Question for the ladies only

Options
2»

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    This is very very common. Sometimes it means you need to eat up to total energy expenditure a few days or for the week. People always forget that the deficit is corrective action, not normal eating. It's okay to eat normal any darn day your body needs it. It won't make you gain body fat, sometimes a little more water because both protein and glucose hold water in the cells - btw fat cells do not hold much water (think of how oil/fat and water don't really mix well - it's the same in the body).
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I am going through the exact same thing right now. I've been on a contraceptive pill for the last 10 months but since I am switching brands I am a hormonal mess. I'm constantly craving food and having hunger cramps despite loading up on fiber.

To be honest I even skipped the vegetables tonight because right now the thought of it grosses me out. I need oily, fatty, carby food to make myself feel better. So I grilled fish in oil, baked a potato and ate until I was stuffed - and still under my calories. I feel a lot better but I know I won't go over the crying/anger phase if I don't get that one treat I always want but can never have: lemon meringue tart. I'm going to make it now, because a 400-500 calorie slice will not ruin my progress, but not having it might.

The only restraint you should show is to not overindulging with the treats, but allow yourself some in moderate proportions. Eat at maintenance and soon enough you'll feel a whole lot better.
  • Scarlettknits
    Scarlettknits Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm probably a little older than you, but last year I found myself feeling the same as you. It got so disruptive to feel like this for several days out of every month. My doctor prescribed paxil for 'premenstrual dystopia". I take it starting a few days before I'm due and stop when my period stops. It's been very helpful
  • JojoInTheForks
    JojoInTheForks Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    The only thing that helps me on days like that is feeling like I've been treated! I make a batch of jello, put some cool whip on top and indulge! Feels like I'm eating a bazillion calories, just like my brain wanted.
  • ludazatobom
    ludazatobom Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    jsminer827 wrote: »
    How do I deal with it? Easy! I don’t have a period because of my BC (Nuvaring). Highly recommend.

I have PCOS and havent had my period asside from this one that just came and lasted for almost two weeks in a year and a half. So having my period back is a big relief knowing things are getting handled within my body properly at last.

-- If you've been diagnosed with PCOS, you should see your gynecologist if you are getting your period less than every three months. I also went over a year without my period and it turns out that I had pre-cancerous cells in that overgrowth in my uterine lining... yikes!! I don't say that to scare you, but before I started on this journey to regain my health, I put my head deep in the sand. Like Heather4448, I too now have an IUD (Mirena) and my periods have become regular, very light, and totally manageable.

My only other tip, is to load up on fiber. A Thomas' Multigrain Light English Muffin (100 calories, crazy fiber) with either Nutella or good old PB crushes my cravings.

I've been to my doctors I've also had a son 3 years ago so I've been to the gynos and family doctors many times over the years and I've been diagnosed with pcos, insulin resistance,etc. I've been on medicine for it but i stopped for my own lazy reasons for a couple years now. And it doesn't take much to forget everything you've ever known to do in the past when you've lived such a unorganized unhealthy lifestyle like myslef for a while.
  • ludazatobom
    Options
    Just a different thought - take it or leave it, OP.

It sounds like emotional eating to me. You were angry and sad. In the past, you used food to calm these emotions. You've cleaned your kitchen out of those foods, and didn't have the emotional outlet you used to use. I would work on dealing with your emotions in another, positive manner. Exercise works for many people.

Oh i definitely have that issue and always have. I think it will be a life long battle. Food is my go to friend. And when things get tough and emotions get high my instinct is to go indulge. I've overcome this before but failed after working so hard and I've been at square one for many years now. For the past two weeks and some days now along with my menstrual cycle it's been a battle and a half with my mental self. I've kept busy. Yesterday i septn two hours organizing my entire wardrobe and throwing clothes out i don't wear....i shoved headphones in my ears turned up the volumed and danced around folding clothes lol. So i am trying. Thxz guy
  • ludazatobom
    Options
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    jsminer827 wrote: »
    How do I deal with it? Easy! I don’t have a period because of my BC (Nuvaring). Highly recommend.

I have PCOS and havent had my period asside from this one that just came and lasted for almost two weeks in a year and a half. So having my period back is a big relief knowing things are getting handled within my body properly at last.

-- If you've been diagnosed with PCOS, you should see your gynecologist if you are getting your period less than every three months. I also went over a year without my period and it turns out that I had pre-cancerous cells in that overgrowth in my uterine lining... yikes!! I don't say that to scare you, but before I started on this journey to regain my health, I put my head deep in the sand. Like Heather4448, I too now have an IUD (Mirena) and my periods have become regular, very light, and totally manageable.

My only other tip, is to load up on fiber. A Thomas' Multigrain Light English Muffin (100 calories, crazy fiber) with either Nutella or good old PB crushes my cravings.

I also have PCOS its pretty normal to not have my period for extended periods (geddit) of time. lol.

Side note while trying not to hijack, Does any of the PCOS crew find they get period symptoms minus the period? mood swings, cravings, Acne etc...Clearly hormonal symptoms, Like my body wants to have a period but it cant. They last for a while to like my body cant clear the hormones out. I have to be the only girl ever to beg the heavens to give me my stupid period so it can relax lol. Its awful.

I've been put in metformin for pcos and insulin resistance that almost always tags alongside pcos and it's helped me out previously and I've been back on it 17 days now and my period came back. But I've definitely before that have had all the period symptoms before the headaches the backaches the pimples without no period too.
  • hisamazinggirl
    hisamazinggirl Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    What I do is grab a handful of chocolate kisses and eat them then get a celery stick with peanut butter on it . Im full for the rest of the day until dinner time . Stay strong . I hate periods. I get very angry on the first 2 days of a period
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I would plan for the cheesecake. Log it, log all the other food you're eating that day. You can still stay within your calorie goal. All summer I was eating a small slice of cherry pie every day because our tree was loaded with fruit. Still lost weight.
  • kcmw112
    kcmw112 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Try green tea. I started drinking it because I was having pretty bad anxiety but it also curbed my appetite a bit. It might not work for everyone but there's a bunch of other health benefits even if it doesn't fix your hunger problem. I've been on decaf but if you need the caffeine that works too!