Getting Better at Running When You're Older

Options
So yesterday I completed Couch to 5K for the second time. I am soon-to-be 54 years old, female, not overweight, but *never* have had a good level of fitness lifelong. In fact, now that my life has settled down, kids are out of the house, I'm probably more active than I have ever been as far as structured activities.

My build is such that I'm not a muscular person and don't build muscle well at all. My mother is the same way and I come from a long line of string bean looking people! In other words, I'm not very strong/powerful.

I will say that the entire time in C25K past the first 2 weeks, was a hard, hard struggle. My average pace is between 12:10-12:38 minutes per mile. It did improve from the 13 minute range. That last run was just embarrassing. Both times. It was slow, painful, sloppy, and I'm sure I was anerobic that people probably wondered if I was okay. I feel like I cannot get better. For the last few weeks, I somewhat enjoy the first 6-8 minutes of the run and that's how I want to feel the whole time. But after that, it becomes very unenjoyable and I'm checking my Garmin too often and watching the clock. I feel like if it were a tad easier that I could just enjoy the run. I'm not really interesting in doing any more distance. I just want to feel better.

What I was wondering is, do you think part of my issues are that I don't have enough "power" in my legs? Do you think if I worked more on strength training and building up my legs that running would feel better? I mean I guess I know it can't be wrong to do that, but I guess I'm just trying to figure out what my legs feel like tree trunks no matter what and that I'm running through molasses. My heart rate, during the worst of it, generally hasn't gone above 168.

My husband is a BIG marathoner and he tells me this is somewhat normal to feel like you are always struggling on a run but I think he's forgetting the short amount of time I'm out there and comparing it to his feelings at the Boston Marathon.

I'd love your thoughts!

Replies

• SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    A peak of 168 bpm still seems high to me, especially if you aren’t doing a tempo run. Take more walk breaks and don’t push yourself too hard. Some people need a longer, slower transition into distance running, be more patient.
  • CMNVA
    CMNVA Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I know this sounds crazy but when I try to slow down to a 13-14 minute mile, it feels *really* awkward to me and not natural at all. I've tried the slowing down on the last 2 weeks. For instance, I had made it through a 25 minute run with an 11:38 pace but I worked hard to slow down. I just feel so damn unnatural at that forced slower pace. Not sure why but I can't get comfortable with it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Take shorter strides but keep the turnover of steps reasonably high - thus should slow you down. Running is more a gait than a speed - it’s about having both feet off the ground unlikely walking. So yes, you can walk faster than you can run. Slow it down so you can sing whilst running, and try slowing it down so you breathe through your nose rather than your mouth.

You will find you struggle less if you slow down. Your aerobic capacity isn’t there yet, but keep at it and it’ll get there. And there is certainly something to be said for improving strength to improve running.

I started with c25k a few years ago, more to combat general laziness than with any plan. I’d never been a sporty person. Now I’m contemplating a marathon next year, and regularly run 6-10 miles.
  • CMNVA
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Not sure if it matters but my cadence has been measured at about 158 pretty consistently. I am somewhat long legged and that may be my problem with the stride.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    You've received some great suggestions already. I'll cast another vote for doing some squats and lunges. These are great strength/balance building movements that will help in running and every day activities. Its ok to dislike them...but I say do them! You'll get stronger.

And yes, run slower, so that when you reach the 8-10 minute mark you are not in significant discomfort. You should be able to say your name and address without gasping for breath during your runs. Keep at it and improvements will occur. Good luck!
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Being stronger helps everything. So yes you should include some strength training into your exercise program. Lunges, RDL, squat variant, etc. Don't neglect your core and upper body either.
  • k8andchr1smom
    k8andchr1smom Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am about to be 53, been running for less than a year, and am a former longtime smoker--quit 2/16. I'm also exceedingly slow. My PR for a 5K is 37.04 and I'm consistently at 38.00. I did 6 5K's this summer, a quarter and a 15K. I'm doing a half in the spring. Friends who have run for a while say my speed will improve. I'm starting a program on Map My Run that's designed to increase speed. If it works, yay. If not I'm still lapping people on the couch.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    Another vote for adding some strength training to your routine, strengthening your posterior chain should help.

running.competitor.com/2016/04/training/how-runners-can-train-the-posterior-chain_148841

https://active.com/running/articles/7-lower-body-exercises-to-improve-running-economy?page=1

You may also want to get some other cross training in too, cycling is a great complimentary exercise to running and I've found that my rowing machine really helps with recovery.

If it's any consolation I started running in my early 50s, ran my first 5K race at 52 (my goal time was anything below 4 min) and within a year had gotten down to 26 min. Now my favourite distance is the half-marathon and Olympic distance triathlon. I've always felt that those of us of a certain have to work twice as hard to get half the results (I wish I'd known what I know now in my 20s...) and it comes down to a matter of persistence ad consistency.

Don't stress out over your pace, it's meant to be fun. Try to run at a conversational pace, if that means going really slow so be it. Keep it up & have fun.

• CMNVA
    Options
    Hi everyone, just getting back to this thread after being at work all day. Thank you for the great advice and encouragement.

When I got home today, I decided to head right out for my own run. C25K is done, so it was first day without the app. Let me tell you; it was actually a little liberating for some reason. Not sure why. I think it was just nice to run without thinking I *had* to finish something.

Set my Garmin watch to track my run as soon as I started and I made a very conscious effort to slow down. I also tried NOT to look at my watch. Since it was so darn cold today, I had long sleeves on and that helped. Anyway, first time I looked at my watch, I was 16 minutes in and I didn't feel so awful. My goal today was just to hit 30 minutes.

I will say it was VERY unnatural to slow down, but I was not as winded and it was more pleasant. I guess around the 26 minute mark I was starting to get that feeling of dragging. But hey, that's a VAST improvement over feeling it at the 10 minute mark. When I got to about 29 minutes, while I was still feeling like I was working, I actually got a little surge of peppiness. I ended up picking up my pace for about 2 minutes and it felt good. Then I slowed it down and stopped at minute 33. All in all, it was a good run today. My distance suffered and I feel like I'll never hit 3 miles.

Surprisingly, when I checked my pace at the end, I was at 12:38. I actually didn't slow down as much as I thought I did. Actually, I think my first mile and half was probably slower than usual but that "sprint" at the end brought it down. I was probably really closer to a 13 minute mile.

I guess I'll keep trying to slow down some more. Maybe I should mix in some short/fast runs here and there on some days. I'll see. The weather here is going downhill fast so not sure how much longer I have.

As for mixing it up, my friend has belonged to a kickboxing type gym (9Round) for a year. I'm going to go with her and test it out and I may work that in over the winter. She says that for 30 minutes, it's a circuit type routine but they do encourage you to stay after that and work on weights as much as you want.

Again, thanks for your help!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Hi everyone, just getting back to this thread after being at work all day. Thank you for the great advice and encouragement.

When I got home today, I decided to head right out for my own run. C25K is done, so it was first day without the app. Let me tell you; it was actually a little liberating for some reason. Not sure why. I think it was just nice to run without thinking I *had* to finish something.

Set my Garmin watch to track my run as soon as I started and I made a very conscious effort to slow down. I also tried NOT to look at my watch. Since it was so darn cold today, I had long sleeves on and that helped. Anyway, first time I looked at my watch, I was 16 minutes in and I didn't feel so awful. My goal today was just to hit 30 minutes.

I will say it was VERY unnatural to slow down, but I was not as winded and it was more pleasant. I guess around the 26 minute mark I was starting to get that feeling of dragging. But hey, that's a VAST improvement over feeling it at the 10 minute mark. When I got to about 29 minutes, while I was still feeling like I was working, I actually got a little surge of peppiness. I ended up picking up my pace for about 2 minutes and it felt good. Then I slowed it down and stopped at minute 33. All in all, it was a good run today. My distance suffered and I feel like I'll never hit 3 miles.

Surprisingly, when I checked my pace at the end, I was at 12:38. I actually didn't slow down as much as I thought I did. Actually, I think my first mile and half was probably slower than usual but that "sprint" at the end brought it down. I was probably really closer to a 13 minute mile.

I guess I'll keep trying to slow down some more. Maybe I should mix in some short/fast runs here and there on some days. I'll see. The weather here is going downhill fast so not sure how much longer I have.

As for mixing it up, my friend has belonged to a kickboxing type gym (9Round) for a year. I'm going to go with her and test it out and I may work that in over the winter. She says that for 30 minutes, it's a circuit type routine but they do encourage you to stay after that and work on weights as much as you want.

Again, thanks for your help!

Are you run/walking the intervals as laid out in the app, or just trying to run the whole time?
  • CMNVA
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Are you run/walking the intervals as laid out in the app, or just trying to run the whole time?

I've completed the app/program earlier this week. I followed it to the letter. By the time you are on week 7 or 8, though, there is no walking. Straight running. But when there were run/walk intervals, I did them.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good run. Not looking at your watch is a good way to run without pressure. Doing a little fartlek (speed play) is also fun and can help you develop speed without pushing yourself so hard you get injured. Running fast to the next mailbox or the stop sign makes the time pass quickly.

I hope you keep running over the winter. It would be too bad to have to start over after making so much progress. With the right gear, running in the cold is fun. Hat, gloves, light jacket or vest and you can run down to about 15 degrees.

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Your running history sounds like mine.
    I started C25K in my mid-50s and have never been fit before. I'm still consistently running 3x a week (5K each time). I'm 59 now.
    It does get easier. The huffing & puffing will go away but you'll always breath heavier.
    You may get faster or not but you shouldn't let speed dictate the fun you're having on your runs. I went from about a 15 minute mile to an 11 minute mile and am currently at about a 12 minute mile. I slowed down my runs in order to run longer and found that I enjoyed the easy going feeling of that pace.
    The main thing right now is to keep putting miles under your feet. You'll get stronger over time. It'll happen slowly but it will happen.
    Keep running. Keep having fun with it. Enjoy each run, if you can. Some are a slog but they all help us get better.

• DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    Options
    CMNVA wrote: »
    Thanks for the input. Not sure if it matters but my cadence has been measured at about 158 pretty consistently. I am somewhat long legged and that may be my problem with the stride.

158 is a bit too slow for a running gait, regardless of your speed or leg length. Shorten your strides and try to get yourself to at least the mid-160's if you can. It might feel awkward at first but you'll be amazed at how much easier it feels on your knees and legs.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Sounds like you had a good run. Not looking at your watch is a good way to run without pressure. Doing a little fartlek (speed play) is also fun and can help you develop speed without pushing yourself so hard you get injured. Running fast to the next mailbox or the stop sign makes the time pass quickly.

I hope you keep running over the winter. It would be too bad to have to start over after making so much progress. With the right gear, running in the cold is fun. Hat, gloves, light jacket or vest and you can run down to about 15 degrees.

Heh, I don't know about where you or @CMNVA live, but it was 12 degrees where I live yesterday morning and I barely managed to drag myself out to run. I know a lot of folks have encouraged winter running, and it certainly would be badass to pull it off (and not lose the progress), but if 15 is the worst you can imagine, I envy you. I'm not convinced I'm going to make it through the winter either.