How to deal with dinner?

Options
Hey, recently started to gym. My work ends st 630, by the time I reach the gym it was already close to 8. Been struggling with having dinner at 11 when I reached home. Thinking about having protein powder with probably a few bananas for dinner right before I gym. Is that better? I'm gyming on Mon, Wed and Fri

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Would you prefer to eat just bananas and a shake? Or would you prefer a meal?

As long as you are sticking to your calories it really comes down to personal preference.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Why do you struggle with having dinner at 11? Too tired to cook? Can you reheat something? Or eat a sandwich?

Protein powder and a few bananas doesn't immediately sound like a better option than a balanced meal, but you have to look at your overall diet and find out what works for you.
  • ZylerChua
    ZylerChua Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Why do you struggle with having dinner at 11? Too tired to cook? Can you reheat something? Or eat a sandwich?

Protein powder and a few bananas doesn't immediately sound like a better option than a balanced meal, but you have to look at your overall diet and find out what works for you.

Isn't it way to late to have dinner? And I gotta wake at 7 so I need at least 7 hour of rest and it isn't good to sleep straight after u sleep
  • DananaNanas
    DananaNanas Posts: 665 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Meal timing is not really relevant to weight loss :) I eat dinner at 10:00 on Wednesdays and Thursdays because I get home from my second job super late. I don't start eating for the day until the afternoon.. some people actually can't sleep on an empty stomach so I think that's up to personal preference. Have you looked into/heard of intermittent fasting? It might be a solution for you, or at least give you some information on meal timing. Good luck!
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    ZylerChua wrote: »
    Hey, recently started to gym. My work ends st 630, by the time I reach the gym it was already close to 8. Been struggling with having dinner at 11 when I reached home. Thinking about having protein powder with probably a few bananas for dinner right before I gym. Is that better? I'm gyming on Mon, Wed and Fri

Whatever you prefer, unless the late dinner is interfering with sleep. Do you have a microwave at work? You could always batch cook and then microwave and eat dinner before leaving work if you do. I usually do that, and then have an additional supper after running & dancing around 11pm.
  • freakhazerd24
    freakhazerd24 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I fast every day and eat no breakfast, small lunch. Then eat the majority of my calories a hour or 2 at most before bed. I can't sleep when hungry and being hungry during the day Dosent bother me that much.
  • MamaMc3
    MamaMc3 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't sleep well if I eat a meal right before I go to bed, so my preference would be to eat something small between work and the gym and then eating another small meal/snack after the gym. I'd split it up.
  • cc183g
    cc183g Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    How about eating the large meal at lunch time. Small portions before bedtime. I've never seen a diet that recommends eating a big meal at bedtime.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options

Isn't it way to late to have dinner? And I gotta wake at 7 so I need at least 7 hour of rest and it isn't good to sleep straight after u sleep

Eating just before bed can interrupt sleep for some people. And if you have reflux issues, it's probably not a good idea. It won't affect weight loss, but it may or may not work well for you.

If it's a problem I think @MamaMc3 has a good suggestion above.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    cc183g wrote: »
    How about eating the large meal at lunch time. Small portions before bedtime. I've never seen a diet that recommends eating a big meal at bedtime.
    I have never seen a diet that works, not in the long run. Meal timing is totally up to preference.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

You have dinner when you want to have dinner. Why isn't it good to sleep right after you eat?? I sleep marvellously right after a big meal. If you want more/longer sleep (I would), consider cutting out the late exercise sessions.
  • maryannprt
    maryannprt Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Does eating late interfere with your sleep? Give you heartburn or weird dreams? If not, I don't think there is any reason to avoid eating late. If it does those things, eat a bigger breakfast or lunch. Does a big meal just before your workout cause problems? No magic to when you eat, as long as it doesn't cause other problems.