Tdee

Options
So if MFP have me at a tdee of 2,175 but my fit tracks that I have burned 2,400-2,800 ( depending on how active I am..... some days 16,000 steps, some 10,000 steps and some 7-8,000 steps) then averaging out over the week I burn about 2,400 a day. Should I think that the 2,400 is my tdee? Because MFP can only go on the information I give and where I think I sit activity wise. Whereas, the Fitbit tracks continuously.
I think I will eat at what MFP says so 2,175-500= 1,675 for 8 weeks and see what happens?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you're talking about your calorie goal from MFP, that's not your TDEE -- it's based on NEAT (non-exercise activity thermogenesis) Your Fitbit is estimating your TDEE, MFP's calorie goal is excluding the calories burnt from exercise (unless you're referring to the total after you log your exercise).

I have found my Fitbit to be a much more reliable estimate of my burns specifically because it is including all my activity and not just the activity MFP estimates for my (non-exercise) daily life.

But if your goal is to lose weight, you'll still need to eat at a deficit from your TDEE.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    So if MFP have me at a tdee of 2,175

Myfitnesspal doesn't estimate your TDEE so you are making false comparison.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    You're comparing apples to oranges. You have two tools telling you what you need to do then you're making a totally arbitrary guess about what you'll actually do. Set your goals in MFP, connect your FitBit to MFP and let it tell you how much to eat.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    As per my answer on your feed and I think your other thread. Use your own historical numbers, I think you have enough of them right? MFP (which is NEAT not TDEE) and your Fitbit and other calculators are all best guesses. They'll be spot on for some people and way off for others, your own data is the most accurate. Fitbits etc are great but don't get tied up in knots over thinking it.
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    As per my answer on your feed and I think your other thread. Use your own historical numbers, I think you have enough of them right? MFP (which is NEAT not TDEE) and your Fitbit and other calculators are all best guesses. They'll be spot on for some people and way off for others, your own data is the most accurate. Fitbits etc are great but don't get tied up in knots over thinking it.

Yeah, I’m just getting the two confused. My weight loss has stalled since 6 August this year. I think it’s why I’m trying to figure out what’s going on.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Yeah, I’m just getting the two confused. My weight loss has stalled since 6 August this year. I think it’s why I’m trying to figure out what’s going on.

whats your calorie goal that has you stalled?
  • thielke2015
    thielke2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options

whats your calorie goal that has you stalled?

Well I had been on 1,440 for the last 6 months approx .... started out on 1,650 a year ago and MFP was reducing it slightly as I was losing. and lost 35 pounds in 9 months. I’m thinking a reduction in my BMR now has me eating below it. And I only have 14 pounds left to lose so 1.5lb is probably too aggressive so yesterday I adjusted to 1lb weight loss per week so now eating just 1,675. My bmr is approx 1,557 now but when I started out a year ago