Making BROWN RICE for the first time! Anyone have any tips??

Options
Anyone know any tips about brown rice? Im making "Riceland" Extra Long Grain Natural Brown Rice.

Replies

• 500lbs2marathon
    500lbs2marathon Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Are you looking for tips on how to make the rice? or what to make WITH the rice?
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I usually throw it together with some chicken and light honey dijon dressing. Tastes pretty good...you could also have it with some fish and veggies for the side :drinker:
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    use chicken or beef broth to give extra flavor. I do that with all of my rice recipes!
  • Kristine442
    Options
    I use a rice cooker for brown and white rice. White usually takes 30 minutes to make and brown almost an hour. I would strongly recommend that once it is done, to let the rice sit in the cooker at least 5 minutes as clean up will be much easier!!
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Are there any directions on the package? I always make mine in the rice cooker, but I have heard that you should use a little bit more water with brown because it tends to be dryer. For extra flavour you could throw in a clove of garlic when it's cooking, or use chicken stock instead of water. Good luck :)
  • bmonahan115
    bmonahan115 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    PATIENCE! haha it takes much longer to cook and a touch more liquid to cook in. def don't rec. adding salt to it (salt naturally makes rice a little tougher which is great to keep white rice kernels separated) but brown rice has its own husk/fibers so it'll stay separated on its own and it'll be a little too toothy if you did add salt

good luck! :D
  • lindalou0703
    lindalou0703 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I use a rice cooker because I have never been able to cook it right :tongue:
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    use chicken or beef broth to give extra flavor. I do that with all of my rice recipes!

YES, this! ^^
  • jessicahelene
    jessicahelene Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I don't know how you feel about veggies but I make this recipe with brown rice sometimes as a side dish with ANYTHING.

Brown Rice with Mushrooms & Peas
    Brown Rice (4 servings), prepared per instructions (I use chicken or vegetable stock for more flavor)
    1 tsp olive oil
    1/4 sweet yellow onion, diced
    1 1/2 cups of button or cremini mushrooms, sliced thinly
    1/2 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1 tbsp butter or butter substitute (I like the Smart Balance with Flax Oil)
    1 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
    Salt & pepper to taste

Prepare rice per instructions. Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Sauté onions until soft then add mushrooms, continue to sauté until golden brown. Once rice is finished cooking, add mushrooms, onions, peas, butter, soy sauce, salt & pepper to taste. Enjoy.
  • kelceyjean12011
    kelceyjean12011 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    i usually make chicken or shrimp stir fry with it
  • HollyMcCaw
    HollyMcCaw Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Oh fyi. I had brown rice with mixed vegetables and cut up chicken breast mixed you with pasta sauce at lunch today and it was delicious! Not sure if it's something you would like but it was really good!
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,195 Member
    Options
    Alton Brown's baked brown rice recipe on the food network turns out very well. I sub olive oil for the butter, add onion, etc.
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Let the brown rice soak in whatever you are cooking it in for AT LEAST 30 minutes.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    You can use chicken or vegatable broth instead of water to give it more flavor. Yummy!
  • Dave351
    Dave351 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    A rice cooker is the easiest way to go! Set it and forget it! Avoid all the add-ons (i.e. butter, sauces, starches, etc) if you're looking to loose weight!
  • change_happens
    Options
    it has taken me some time to get used to brown rice. I like it now. I boil it with garlic powder, a little salt, onions, tomatoes, green peppers, green onions, garlic, vegetable broth, a little olive oil and cayenne pepper. Pretty tasty.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

YES, this! ^^

Thirding it. I actually use that Better Than Bullion paste, but same thing basically.
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options

This! It definitely makes it taste A LOT better! You can also throw some frozen veggies in with it... I like peas and carrots. NOM!
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    1 cup rice to 2 1/3cup water. (as opposed to white rice thats 1 cup rice 2 cups water); takes about 40 minutes (white rice only takes 20minutes). when making rice i generally add a tablespoon of yogurt butter (low calorie natural butter), that makes rice fluffier/creamier, and doesnt make it stick to pan, etc. I also add in garlic, italian herbs, pepper, and cayenne pepper if i want spice. Keep the cover on it and dont remove it until its done or else you let out the steam and then it makes it burn/get stuck to pan.
  • leilani♥
    leilani♥ Posts: 579
    Options
    I'm making brown rice fried rice tonight.

Adding egg whites, spinach, garlic, mushrooms, & onions. Serving it with Tilapia :wink: