Very Low Calorie Foods

Options
KileyP1980
KileyP1980 Posts: 12 Member
edited November 2017 in Food and Nutrition
Just trying to get a list together of very low calorie foods people eat when looking for a snack. Few of my favourites:

Dill Pickles
Salsa
Veggies

Any other good ones out there people use to curb hunger without binging???

Replies

• toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    No such thing as "zero-calorie" foods... those are just LOW-calorie foods. ;)

Other low-calorie foods that I like are:
    - spicy chicken broth
    - sugar-free jello
    - berries
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    No such thing as a zero calorie food. Unfortunately if something is under 5cals per serving it's perfectly legal to list it as 0 calories on the label. Eat enough of it and you're eating up to 4 calories per serving. 1 dill pickle slice is usually 1-2 calories depending on size. Serving size on those is typically 3-4 slices. Anyway, food for thought. ;)
  • Kalex1975
    Kalex1975 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Radishes! Just posted this in another thread...

Radishes are a great very low-calorie snack. I buy these 1 pound bags of them which when cleaned and trimmed leave about 12 ounces - only 54 calories for an entire bag (which is like 20-30 radishes)! If you have room in your sodium intake they are even better dipped in a little sea salt.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Kim Chi
  • laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    cabbage!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Any food will be low calorie privided the portion is small enough.

But if you're hungry, you just need to eat, and to eat enough calories, not aim for as few calories as possible. You can eat anything you want. What do you like?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Pepperoncini.
  • llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Celery
    Small apple
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Baby carrots, tomatoes, peppers, sugar snap peas, celery, plain popcorn.

I like sipping peppermint or chai tea too (no added honey or sugar) after a meal.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    KileyP1980 wrote: »
    Just trying to get a list together of very low calorie foods people eat when looking for a snack. Few of my favourites:

Dill Pickles
    Salsa
    Veggies

Any other good ones out there people use to curb hunger without binging???

Protein, fiber and fat are the usual suspects for satiety, but it's a different combination for everyone.

If fat-free fiber is satiating to you - cucumber, zucchini, celery, romaine. If fat-free fiber isn't satiating to you....then you're going to have to "spring" for some calories.

My snacks are typically food I'm craving.....a piece of dark chocolate, salty crunchy popcorn, or an ice cream bar. I generally eat my veggies with meals.

Edited to add - hunger between meals. Try a few thing to address that - your calorie goal may be too low for you, experiment with meal timing, trying incorporating the 3 elements above (protein, fiber and fat) into meals. It takes time to find the right balance.
  • agbmom556
    agbmom556 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Zoodles or zuchinni noodles
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sides is baked cauliflower. Take a half a head or so, break it up, toss it with a tbsp or two of olive oil, salt, pepper, and bake at 350-375F until it's getting brown around the edges. Dip in low calorie ranch, or anything you want or just eat it like that. It's higher fiber, low calorie (if you watch how much oil you use), and baking it transforms the flavor. A large serving of it is low in calories and very filling.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Air popped popcorn. Puffed wheat. A glass of water.
  • jenchamb1
    jenchamb1 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Did you ever see something called Kim's Magic Pop at the store? Kind of like a tortilla sized air puffed disc. About 15 calories. Good for dipping in small amount of hummus or spread some whipped pb on it. Decent size snack for about 100 calories.
    Also those tea biscuits are pretty low. Nice with tea or coffee.
    Red pepper slices and snap peas are good for the sweetness.