OMAD (one meal a day)

Options
2»

Replies

• questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I would recommend starting small and then go from there...aim for 12 hours of fasting (so from 9pm-9am) and then maybe increase it by an hour every day/every few days. I started at 13/11, and am now following 16/8 and it works well for me, but that's because I also eat in a deficit in those 8 hours. Basically if I'm only eating from 11-7, I don't mindlessly snack in the AM, and I take the time to really plan my food. It's a tool, not a magic bullet.
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    madagirl81 wrote: »
    thecharon wrote: »
    I'm also tiny and losing weight eating 3 small meals a day with 2 planned snacks. Why are you making this so hard? It's all about your sticking to your daily calories.
    I jot everything down on paper the day before then log after I eat. I call it the "plannning" diet. You plan what you eat the day before. Easy.

Yes you are right but I feel like I have trouble controlling myself and for me it gets complicated eating multiple times a day. Eating once a day makes it so I don't have to think too hard lol plus the 23 hours I'm not eating, the hormone insulin decreases resulting in more fat loss over time. Thank you

I don't believe this is true. Can someone who knows more about this chime in?

-- She's right that the absence of insulin results in the breakdown and burning of fat. However, I don't think it's that simple because you need insulin to transport glucose into muscle cells.

However, I did read a study once... here's the link: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2121099/ - the basic finding was that with the group that ate 1 meal per day (as opposed to 3) had a delayed insulin response which led to prolonged elevations of glucose post-meal even though the fasting blood sugar level wasn't materially affected by meal frequency. The study was done on "normal" weight men and women, but I would personally be concerned about the healthfulness of this approach as a long-term strategy (I'm also not an MD).
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I have never tried this but I wonder if it would lead to binge-type behaviors?

For sure. Same with the trap i fell into of eating 6-8 200-300 calorie meals a day while also not eating until later in the day. I began to think of food constantly because id have to eat so often i was basically always thinking about my next meal. At the time i liked it but once my life shifted even slightly and food became less readily available it became a problem.

This would be the reverse for some people, Life shifts a bit you go for lunch with a friend chances are youll eat WAY to much because your so used to packing it away. Or if you have a binge chances are you could do alot more damage since your so used to eating such bulk, Swap the bulk out with highly caloric foods = trouble x10

Definatly need to find a middle ground if you have tendency towards all or nothing mindsets
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    Is this a way of eating you can imagine continuing for the rest of your life? If not, then you may lose weight in the short term, but how will you learn what you need to do to keep it off?
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,365 Member
    Options
    megs_1985 wrote: »
    Usually intermittenent fasting gives you more then one hour a day to eat. Stuffing 1200-1500 calories in one hour is not healthy. Your insulin will be low but that won't make you lose fat it will just make it so you have low blood sugar making you tired and foggy. Eating every 3-4 hours during the day will have your insulin levels be more even and avoid the huge insulin drop you'll get after one big meal. You say you have bad willpower to avoid food but you will have to learn how to reign that in if you ever want to create a new lifestyle that will keep weight off.

Nope to so many things in this post... I eat 2 meals a day during at most a 6 hour window (and have eaten this way the majority of my life) - I never have energy drops, brain fog, or any of that other stuff that people say will happen if you don't eat every 3-4 hours. I have tried the eat 5-6 times a day and it was a total disaster for me - I was always thinking about food and could never be full (breaking the calories into small amounts never satisfied me).
  • samgamgee
    samgamgee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've seen really good results with OMAD. I do tend to modify it and drink a few cups of tea or coffee with milk and sugar throughout the day though. Gone from 160 to 128 and the majority of that has been 18:6 or 23:1 (in conjunction with logging).

I find it useful as I like to eat the same as my partner at dinner and he's a 6 ft 200 lb dude so if 5'3 128 lb me ate that plus breakfast and lunch I'd put on loads of weight...

Some people can't cope with eating once a day but if you can, it tends to simplify things! In the long run, do whatever works as long as you can stick to your calorie goals.
  • CarvedTones
    CarvedTones Posts: 2,340 Member
    Options
    I did 5:2 with OMAD on the 2 days but it was a regular meal so that the day was at major deficit. I don't think I would want to get used to having over 1000 calories at one sitting as "standard".
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I did 5:2 with OMAD on the 2 days but it was a regular meal so that the day was at major deficit. I don't think I would want to get used to having over 1000 calories at one sitting as "standard".

My dinner is over 1000 calories virtually every night - usually well over that. Always has been.

I eat in a 16:8 pattern most of the time, but just because it fits my personal preferences and works for me as far as satiety/adherence - not because I think there's any magick or wizardry attached to when I eat. OMAD or 5:2 would be a disaster for me and I wouldn't even consider trying either of them. 500 calories two days a week just ain't happening, even if I do get to eat at maintenance calories on the other days. I don't like being hungry, especially when there's no good reason for doing so.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Here is the ultimate question, can you get in adequate nutrients to support your goals. The generally issue I have with OMAD, is that the average person will not be able to get adequate protein in that short period of time; adequate is 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight (~.7 to 1g per lb).