eating around BMR - not TDEE - to lose weight - and periods

Hi all,
I was definitely losing weight - thank god - I work out 6 times a week - weights as well as cardio. I walk around a fair bit during the day, I do office work but don't sit still.
I upped my calorie intake as it was too low as suggested by MFP - 1280 calories a day for someone who does over 10,000steps plus exercise - nahhh.
I started eating 1480 or around 1350 - depended on appetite - and got my period a few days ago - I have shot up 2 kilos!!! :(

I am 172cm tall, 40 yr old woman, exercise is heavy weights 3 times a week and a bit of HIIT at the end of leg day, rowing and running for cardio. My performance in the gym and doing cardio is really good, I have been hitting PBs since I upped my food a bit. I have a very clean eating pattern too, rare I eat anything processed other than whey protein!

has anyone else experienced problems working out eating around BMR level and then any potential weight gain, or possible period bloat? this is VERY frustrating.
also hard to track my weight and weigh myself!
I was going so well.
I don't know if it is the period or the extra calories - not like I have gone overboard with calories here.

any thoughts???

Replies

• hunterc47
    hunterc47 Posts: 9 Member
    MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories to maintain a healthy deficit. The deficit it gives you is without deliberate exercise. I see nothing in your post indicating consuming exercise calories ... so a gross of 1280 coupled with workouts would be under eating.
  • katetelf
    katetelf Posts: 6 Member
    hunterc47 wrote: »
    MFP is designed for you to eat back your exercise calories to maintain a healthy deficit. The deficit it gives you is without deliberate exercise. I see nothing in your post indicating consuming exercise calories ... so a gross of 1280 coupled with workouts would be under eating.

yeah that is why I upped my calories. It was also too little; I worked out my BMR and TDEE (separate to MFP). I also use a heart rate monitor so I have an accurate reading of my calories burnt for exercise.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    It's just your period.

I gain 4lbs every month around ovulation.
  • 143tobe
    143tobe Posts: 620 Member
    A friend had good advice. Just don't weigh yourself during your period. I usually wait until two or three days after it ends to hit the scale. Why make yourself worry? Great job on your workouts! They sound awesome! Happy you've decided to add more calories! Personal bests are a pretty good indication that you've needed them and they are going to good use. :)
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    It's your period. You've likely gained a couple of pounds of water weight around it many times over the past 20 something years but didn't realize it. No big deal.
  • Vonny198334
    Vonny198334 Posts: 178 Member
    I only find out 2/4 weeks what I actually weigh. I retain like crazy during ovulation & the week of my period. Always have, likely always will!

It is a frustrating thing, but also something I've just had to accept...it's really hard for me. There's been times I've driven myself crazy over it. Intellectually I understand it perfectly, but emotionally it was a real struggle so I really do understand.

I am getting better at listening to other indicators during those times of the month now. In those two weeks I rely on the measuring tape & clothes that were a bit snug to show me my progress.

I also weigh everyday & record my weight on a simple weight app. I began that 6 weeks ago & this month I feel a LOT less stressed because the graph so far is exactly the same as last month. It really helps me to see the water trend in real time & have a rough estimate of many days I have left before the scale drops. I know this method isn't for everyone but it definitely helped me understand the process having a visual graph :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    you got your period, yet you're surprised you gained weight?
  • katetelf
    143tobe wrote: »
    A friend had good advice. Just don't weigh yourself during your period. I usually wait until two or three days after it ends to hit the scale. Why make yourself worry? Great job on your workouts! They sound awesome! Happy you've decided to add more calories! Personal bests are a pretty good indication that you've needed them and they are going to good use. :)

thank you! yes! it was my stupid period. I am back onto 65.9 kilos today. I hit 65.2 the other week but whatever. I was 68.3kg when I started just over a month ago, so I guess losing weight slowly and consistently. I can't say I am bang on my calorie amount everyday, but like i said, I adjusted it.
    Yes I am very fit now - getting very good cardio results!
    I am recovering well from my heavy weights sessions.
    My muscles are standing out more, my waist is trimming and my arms look killer :)

thanks ladies I appreciate the positive comments!
  • katetelf
    you got your period, yet you're surprised you gained weight?

hahahhaha yeah good point :D
  • katetelf
    It is tricky with calculating TDEE as well.
    It is a bad idea to eat too low, but I also don't want to really up my calories and end up putting on weight - I have worked hard to lose some!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2017
    katetelf wrote: »
    It is tricky with calculating TDEE as well.
    It is a bad idea to eat too low, but I also don't want to really up my calories and end up putting on weight - I have worked hard to lose some!

Not really. If you have lost weight while tracking on MFP you can use your real life data to get your TDEE.

If you've been losing 1lb per week, you can add 500 cals, if you've been losing half a pound a week, add 250 cals...

Expect the scales to fluctuate as you get used to more food weight in your body and potentially mire carbs.