How to get dem juicy delts?

Replies

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2017
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Heavy presses will do it everytime for the fronts.

Preferably barbell bench & OHP or seated.
    Incline Barbell/DB is the only thing I might add.

Heavy pulls for the rear.

Bent rows are top shelf with cleans a decent option as well.

There is nothing more optimal for growth unless you are bobybuilder status.

My delts are huge and defined and bench, OHP, and deadlift are the only lifts that would give my delts work because I powerlift.

Awesome, much appreciated. I'll be honest, i've been neglecting really hitting up bench as hard as i can (especially variations like incline/decline) because I feel like i've already got small boobs that look like "pecs" and i found that i was really really developing pecs. :lol: I know that's stupid to neglect a major muscle group; but still.

OHP is considered more beneficial than bench by some of the gifted strength gawds...even the ones with small boobs.

Good to hear!! I'll try and adjust my training regardless to focus a little more on bench and OHP as you suggested. It might also be a good idea to do a serious cut (which i've been avoiding, because, food obviously) just to get a better idea of what i'm working with. It does seem according to other replies that having that level of definition in the delts may require a very low body fat percentage or creatine to stay both lean and cut looking.

----
    Just for reference here's a current idea of the volume i'm already doing.

day one where i hit shoulders: Overhead Press in the 3-5 range along with heavy deadlifts and pullups in the same range as the first and major part of my workout followed by

Superset:
    Dumbbell shoulder press in the 10-12 range
    Dumbbell Side Lateral raises (or i'll do One-arm Cable Lateral Raises) in the 10-12 range
    Dumbbell/Plate front raise in the 10-12 range

Then i'll hit up some other bi and tri variations. I'll usually finish off with some banded pump enducing finisher kind of moves.

On my second day where i hit shoulders: rows, bench, and rack chins

followed by something like arnold presses, shrugs, dips, a couple row variations, and other bi and tri variations. Again, I'll usually finish off with some banded pump enducing finisher kind of moves.

I try and mix both rep ranges (maximal strength, hypertrophy, and endurance) as well as exercise selection (a selection of push/pull). I don't know if that's particularly helpful for anyone.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    yskaldir wrote: »
    Most women with juicy delts are on creatine, if you know what I mean.

No. What do you mean? :|

I think they're saying that most women who acheive big delts are on some sort of PED.

Most likely Anavar.

The fitness competitors also are using something to achieve low bodyfat levels.

The men with those weird protruding delts are injecting synthol.

This is the reality unfortunately.

I guess winning a $5 plastic trophy makes it all worth it though.

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Lean59man wrote: »

I think they're saying that most women who acheive big delts are on some sort of PED.

Most likely Anavar.

Maybe some... But not all. :/
  • livingleanlivingclean
    Having the separation comes from being lean I think...and pumped up

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to have round boulder shoulders as my muscle is long and attaches too far down my arm. mine are longer than my husbands (who is taller than me)

Well, you have absolutely fantastic arms :love:

Thank you... They aren't that big though! More Emily Skye, less the first inspo pic..
  • rainbowbow

I've come to the conclusion that I'm never going to have round boulder shoulders as my muscle is long and attaches too far down my arm. mine are longer than my husbands (who is taller than me)

Thank you... They aren't that big though! More Emily Skye, less the first inspo pic..

See, this is why i'm wondering if there's a key to training delts for that specific "look". I feel like most bikini competitors i've seen have some variation of this delt development. :hmm:
  • rainbowbow
    edited November 2017

Most likely Anavar.

Are some competitors getting a boost? Sure. Hell, there are about 10 girls at my local GYM who i'm certain are getting a boost. But certainly not all of them!

I just don't feel like the initial goal or look i'm talking about is outside the realm of possibility for a natural individual. ya know? Like, the woman in the photo is 5'4 and weighs 108 pounds for christs sake.
  • Lean59man
    edited November 2017
    There is no secret to the exercises to build shoulders.

Shoulder exercises: exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html
  • rainbowbow
    There is no secret to the exercises to build shoulders.

Shoulder exercises: exrx.net/Lists/ExList/ShouldWt.html

ooh, i forgot this existed. thanks! :)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited November 2017
    Is this a matter of body fat?

idk . . .maybe? for what it's worth i do have pretty good delts**, but i can't tell you how they would look if i went and gained a whole bunch of fat.

as for what i did to get them, i think just being a cyclist for decades gave me a good start before i even went near a weight. and then either cause or effect . . . overhead press and front squats are my two most-favourite and most comfortable lifts. that's the front and the mid, and then i guess rows are my biggest contributor for the rear.

saw the discussion on bench. just so you know, i went on a bench-pressing-is-stupid strike for a good part of the year and my showcase lift ohp suffered like crazy from it. there's more pec in the overhead press than i was giving myself credit for, and i also think that the bench was probably helping to support my entire 'shelf' musculature and cueing. so i have put bench back and the fix to my form with the ohp was immediate.

** i wouldn't normally say that, but i have it on the authority of a total stranger in my local rec centre recently, so. she asked me to push up my sleeves for some other reason and claimed to be really impressed. pics not available though.

• livingleanlivingclean

See, this is why i'm wondering if there's a key to training delts for that specific "look". I feel like most bikini competitors i've seen have some variation of this delt development. :hmm:

Posing helps a lot - most pics you see would be taken pumped up and the body being held in a way to make everything look as good as possible
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

Posing helps a lot - most pics you see would be taken pumped up and the body being held in a way to make everything look as good as possible

And possibly photoshopped.. but being very lean helps.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member

This.
  • rainbowbow

This.

:(
  • rainbowbow
    edited November 2017
    0yn1ajhdojqp.jpeg

While I don’t think I have “juicy delts” per se, I’ve noticed a lot of development in that area over the last couple of years. I do a TON of over head work, presses, push presses and jerks. It’s definitely more noticible the leaner I am.

Thanks so much!! you definitely have what I'm trying to achieve! I just want separation that's visible without flexing or all pumped up. :)

What kind of volume and training frequency do you currently do and what is your diet like? Do you eat above or around maintenance more often than not?

Also, not to be creepy but you have an absolutely beautiful back :love:
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    edited November 2017
    Higher concentration of creatine receptors in traps/delts than most other muscles.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10664066
    And supposedly here, but I don't have full access: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7005620

I don't have any creatine, but my fronts grow relatively easy just from OHP/BP. I have to do a ton of isolation volume with lateral raises, bent over raises, face pulls etc. to get anything noticeable out of the laterals and posteriors. Heavy pulls and rows don't seem to do much for me there.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2017
    I will add, the leaner I get, the better my delts are. I am doing PHAT which has a good amount of shoulder work, which may be contributing to that as well. There is probably also a genetic component which can influence how they look. If i can dig it up, Eric Helms has a good piece on it; he actually compares him and his buddy who are the same height, weight and is a body builder, too. But they have preferred poses back on structure.

ETA:

https://youtu.be/RkFN_u5niCM
  • Lean59man
    Wow, losing 100 lbs and achieving that physique is amazing.

Congratulations.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    Wow, losing 100 lbs and achieving that physique is amazing.

Congratulations.

It's so kind of you to say that, thank you so much!