Snacking on the move question.

My drive into work is about an hour and again an hour on return. Also there are days I am driving 4-5 hours for work and keeping my board hunger under control is not easy. I have searched but there are 1000’s of nearly my question but I didn’t see this ask. Healthy snack foods (snack meaning finger food as I am driving) that can sit in the vehicle possibly for a few days.

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    edited November 2017
    Are you eating because you're hungry, or bored?
    If bored, I'd recommend not having snacks available - if they aren't there you can't eat them.

I personally found that stopping mindless snacking and eating in the car helped me understand actual hunger better. It also helped me appreciate my meals more, and feel more satisfied with the food I ate as I could take time to think about it rather than just putting stuff in my mouth out of boredom and habit.
  • chels5988
    chels5988 Posts: 23 Member
    I get the urge to munch mindlessly all the time. Ive started chewing gum when i feel like i want to eat but im not actually hungry
  • robinbrooksparker
    robinbrooksparker Posts: 20 Member
    I have an already packed container of about 20 almonds and 20 dark chocolate chips. The monounsaturated fat in almonds always makes me feel satisfied
  • bogwoppt1
    bogwoppt1 Posts: 159 Member
    edited November 2017
    Veggies, make bags of veggies that you can shovel in your mouth. Carrot sticks, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers, mushrooms. Have a nice variety and by the time you arrive each day you will have eaten your daily servings.

The upside of this is it is very hard to binge on vegetables, but they do fill you up. Also carry a water bottle, drink, it seems many men do not drink enough, sometimes hunger is boredom, or thirst.

For stuff that can sit in the car for days, stick with water.

Personally I have a no eating in the car rule, that cuts down hugely on wasted calories, and I drive a lot.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited November 2017
    Apples & bananas are good car snacks IMO

If I want a "snack food" I have to buy pre-packaged (think elementary school lunches lol) or weigh out and prepackage my own... usually cheez its or whatever. Otherwise I'll eat the whole box.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    If you are looking for food that fits your goals I suggest finding snacks you like and just taking those. I typically take protein bars, nourish bars, oat bran bars, fruit, veggies etc.

However if you are looking to do something cause bored...try a pod cast or audio books.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    If you are looking for food that fits your goals I suggest finding snacks you like and just taking those. I typically take protein bars, nourish bars, oat bran bars, fruit, veggies etc.

However if you are looking to do something cause bored...try a pod cast or audio books.

I have a list of podcasts I listen to. Some mornings I listen to my morning radio hosts instead, but I find that an interesting podcast can make me almost disappointed when I pull into my driveway. Maybe try that and some zero calorie drinks. Diet ginger ale makes my commute home nice and on the way to work I drink a cup of hot tea.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I have a list of podcasts I listen to. Some mornings I listen to my morning radio hosts instead, but I find that an interesting podcast can make me almost disappointed when I pull into my driveway. Maybe try that and some zero calorie drinks. Diet ginger ale makes my commute home nice and on the way to work I drink a cup of hot tea.

I have found that the only thing with the drinks is the need to go often...hence why I didn't suggest.

One of the things I have been doing lately is mints or hard candies or 10 calorie suckers (from halloween)

• namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    When I was traveling and needed to use that time for lunch, I made a sandwich, sliced half a cucumber, sliced an apple, and took one measured serving of pretzels. I was able to make that last most of my commute and was satisfied til later in the afternoon when I would have a snack.
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Everything that can sit in a vehicle for 'a few days' will end up being problematic. Shelf stable and temperature stable foods need to have a quality that prevents them from spoiling quickly. Generally, this is either because they are packed with sugar, packed with salt, or are essentially water-less carbohydrates or fat.

My advice would be to figure out a way to bring fresh snacks on a daily basis, maybe stored in a small cooler bag.

If you can't figure out how to make that happen, then I have some "slightly better" suggestions for boredom:
    • Raisins
    • Nuts (also trail mix)
    • Hard Pretzels
    • Freeze Dried Fruit/Fruit Chips
    • Whole Wheat Crackers
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    i have an hour commute to and from work. i dont eat in my car.

the only time i eat in the car is on longer trips. i drive to canada from southern VA every few weeks. ill pack a lunch and a snack(s). i always have a drink. on those trips, its diet coke for the caffeine lol (12+ hours)

sometimes ill grab a junkie food snack at a gas station. trail mix or chocolate covered pretzles, or even peanut butter M&M's (mmmm). but its fairly rare. I try to stick to what i packed to munch on.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Unless I'm on very long trips, my car is a no-eating zone. Crumbs and a greasy steering wheel don't work for me, and recovering a dropped Cheez-it or having a baby carrot rolling around under my seat is distracting. Try a podcast or book on tape if you're bored while driving.

If you really need something, gum, water, or beef jerky might work.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    My go to snack is a pack of almonds from Sam's.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    I try not to eat in the car - too easy to just mindlessly munch a whole bag of something. Gum is good.

Whatever you decide on, please make it something that won't take your attention off your driving. Your fellow drivers will thank you.

Signed: The person who has to have her rotator cuff repaired thanks to a distracted driver.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    edited November 2017
    I used to have a long commute to work and would eat half an apple with peanut butter on the way. Just halve and core the apple, add a little peanut butter in the middle and put in a baggie or container. It's easy to eat and not that messy.

Whenever I'm traveling I take an insulated lunch bag with a freezie pack and fill with snacks. I have no issues eating in my car because I don't make a mess or eat things that will get all over. String cheese, boiled eggs (pre-peeled), carrots, celery, apples, bananas, grapes, crackers. Whatever can be easily eaten while driving. I keep napkins in my glove box and a package of those moist wipes handy for clean-up of fingers and the steering wheel (rarely needed).

Things that would stay fresh for several days include pretzels, nuts, granola bars, jerky.
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    @hisamazinggirl oh really? Why's that?