Plant-Based Anyone?

Options
I am looking to start a group or have friends who are doing the plant-based approach to their diet. I had a consultation with a nutritionist the other day that enlightened me on the subject. I really think this is worth trying as besides needing to lose weight, I need to improve my health and general well being. Anyone?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You can lose, maintain, or even gain on a plant-based diet -- it's going to come down to how many calories you consume.

Some people do find that going plant-based improves their health or makes them feel better -- I would say that sometimes people do improve their diet when going plant-based (example: they're eating more vegetables, getting more fiber, etc), but these are changes that can be made while still eating animal products (if someone wanted to). Other people don't feel any difference at all.

That said, it's a perfectly healthful way to eat and it's one of many diet patterns that can help you meet your nutritional needs and it's compatible with calorie counting to lose weight (if that is your goal).

Did your nutritionist recommend a specific plan or strategy to go plant-based or provide any nutritional information on how to plan your diet?
  • cincygal73
    cincygal73 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am trying the plant based eating approach starting today.
  • goodgirlsue41
    goodgirlsue41 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I’ve been a vegetarian for almost 18 years (with one break). As others have said, it didn’t help me lose weight. In fact, I slowly gained. I would love to be part of a plant based diet group! For me, the only thing that has really worked is calorie restriction, along with cutting out high-fat dairy products like cheese. I’ve also upped the vegetable intake. Please add me if you like.
  • sarodriguez372
    sarodriguez372 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a paleo way of eating for close to 6-8 months but I added in weight training at the gym about 2 months ago so that low carb way of eating was killing me! I needed much more energy for my workouts. Recently I got to the point I couldn’t eat another piece of chicken so I started eaten more plant based and added in more carbs.... feel so much better . I also haven’t done dairy in 6 years for lactose issues
    I do organic vegan protein shakes 2 times a day to help get calories in and helps with recovery for my muscles after workouts. I am slowly transitioning more plant base add me if you like my food diary is public.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,392 MFP Moderator
    Options
    teecee60 wrote: »
    Jane --

He gave me all kind of supporting information but the plan is simple...cut out animal products including fish, eggs, dairy, eliminate extra fats & sodium, processed foods. Nothing is off limits if it is a fruit, vegetable, whole grain or legume. He also recommended nuts but I am not to go crazy on it.

He also said that we as humans do not need the protein that everyone thinks we do. I think, for me, I will try to avoid meat but if I am in a situation that lean meats, fish or poultry is being offered, I will allow myself a small helping.

I started my day with a green smoothie (soy milk, spinach, banana, strawberries) and had fresh veggies for lunch. My snacks so far have been almonds and an apple.

Thanks for your feedback!

This sounds like a really restrictive plan. Some processed foods can be really great and convenient sources for nutrients, especially if you are limiting your consumption of meat, eggs, and dairy. The soy milk you're having in your smoothie, for instance, is a processed food, but it's also a great source of protein (and probably also fortified with calcium and vitamin D, two things that can be harder for plant-based people to get enough of).

While some plans call for more protein than we do need, I would be cautious about someone who was telling me that "we don't need the protein everyone thinks we do." Protein is an essential macronutrient for humans and getting sufficient protein is especially important for active people, people on a calorie deficit, and people who are older. It helps maintain your muscle mass. So while I agree that you don't need massive amounts of protein, *you do need it* and more than some "plant-based people" are recommending (and I say this as a vegan, not at all hostile to plant-based diets).

I will add, if you look at the science, it supports the need for higher levels of protein for those losing weight, older or active. It ranges from 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight. And the leaner and more active, the more to the right that is.

One thing that you should also note, is that protein is the most satiating nutrient and many studies support the increase in weight loss and complaince with higher protein diets.
  • jenmarrs429
    jenmarrs429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Vegan here.
    Be sure to find an acceptable source of B12, Omega3, Omega6, D, and Calcium. B12 can be a challenge, with nutritional yeast being the best in my opinion. I use Hemp hearts for the Omegas, vegan supplements for the others. buying a book on plant based nutrition is a great way to get started safely.
    I need to supplement iron when I am doing frequent platelet donations but veggies do it for me the test of the time.
    Good luck and welcome to a sustainable future!
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Options
    Lots of internet sources and books on WFPB (Whole Foods Plant Based). I don't know how many follow this style of diet, but I know some runners that do. Some are vegetarians, but not all. Like Jen mentions above - I do recommend those supplements.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    teecee60 wrote: »
    Jane --

He gave me all kind of supporting information but the plan is simple...cut out animal products including fish, eggs, dairy, eliminate extra fats & sodium, processed foods. Nothing is off limits if it is a fruit, vegetable, whole grain or legume. He also recommended nuts but I am not to go crazy on it.

He also said that we as humans do not need the protein that everyone thinks we do. I think, for me, I will try to avoid meat but if I am in a situation that lean meats, fish or poultry is being offered, I will allow myself a small helping.

I started my day with a green smoothie (soy milk, spinach, banana, strawberries) and had fresh veggies for lunch. My snacks so far have been almonds and an apple.

Thanks for your feedback!

This sounds like a really restrictive plan. Some processed foods can be really great and convenient sources for nutrients, especially if you are limiting your consumption of meat, eggs, and dairy. The soy milk you're having in your smoothie, for instance, is a processed food, but it's also a great source of protein (and probably also fortified with calcium and vitamin D, two things that can be harder for plant-based people to get enough of).

While some plans call for more protein than we do need, I would be cautious about someone who was telling me that "we don't need the protein everyone thinks we do." Protein is an essential macronutrient for humans and getting sufficient protein is especially important for active people, people on a calorie deficit, and people who are older. It helps maintain your muscle mass. So while I agree that you don't need massive amounts of protein, *you do need it* and more than some "plant-based people" are recommending (and I say this as a vegan, not at all hostile to plant-based diets).

I will add, if you look at the science, it supports the need for higher levels of protein for those losing weight, older or active. It ranges from 1.5 to 2.2g/kg of weight. And the leaner and more active, the more to the right that is.

One thing that you should also note, is that protein is the most satiating nutrient and many studies support the increase in weight loss and complaince with higher protein diets.

You're absolutely right -- I should have been clearer in my wording. Not only do the populations I mentioned need to get enough protein, "enough" for them appears to be more than what it would be for some other groups.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Vegan here.
    Be sure to find an acceptable source of B12, Omega3, Omega6, D, and Calcium. B12 can be a challenge, with nutritional yeast being the best in my opinion. I use Hemp hearts for the Omegas, vegan supplements for the others. buying a book on plant based nutrition is a great way to get started safely.
    I need to supplement iron when I am doing frequent platelet donations but veggies do it for me the test of the time.
    Good luck and welcome to a sustainable future!

Note: If you are relying on nutritional yeast for your B12 needs, make sure the one you are buying is actually fortified with B12. Not all of them are and it has to be added -- it isn't naturally in nutritional yeast.

A good back-up is to take a supplement -- they're cheap and easy to find. I use a oral spray -- just two sprays on my tongue in the AM and I know I'm good. That way any fortified foods I eat during the day are just a bonus.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    I've been eating plant based for 5 years. I have lost 80 LBS, and i am getting into calisthenics and ultra-distance cycling. Anyone feel free to friend me.
  • eminater
    eminater Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I am mainly plant based with an open diary, feel free to friend me. Most of my entries are my saved recipes - but u can ask about anything. I'm looking for others with plant based and open diary as it is a great way to get ideas and so on.

I just posted a recipe - I made for lunch it's in the recipe forum : Borlotti and Avocado Salad. So YUM!