Night shift = always hungry?

Options
So I’m on my regular rotation of night shifts. Luckily they are only 8hr shifts. The problem I seem to have is that I’m always extra hungry then when I’m on regular day or even evening shifts.

I don’t sleep very much during each day (only 4 hrs in two sessions. About 2 when I get home and 2 before I go back in)

I was hoping maybe I was just burning more during these days but was reading research that thinks we actully burn less on night shifts.

Try to eat healthy filling snacks and meals.

Anyone else have this happen? Any tips?
I’m glad I only have to do them everyone month or two.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,070 Member
    Options
    Look at your calorie deficit over the week, drop some calories on your day shifts and add them to your night shifts.

I don't think you would be burning exceptionally less on a night shift doing the same work as you're doing on a day shift. I know if I don't sleep well I am extremely hungry, so maybe this is the same for you.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Wow, I would be the same! Darkness and change in routine is hard to manage. I'd just eat fruit at night, at least its energy producing and you can eat a lot of it and not go up to that many calories. Best of luck!
  • melissajkxoxo
    melissajkxoxo Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Feel like an idiot. Didn’t even think that my lack of sleep would throw me off that bad. Hmm
  • davidylin
    davidylin Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Feel like an idiot. Didn’t even think that my lack of sleep would throw me off that bad. Hmm
    Disruptions to your circadian rhythm can wreak havoc on your hormones, hunger mechanisms, metabolism, and everything else about your body in general. Fight it as best as you can and try to keep things regular and routine.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I agree that lack of sleep is a likely culprit. Aside from everything else, I find that I’m prone to careless munching when I’m tired. Also, I don’t know if this is what you were thinking, but a lot of people believe that the difference between calories burned while awake and while asleep is substantially larger than it actually is. A big percentage of your daily calories are burned just keeping you alive (it varies based on how active you are but I think 65-70% is the average) and that doesn’t vary between sleeping and awake.
  • joepop333
    joepop333 Posts: 6 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I work split shift..2 night shift and 2 day shift (10 hours) and it is wrecking my mind,body and sleep routine. I feel what you re saying. Im starting a new clean eating diet on saturday for 2 weeks to try to get back on track
  • dfnewcombe
    dfnewcombe Posts: 94 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I work night shift and the near chronic tiredness tends to lead me to comfort food when I get home and if I am not careful, grazing at work. There may be a science to burning less calories while on night shift, but this can be managed by carefully watching what you eat while logging consistently. I pack and pre-log my food when I go to work for a meal or snack every 3 hours with the last one around 5 or 5:30 am. I need to tell myself not to eat when I get home and even try not to drink- to avoid an urgent wake up call. Try to make your room dark and a little cool, bundle up in your favorite jammies and blankets and don't let anything- no phone calls, doorbells, or TV waken you. You will feel better- though still sleep deprived- if you sleep more. This will help you avoid the intake of mindless calories.....
  • melissajkxoxo
    melissajkxoxo Posts: 35 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Yea. I do have a lovely king sized bed and the best black out curtains. Not sure why I can sleep a bit longer. Usually asked by 9am and always seem to wake up around 11:30 and just in the mood to get up.

I do pre log everything before I go in. Just usually eating extra throughout the day. Weigh in is tomorrow so hopefully there will still be a loss. *fingers crossed
  • MNLannon
    MNLannon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem. It's called, "shift work sleep disorder" (seriously look it up :p) I work 11pm-7am 5 nights a week.

What really helped me was Melatonin, others have used a magnesium suppliment. I highly recommend trying it if you haven't already.

I take it right when I get home - and I always make myself go right to bed. The first week or two I slept like the dead. After that I started waking up after 8/9 hours. I am a little groggy when I first get up, but it wears off after a half hour or so. By going to bed right around 8am I'm normally up by 6 and that gives me plenty of time to eat my breakfast, pack my lunch, and do some other household stuff.
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I just got word today that I'm starting a new job with those exact hours: 11 pm to 7 am. I'm trying to figure out how best to cope and manage my food intake.
  • Nemarto
    Nemarto Posts: 4 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Ive worked nights for the past 4 years, I also don't keep the same schedule on days off otherwise I wouldn't see my wife.

Learn to stagger your food for the day. Eat more satiating food. Get your veggies and fruit in and make sure you fiber intake is in check. This will help with overall hunger. I work 7p-7a. I eat a bit when I get up/pre workout, snack before work, dinner at work and a snack mid shift.

Overall find what increases satiety and meeting your goals.
  • MNLannon
    MNLannon Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just got word today that I'm starting a new job with those exact hours: 11 pm to 7 am. I'm trying to figure out how best to cope and manage my food intake.

I've read other threads on MFP and everyone seems to have different approaches. Some log midnight-midnight. Personally I log my meals for whatever day I wake up and am scheduled to work (i.e. I am working Tuesday Night, so all my meals get logged into Tuesday).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    are you bored or actually hungry????

my husband does night shifts too..12 hours tho and he tells me he often eats to stave off the tiredness from not sleeping much before his first shift...

or because he is bored
    or because it's there

make sure you are eating because of hunger and if so choose wisely and just stay in goal...for the week and the day if possible.

or eat differently...things that are filling like more protein or things that have more satiety like fats