Social Media Addictions

Just_Mel_
Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
So I was halfway listening to Good Morning America while I was getting ready this morning and they were talking about how social media is becoming an addiction almost as bad as gambling. That people are literally addicted to the validation of likes and shares.

What do you think? Do you think this is a real thing? Do you ever feel the need to pull back and take a break from it all to regroup and re-center? How long could you go without MFP, IG, FB, Snapchat etc?

Replies

• HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    I cut out Facebook for this reason (among others). But here I am. Nose in this app now. It's definitely a problem.
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    No, I've never pulled back from social media because it was an addiction. Honestly I don't seek validation from people (strangers or not) online. Some people might like me, some probably don't. Oh well.
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Compliments and likes do feel good and I have to admit i like to see the amount of likes I get. But then I also have to step away from social media when i feel like i'm becoming too consumed and start to feel narcissistic.

I only have Facebook because keeping up with more than one social media is way too time consuming for me. And many times I feel like i want to delete my account on Facebook because i begin to think it is such a waste of mental time. AND then again i'm nosy I like to see what other people are doing LOL! So i can say i have a love/hate relationship.
  • amandaeve
    amandaeve Posts: 723 Member
    In my opinion, by definition one is addicted to something when 1) it harms their ability to function in daily life and 2) they try to stop and can't. People have lost their partners, jobs, rights to see their kids, etc. due to computer gaming addictions. Social media obsessed users that I've heard about meet half of the definition. People try to stop, and can't (myself included). People might miss out on life because of social media obsessions....but I haven't heard many reports on social media getting in the way of daily function (loosing jobs, families, etc.). I didn't hear the report, so maybe it's more of a problem than I'm aware of.

There are many resources to help people with serious online addiction, if anyone here needs help, such as this one: https://netaddictionrecovery.com/
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Dopamine seeking behavior. Not what I would call addicting, but very strongly ingrained habits that are reinforced.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    It's entertainment for me, and seeking entertainment is maybe an addiction (for me)
    If I wasn't on here or another for of social media I be watching tv/movies, online shopping, playing video games or reading. Actually my phone is an addiction for me and the internet...but it is not detrimental to me.

All entertainment!

One positive thing I can think of about an environment like mfp is that you are interacting with people and listening to different opinions, which is good for me because I tend to avoid people. I think it can be healthy. It engages your social skills.

As far as becoming preoccupied with likes and shares..that reminds me of the episode of dark mirror I just watched!
    That's something people need to let go of. It's probably just the online version of people seeking "acceptance" from a peer group, like having friends at school, but at the end of the day we're all alone and should become comfortable with that.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    xn4qwumwt2n8.png
  • Just_Mel_
    Just_Mel_ Posts: 3,992 Member
    So I was halfway listening to Good Morning America while I was getting ready this morning and they were talking about how social media is becoming an addiction almost as bad as gambling. That people are literally addicted to the validation of likes and shares.

What do you think? Do you think this is a real thing? Do you ever feel the need to pull back and take a break from it all to regroup and re-center? How long could you go without MFP, IG, FB, Snapchat etc?

Your post only has 1 like.

Good thing I don't live and die by internet validation.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Trade noodz for woos ?

Woo, Woo....... a thousand times Woo.