some of my best "friends"

Options
in the kitchen:

Measuring Cups
Measuring Spoons
Food Scale
tiny "dip" bowls for dressings etc. so I can dip in just to get the flavor, not pour it all over my foods ie salads or vegies to dip
32 Ounce size glass or water bottle
Rice-cooker(Uncle Bens cooks up perfect in mine, other brand don't as well, that I've tried)

Some of the best foods for me to keep on hand:
Olive Oil
Mrs. Dash(but I still use a little salt)
Spray "I can't believe it's butter"
Whole Grain breads(english muffins)with flax if possible, flour tortillas, cheerios, Vanilla Soy Milk, Adams Crunchy Peanut Butter, whole grain saltine crackers, all meats but very rare if I eat red meats anymore. I do a lot of pan-frying as that works best on my stove(oven doesn't adjust right)but.......I use spray olive oil or just enough Olive Oil to cover the bottom of the pan, live culture Natural Yogurt(Vanilla)frozen fruits to add to my yogurt, walnuts or cashews always on hand. All I drink is water except for rare occasions when I will have a glass of juice(V8, Cranberry etc)frozen vegetables(fresh when I can)
Always keep brown rice, and frozen potatos on hand as well.

Please feel welcome to list some of yours. I am so open to learning new things as I can get in a rut with the foods:wink::drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Replies

• NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    in the kitchen:

Measuring Cups
    Measuring Spoons
    Food Scale
    tiny "dip" bowls for dressings etc. so I can dip in just to get the flavor, not pour it all over my foods ie salads or vegies to dip
    Rice-cooker(Uncle Bens cooks up perfect in mine, other brand don't as well, that I've tried)

Olive Oil
    Whole Grain breads(english muffins)with flax if possible, flour tortillas, cheerios, Vanilla Soy Milk, Adams Crunchy Peanut Butter, whole grain saltine crackers, all meats but very rare if I eat red meats anymore. I do a lot of pan-frying as that works best on my stove(oven doesn't adjust right)but.......I use spray olive oil or just enough Olive Oil to cover the bottom of the pan, live culture Natural Yogurt(Vanilla)frozen fruits to add to my yogurt, walnuts or cashews always on hand. All I drink is water except for rare occasions when I will have a glass of juice(V8, Cranberry etc)frozen vegetables(fresh when I can)

Please feel welcome to list some of yours. I am so open to learning new things as I can get in a rut with the foods:wink::drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    great idea to get new ideas......

i always have on hand/or use:
    steamer (veggies, meat, rice)
    100 calories snacks (assort. kinds)
    indv. ice cream cups
    bread maker
    ice tea always in fridge
    water flavorings
    most of the things country gal has on her list.
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Hmm, good ideas.

I just bought an oil "mister" bottle that is my new best friend. I have a solvent alergy, and the PAM spray uses propane as a propellent. So the olive oil in my mister is a fantastic switch for me.

Foods I keep on hand:
    WASA rye crackers
    eggs
    Source yougurt
    home-made no-fat bran muffins
    Fibre 1 cereal
    bananas (for smoothies, yum!)
    low-calorie soups
    a few low-cal frozen entrees for when I am uninspired or too hungry to take the time to eat well.
  • beagle595
    Options
    Thanks to all of you... Now I started a new shopping list to include some new items that all of you listed. I do use a Olive Oil Mister... great taste. And I use Pam for eggs... (* I finally got a food scale.)
    What I can't live without.. a sweet potato. I eat one when I am having a total crave for carbs. Thanks for everyone's postings. They really keep me motivated!
    Have a great day everyone and keep up the great work!
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    In the kitchen:
    Measuring cups & spoons
    Magic Bullet - mixes smoothies in a snap!
    Snack-sized ziplocs for portioning snacks & fruit for the week.
    Crock Pot - for delicious, hearty, healthy soups, stews, and chili

Foods I keep on hand:
    LOTS of fruit and veggies
    Laughing cow cheese wedges - for the veggies
    Cheez-Its Reduced fat white cheddar
    Sara Lee 45 calories wheat bread
    Idaho Potatoes
    Skim milk
    Yoplait Vanilla Lowfat yogurt
    Fiber One raisin bran and Frosted Shredded Wheat
    Mrs. Freshley's SnackAway cupcakes!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,104 Member
    Options
    This is great, I was thinking of a thread like this!
    My best tip for the day:
    ~I always have fresh roasted garlic cloves soaking in olive oil and Mrs. Dash in the fridge. Cook garlic heads wrapped in foil 20 minutes at 350, peel, put peeled cloves in jar, cover with EVOO, add seasoning to taste. You can use the flavored oil, too!

Always on hand:

~ 100% whole wheat bread or pitas- small size slices - 60 cal
    ~Apples - Fujis are awesome right now
    ~Oranges - Florida Minneolas are in!!!
    ~Zucchini
    ~Carrots
    ~Canned stewed tomatos
    ~Lg bottle of Salsa
    ~Romaine or fresh spinach
    ~15-bean soup, homemade from the recipe on the dried bean package. A huge source of protein, fiber, and potassium. Delicious. Crockpot.
    ~Lean fresh meat (no beef)
    ~Yogurt - lowfat
    ~Frozen Mangos
    ~DESIGNERS Whey protein powder
    ~Almond milk, unsweetened
    ~Mrs. Dash regular
    ~Cholula sprinkle-on seasoning
    ~Cholula sauce
    ~Dehydrated onion flakes
    ~Fresh roasted garlic cloves in EVOO
    ~Sea salt
    ~Fresh ground pepper mill

~Small plates to eat from (like 8 in.)
  • spiritmi
    spiritmi Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    thank you all for the great ideas, i am going to try the roasted garlic in olive oil this week!!!
    i can't think of anything else i could add to this thread, other than to keep hummus on hand which is so easy to make from dried chickpeas or canned ...blessings to all
  • NWCountryGal
    NWCountryGal Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    Wowwwwwwwww!! This is great!! I gained a lot of new ideas!! Among others, I love the "mister w/olive oil" woooooooooohoo!!!

Thank you all, big hugs to each of you and thank you thank you for sharing!!!!!!!!!!! Denise :wink: :flowerforyou: for each of you:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :heart:
  • sunflower8926
    Options
    Questions:

1. How do you cook your sweet potato?

2. What do you do with the garlic in oil? I use a lot of garlic, but have never roasted them.

• mommachag
    Options
    my must haves-

fat free plain yogurt
    frozen blueberries
    matthews bread (80 calories)
    steel cut oats
    greek yogurt
    spinach
    salad greens
    lemon
  • cjm0014
    cjm0014 Posts: 118
    Options
    hi! do you have your recipe for the bran muffins? :happy:

Hmm, good ideas.

I just bought an oil "mister" bottle that is my new best friend. I have a solvent alergy, and the PAM spray uses propane as a propellent. So the olive oil in my mister is a fantastic switch for me.

Foods I keep on hand:
    WASA rye crackers
    eggs
    Source yougurt
    Fibre 1 cereal
    low-calorie soups
    a few low-cal frozen entrees for when I am uninspired or too hungry to take the time to eat well.
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Hmm, good ideas.

Foods I keep on hand:
    WASA rye crackers
    eggs
    Source yougurt
    Fibre 1 cereal
    low-calorie soups
    bananas
    mott's natural applesauce
    fiber one toaster pastries
    WATER
    100 calorie packs

I want the no fat bran muffin recipe...
    and what's the mister?
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    in the kitchen:

Measuring Cups
    Measuring Spoons
    Food Scale

Olive Oil

You've got a great group of friends in your kitchen Denise:wink::tongue: ...and helpful ones at that:flowerforyou:
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    small bowls and teaspoons to eat from
    small plates too

lemons - I squeeze them over all kinds of food and have it in hot water in the morning
    broccoli - we go through at least 3 bunches a week!
    Ace Bakery organic granary bread... It's aweome, filling and well worth the 100 calories!
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Hmm, good ideas.

Foods I keep on hand:
    WASA rye crackers
    eggs
    Source yougurt
    Fibre 1 cereal
    low-calorie soups
    bananas
    mott's natural applesauce
    fiber one toaster pastries
    WATER
    100 calorie packs

I want the no fat bran muffin recipe...
    and what's the mister?

I got my "mist-er" from Pampered Chef:
    #2506 Kitchen Spritzer — $10.50
    Prepare pans with oil or mist salads with lemon juice using this refillable nonaerosol bottle.

https://www.pamperedchef.com/ordering/prod_details.tpc?prodId=610&catId=123&parentCatId=123&outletSubCat=&viewAllOutlet=
    aap.jpg
  • heather0mc
    heather0mc Posts: 4,656 Member
    Options
    romaine lettuce
    carrots
    tomatos
    cucumbers ~ all for my daily lunch salad

onion
    lean meats
    olive oil
    garlic
    fresh veggies
    a couple potatos

eggs
    turkey bacon or sausage
    wheat bread
    string cheese

frozen veggies - love the green giant simply steam ones
    yogurt for breakfast

snack baggies
    and of course, water! :drinker:
  • sunflower8926
    Options
    Fat Free Bran Muffins
    Makes 24

Ingredients
    1 1/2 c. wheat bran (not cereal, the actual bran from the baking section of the store)
    approx. 1/2 c. boiling water
    1 banana
    1 c. source yogurt (I use lemon flavor, but it doesn't matter really)
    1 egg
    1/2 c. sugar
    1/2 c. molasses
    1 c. whole wheat flour
    1 c. flour
    2 tbsp. flax
    1 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. baking powder
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1 tsp. allspice
    1 c. raisins

Directions:
    Measure bran into a mixing bowl. Add boiling water (just enough to wet the bran so it can soften). Add banana and mash into bran. Add sugar and stir. Mix in egg, molasses, and yogurt. Add all remaining ingredients in order, stirring as you go. The final mixture should be thinner than your average muffin recipe, but not too thin. (Because there is no fat, all the moisture is from water. You can add a little more flour if you feel it's too runny.)
    I don't usually use muffin tins (because I hate cleaning them:smile: ), so I bake this mixture in two bread loaf pans, OR in one 8 1/2 x 11 pan. It takes about 34 -40 minutes at 350. Test with a toothpick if you're not sure when they're done. If you cook them in muffin tins, reduce the time by about half.
    Once the "muffins" have baked and cooled, cut into 24 pieces. Place all of the pieces into a plastic bag (ziplock, for example) or they will dry out. It will come out of the oven a bit dry, but the pieces soften up when they are bagged for some reason. You can also substitute Splenda for sugar if you would like to reduce the sugar.

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 115
    Calories from Fat 8
    % Daily Value*
    Total Fat 0.9g1%
    Saturated Fat 0.1g1%
    Cholesterol 8mg3%
    Sodium 83mg3%
    Total Carbohydrates 26.6g9%
    Dietary Fiber 2.5g10%
    Sugars 12.7g
    Protein 2.3g

Vitamin A 0% • Vitamin C 1%
    Calcium 4% • Iron 8%
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    bumpin for me :blushing: :tongue:
  • Mangoaddict
    Mangoaddict Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Must haves:

1) peanut butter
    2) Brown Rice Cakes
    3) Eggs
    4) Whole wheat tortillas
    5) Home made jam
    6) Trader Joes Multigrain pancake mix
    7) Olive Oil
    8) Steamers (frozen vegies)
    9) Hummus
    10) Chicken Breast/Cod/Turkey
    11) Luna - Sport Electrolyte Drink powder
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Questions:

1. How do you cook your sweet potato?

2. What do you do with the garlic in oil? I use a lot of garlic, but have never roasted them.

Fresh garlic "sprouts" . In my attempt to actually use an entire head of garlic before it sprouted - I started roasting it.
    I use it on or in everything that I would normally use garlic for. When do you ever use it raw?
    And the oil is usable as a garlic flavored oil. I don't use regular unflavored olive oil unless it is in the mist-er bottle for a light spray.

And, although I don't eat potatos right now, and didn't list the sweet potatos, a great low-fat way is to cut them either like fries or in chunks, spray them with some cooking spray, sprinkle your favorite seasoning on them, and bake for about 40-50 min on a baking sheet at 350. Turn once after 20 min.