Does Weight Watchers work?

Options
Don't get me wrong, I love MFP, but I'm feeling like its just not working out for me. No matter what happens I am ALWAYS over my calories. And I really don't think I eat that unhealthily!

I think my problem is that I eat a lot of fruit and other snacks (pretty much constantly throughout the day), and obviously all of this contributes to my calories. I don't have loads of weight to lose (about 10lbs) and I've done it before (no carbs at all past breakfast; so not mega healthy) however this time I just want to make a long term change.

Which I why I am wondering whether to sign up to Weight Watchers, as I hear they do an option where you can eat all the fruit, veg and certain other foods you like but have to cut down on others. I think this would be better for me is my problem is I snack all day on fruit and MFP just counts this as calories.

Does anyone have any advice?

Replies

• HannahPendrigh
    HannahPendrigh Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I was on WW last year and lost 42lbs :) so yeah it does work - that was on the old plan though - I don't know about the new 'ProPoints' plan though, don't really know how it works!
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    <---- canceled my WW subscription today to become a 100% MFP member

IMO any program where you're eating correctly will work.

I was comparing the two plans the past 2 weeks, In the end I was eating roughly 4-5 extra pts/day than I was required + my Activity Points (all WW terms). Therefore it was a no-brainer for me to stick with the free option and focus.

IMO WW is good if you need the meetings for the extra support and accountability. (I was only using the forced WI - I didn't stay for meetings).
  • 1derwhy
    1derwhy Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers works just as well and fails just as often as MFP. It's not the program, but the effort you put into it.

• How many calories do you eat in a day?
    • Look at your salt intake - are you retaining water?
    • How often do you exercise?

Also take a hard look at why you want to lose 10 lbs.

If you're already within a healthy BMI, and you are having trouble hitting a "goal" weight - examine your goal. Perhaps it isn't realistic, and you've reached the place where your appetite, exercise, and body metabolism is in a healthy balanced state.
  • rebysue
    rebysue Posts: 136
    Options
    I lost most of my weight on WW but I was also on the old plan. A lot of people I have talked to who are doing the new plan doing like it as much.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    In 1997 I got to goal weight with WW. I lost 1/3 of my total body weight going from 15st 5.5lbs to 10st 3lbs and I kept the weight off for a long time. So yes it does work but again, that was the old points system, I don't know anything about the new system, I just refuse to shell out for the meetings etc when in reality I know what to do, eat less, do more. Lol! Good luck.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    WW has things MFP does not offer...

1. Vegetable/Fruit requirements
    2. Multivitamin requirements
    3. Dairy requirements
    4. Meetings that offer a supportive environment

I personally think it's a wonderful program and think you'd be very happy trying it!
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    I have heard that there is lower success rates with the new WW. It doesn't make sense to me that all fruits would be 0 pts. Bananas def. have a lot of calories. But it doesn't hurt to give it a try- and maybe if it doesn't work, just start counting fruit like for the old system.
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    Weight watchers works just as well and fails just as often as MFP. It's not the program, but the effort you put into it.

If you're already within a healthy BMI, and you are having trouble hitting a "goal" weight - examine your goal. Perhaps it isn't realistic, and you've reached the place where your appetite, exercise, and body metabolism is in a healthy balanced state.

Great points! I didn't even look at OP's stats....
  • xtielou
    xtielou Posts: 2
    Options
    I've done it twice, both the old and new plan. If you stick with it, it works. I did feel like I lost better (more quickly) on the old plan, but that was bc I was taking advantage of the zero point fruits, a lot. If it fits for your lifestyle, you'll likely do great. I just didn't want to pay for only the online version anymore and the meetings aren't in budget right now.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

Great points! I didn't even look at OP's stats....

Very well said.
  • montana_girl
    montana_girl Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    I am WW and using MFP. Like a lot of the previous posters I lost a majority of my weight with WW (113 pounds), but I really struggled with the new plan... so I decided to count calories to see what was going on.

I love WW because of the support in meetings and on line. I have been able to take a lot of the philopshy of WW (the Good Health Guidelines to eat fruit, veggies, drink water, get in some type of activity, eat whole grains, etc) and apply all of that to MFP. The combination of the two has really helped me and I now feel like I'm in control again.

Yes, there are issues with the new Points Plus program, especially for members that are at goal or close to goal. That being said, I also know a lot of people who are very successful on the new program.

WW is like anything else... you will get out of it, what you put into it! :smile:
  • Sassy922
    Sassy922 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Let's put it this way...

I paid WW $40 a month from January 2007 to February 2011.
    From January 2007 to June 2009, I tracked everything I ate, I went to meetings, I used my WW tools and exercised.
    I lost 79 pounds

For some reason in July 2009, I got cocky and thought I could do it myself. I didn't track, I didn't go to the meetings, I ate what I wanted, and didn't exercise.
    So from July 2009 to February 2011, I gained 50 pounds.

I don't think WW made me lose 79 pounds, and I don't think WW made me gain 50 pounds.

I did that. Only ME. I am accountable for my actions.

WW is just a tool, just like MFP.
    If you eat the same way on WW as you do on MFP, you'll see the same results you saw on MFP.

I just chose MFP this time (being 15 pounds from my highest) because I'm broke. I can't afford WW. But I'm using the knowledge I gained from WW and utilizing these tools too.

Your body isn't going to say, "Hey, I'm just going to ignore these 100 calories from this banana because we're paying $40/month to WW, and WW says this is 0 points."

You're eating 100 calories whether its 0 points or 3.
  • sophs87
    sophs87 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your posts.

One thing I would just like to point out is that with regards to my stats; I am only around 5ft 1 therefore 128lbs looks big on my frame. I do have to be realistic, however I have been 118lbs before and that is when I felt my happiness.

At the end of the day it is definitely my mindset; I think I just have to stick to it once and for all; as said - a calorie is a calorie.

Anyway thanks again - means a lot.
  • BotsMomJ
    BotsMomJ Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can count your Weight Watchers points on MFP?
  • Runs4Wine
    Options
    Does anyone know if you can count your Weight Watchers points on MFP?

WW owns the points and that's what you pay money for, therefore you can't count them on MFP.

However you can take your MFP daily Fat/Protein/Carbs/Fiber and tally them into your daily tracker. That's what I was doing when I did my comparison. I pulled this information from my MFP Journal and did a print option.
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    The old WW points worked well for me. The newer one was not as good but I still lost weight. But the monthly $$ was just too much!

I have gained 9 lbs though since I quit in April :(

I am hoping this site will help me get back on track without having to spend so much.