Healthy Wage - Get Paid to Lose Weight??? Anyone tried this?

Options
evilfairies
evilfairies Posts: 98 Member
edited November 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
This showed up on the penny hoarder where you make a bet with Healthy Wage to see whether or not you can lose a certain amount of weight. You can choose how much weight you want to lose and in what time frame, and the payout is determined by these numbers as well as your weight, height, etc.

It sounds too good to be true to be honest, but has anyone tried it?
[edited by mods]

Replies

• hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Look into achievement. They go off amount of exercise, steps and food logs. It takes a while for the first payment and it syncs up to your apps.
  • enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did this, it wasn't enough and I lost a lot of money, so I tend to not recommend it. If you're serious about prepping your meals, calories in and out, and being ok with being out money if you don't lose the weight? go ahead.
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I read a review on a similar site. Many, many complaints about people not getting their money. Worst was when people did this in groups. Someone always dropped out.
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    At 55, I still find myself amazed ...
  • justcari013
    justcari013 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I just signed up for this as well. I only bet $25/month that I will lose 70lbs in 8 months. My motivation is the money partly because I am going on vacation around the time of the payout and it would be nice to have that extra 800 bucks. But my bigger motivation is NOT to lose the money I am paying into it. Almost 10lbs down already.
  • Shellz31
    Shellz31 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I'm towards the end of my challenge. I already won a little money in one of their smaller challenges. I like healthy wage because you set your goal both in terms of amount to lose and time to lose it. I bet to lose 10% of my weight in 6 months, and I'm ahead of schedule. I'll literally triple my money, and that's a roi you just don't get anywhere else. I did a lot of research and it's completely legit.

Definitely read all the rules beforehand and set a realistic goal. That seems to be the main 2 problems I see in the people who should not have signed up and will lose their money. I see so many either not following the rules or they bet to lose 25% in 6 months or something equally crazy. That's how the company makes money though. I read that only 30ish% win their bets.

I plan on signing up for another one, again betting 10% but increasing the number of months by at least 3. This bet was my jump start, and it's been a great motivation.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Curious (because of reading too many "EVERYBODY'S CHEATING" fitbit challenge threads). How do they prevent cheating on weigh-ins?
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Shellz31 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Curious (because of reading too many "EVERYBODY'S CHEATING" fitbit challenge threads). How do they prevent cheating on weigh-ins?

They give you a few options for weigh ins. You can get a form filled out by a doctor or you can use their app to weigh in. I did the app weigh in and it basically involves wearing the right clothes, using a full length mirror so they can see you from head to toe, and following steps that include twisting around so they can see you don't have weights on you.

They also have you weigh in every week to see if it's a realistic rate. They make you send before and after pics and measurements along with id/dl that shows height.

If they suspect a weigh in then they can require you to go to a doctor of their choosing (on their dime) to get weighed in. They make it clear they will take legal action against cheaters.

I'm sure there's still ways to cheat, but considering the low win rate it doesn't seem many figure it out or want to risk it.

And this isn't like diet bet where you split a pool of money... each individual wager had its own prize amount. So even if someone cheats, that wouldn't effect anyone else's payout.

Thanks!
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Shellz31 wrote: »

Eta: I checked the agreement and no, they don't have the rights to use your images for ads :) They don't even require before/after images.

No.

See #9 on this list: https://www.healthywage.com/legal/terms-and-conditions

They can use and even modify any of your images literally forever, with no limits. Read the language, they are pretty careful to cover every possibility.

Good luck to all participants.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,777 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the win!

The less weight you have to lose the harder it is to lose it.
    A faster weight loss rate may or may not be a good thing for (any random) you.
    If your deficits exceed 20% of your TDEE (say 25% while you have enough fat reserves to usually be classified as obese), then you may be trying to lose to fast.

Do take this into account when setting up subsequent bets, especially if it would be a hardship to lose the money you're betting.

And once again, congratulations on raking in the dough! :smiley:
  • itsmyvwbeetle
    itsmyvwbeetle Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I just made my bet yesterday. I bet to lose 50 pounds in 6 months (right at 1.92 pounds a week). I bet $20 a month and my payout will be $550 so really $430 after you take my bet out. Figure I can use it as a reward for weight I was planning on losing anyway!
  • tess5036
    tess5036 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I considered doing this, bit choose not to as it sounded dodgy. I've lost a lot, so part of me is now regretting not taking it up