Question for the ladies only

Options
I've been on my period for a few days now. It's been good. But today this insane hunger hit me. I could eat a cow. I'm eating...and thinking about the next meal. I'm constantly thinking about cake...pasta...chips. I am literally in a bad mood all day because of this. Im so angry. Lol. And then i get sad to the point i want to cry because of the hunger because i hate it and it scares me. I can hear myself trying to convince myself to just go crazy and eat and I'll feel better. Yes i stay true to my calories. I've had the apple..the yogurts today...yes i find something to eat but the whole time i feel depressed because it's not a cheesecake lol. Lol like does this horror end? How do you all deal with this?

Replies

• saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I wish I could fight it like you. Tears & all. For about 3 days I eat 3000-to 5000 calories (total per day). Every month. I hate it.
  • Dukare
    Dukare Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I've found that the portion size really makes a difference.

When I want to kill people during my monthly cycle, I typically have a craving of some sort. ... besides upping the water and such, I let myself have whatever it is, sometimes it is a slippery slope, but if you balance it right and whatnot, your body that is in chaos levels out from it

For instance, if you crave Cheesecake, get one of those one slicer types. Have it exactly when your tongue is aching for it. And eat it slowly... then you aren't just eating to eat. You are eating to satiate your whatever.

... this only works if you keep a good balance of nutrition, so you aren't filling a hungry stomach or whatnot. And liquids, I agtee with everyone else, and about the caffeine. Even a sip of hot chocolate satiated me before. But it's been a long process to get it to this point.

All else fail, workout more, and definitely control the portions.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough, balanced and varied on the daily? Do you eat food you like on the daily? Do you have any non-food self-soothing strategies? Are you in pain; if so, do you take painkillers; if so, do they work?
  • jodythomas2017
    jodythomas2017 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Drinking your water will also help keep hunger at bay. Drinking room temp or warm water will help make you feel full also. When you think about taking a bit of that yummy cheese cake walk to your water bottle and drink till you have to breath. Having a pitcher of water where you will see it almost contstantly will remind you to drink. If you are not able to just drink water add a drop or two of lemon juice or if you are into oils drop oil in your water. If using oils make sure your container is metal or glass. When I fasted the only way for me to go without snitching during the day was to go drink a tall glass of water each time the thought of food crossed my mind. Be careful about how much water you intake though. I was drinking over a gallon of water a day then traveled for six hours without water. Not a good idea. I had the worst migraine ever so I cut my water intake to just under one gallon and that works for me. For myself I have found that I can not cut sweets out cold turkey or I disappoint myself and end up splurging on sweets. You need to allow yourself a little treat to keep you on the straight and narrow. You are lucky to have such strong self discipline. Good luck to you on staying away from the cheese cake.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    doesn't sound like hunger to me...sounds like appetite...
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    doesn't sound like hunger to me...sounds like appetite...

I may have called it hunger in a hurry. It was most likely not hunger considering i ate enough. It was cravings, TOM, and old habits trying to sneak in.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    How do I deal with it? Easy! I don’t have a period because of my BC (Nuvaring). Highly recommend.

I have PCOS and havent had my period asside from this one that just came and lasted for almost two weeks in a year and a half. So having my period back is a big relief knowing things are getting handled within my body properly at last.
  • prettygirlstorm1
    prettygirlstorm1 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    for me it is PMS! I want to eat everything under the sun and never feel full!! It is awful!!! I find myself giving in to it more often than I should. Lately I have been trying to keep myself occupied and not have super fattening foods in the house. I figure if I want it that badly I have to go to the store and I hate to drive!!!
  • jsminer827
    jsminer827 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    How do I deal with it? Easy! I don’t have a period because of my BC (Nuvaring). Highly recommend.

I have PCOS and havent had my period asside from this one that just came and lasted for almost two weeks in a year and a half. So having my period back is a big relief knowing things are getting handled within my body properly at last.

-- If you've been diagnosed with PCOS, you should see your gynecologist if you are getting your period less than every three months. I also went over a year without my period and it turns out that I had pre-cancerous cells in that overgrowth in my uterine lining... yikes!! I don't say that to scare you, but before I started on this journey to regain my health, I put my head deep in the sand. Like Heather4448, I too now have an IUD (Mirena) and my periods have become regular, very light, and totally manageable.

My only other tip, is to load up on fiber. A Thomas' Multigrain Light English Muffin (100 calories, crazy fiber) with either Nutella or good old PB crushes my cravings.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    jsminer827 wrote: »

-- If you've been diagnosed with PCOS, you should see your gynecologist if you are getting your period less than every three months. I also went over a year without my period and it turns out that I had pre-cancerous cells in that overgrowth in my uterine lining... yikes!! I don't say that to scare you, but before I started on this journey to regain my health, I put my head deep in the sand. Like Heather4448, I too now have an IUD (Mirena) and my periods have become regular, very light, and totally manageable.

My only other tip, is to load up on fiber. A Thomas' Multigrain Light English Muffin (100 calories, crazy fiber) with either Nutella or good old PB crushes my cravings.

I also have PCOS its pretty normal to not have my period for extended periods (geddit) of time. lol.

Side note while trying not to hijack, Does any of the PCOS crew find they get period symptoms minus the period? mood swings, cravings, Acne etc...Clearly hormonal symptoms, Like my body wants to have a period but it cant. They last for a while to like my body cant clear the hormones out. I have to be the only girl ever to beg the heavens to give me my stupid period so it can relax lol. Its awful.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Just a different thought - take it or leave it, OP.

It sounds like emotional eating to me. You were angry and sad. In the past, you used food to calm these emotions. You've cleaned your kitchen out of those foods, and didn't have the emotional outlet you used to use. I would work on dealing with your emotions in another, positive manner. Exercise works for many people.
  • walktalkdog
    walktalkdog Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I've been on my period for a few days now. It's been good. But today this insane hunger hit me. I could eat a cow. I'm eating...and thinking about the next meal. I'm constantly thinking about cake...pasta...chips. I am literally in a bad mood all day because of this. Im so angry. Lol. And then i get sad to the point i want to cry because of the hunger because i hate it and it scares me. I can hear myself trying to convince myself to just go crazy and eat and I'll feel better. Yes i stay true to my calories. I've had the apple..the yogurts today...yes i find something to eat but the whole time i feel depressed because it's not a cheesecake lol. Lol like does this horror end? How do you all deal with this?

What about drinking, say, a cup of hot cocoa? Savoring it slowly? I haven't had periods in awhile, but I do remember the feeling of intense hunger! Sometimes, drinking something that tastes decadent, without being too many calories, works for me.