
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    To me cheating would be to eat some junk food like a previous poster said about eating a Big Mac or a chocolate sundae.

You can eat the Big Mac or sundae, just fit it into your daily calories and adjust whatever you else you eat that day.

For some people that might be all you could eat that day I suppose.

Now for this coming Thanksgiving I am just going to eat whatever I want and not count calories but that is not something I'd do every week or I'd put on weight.

• maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member

A cheat meal to me is a meal that includes foods that are normally not part of your daily meal plan such as a burger with fries and a milkshake or a half a pizza and a six-pack of beer. Something that you normally wouldn't eat on a daily or even weekly basis. Once I hit my goal weight I will enter my maintenance phase. I will probably increase my calorie intake to 2,000 per day and try that for a month to see if I'm maintaining weight or gaining weight.

If that's our definition, then I suppose I have an occasional "cheat" meal. Every now and then, I want a big sloppy hamburger and fries. I know it's going to put me over, but I just don't care. I guess I don't like the term "cheat meal" because it implies some sort of moral judgement to me. At 57, I've had enough of feeling bad about my food choices. I'm a long way yet from my goal weight, but I'm trying to eat in a way I can sustain for the rest of my life. It it takes me another 2 years to get there, I'm ok with that.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member

If that's our definition, then I suppose I have an occasional "cheat" meal. Every now and then, I want a big sloppy hamburger and fries. I know it's going to put me over, but I just don't care. I guess I don't like the term "cheat meal" because it implies some sort of moral judgement to me. At 57, I've had enough of feeling bad about my food choices. I'm a long way yet from my goal weight, but I'm trying to eat in a way I can sustain for the rest of my life. It it takes me another 2 years to get there, I'm ok with that.

I don't really like the idea of calling it "cheating" either. There's the moral implication and also the fact that cheating implies that it's possible to "get away with" something or taking something you didn't actually earn. If "cheating" on your diet (by eating way more than you log or eating alone so nobody knows how much you ate, for example) actually allowed us to "get away" with great results we didn't earn (like if you cheated on a test in school) I think everyone would do it. But unfortunately that just doesn't work.
    As far as indulging from time to time, yes I agree with that. Most people can't stick to "diets" that make them miserable.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    In the beginning I had "cheat" meals. Once every three weeks or so I would eat an extra 200 or 300 calories in my day. It helped me immensely. Now I am so close to goal weight that I can't afford that extra. I say to each his/her own. If it works for you go for it. If not leave it alone.
  • crystalsan726
    crystalsan726 Posts: 795 Member
    I allow myself one sweet of my choosing a week. It has really helped tame the sugar beast for me and I am getting to where I don't feel like I have to have that one sweet a week anymore. I say do whatever works for you. =)