Heart Rate Monitor Watch?

Options
I am looking into getting a heart rate monitor and I saw a few watch-style monitor that do not have the chest strap. I was wondering what everyone's opinion of these is? Do they work as well or are they a waste of money?

Also, does anyone use pedometers for their walks/runs? And if so, are the cheap $10 ones sufficient?

Replies

• PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I reccomend a HRM with a chest strap. They give a constant reading and are pretty much spot on accurate.
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt recommend one without a chest strap..polars are good brands..a little pricey, but worth it..good luck
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I really like my chest strap and didn't really think I would. It's barely noticable. And mine sync with the ellipticals at my gym which is a bonus because I had no idea it would do that!
    I vote you get a chest strap...you can get a better idea of the calories your burning because it monitors your HR continuously
  • hottiewannabe
    hottiewannabe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I would not waste money on HRM with no chest strap. They are not accurate. I have used a pedometer (cheap kind from Walmart) and love it. They are very accurate.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Pedometer cheaps are fine... but HRM is a different story.
    Unless it has a chest strap, it will be an inaccurate/inconsistant as the "guestimates" here on MFP.

Here is info you can read and decide on your own. This is the article that convinced me my $50 cheapo no chest strap watch wasn't the answer and the calorie burned difference was shocking. They suggest Polar FT6 or higher and explain why.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

Edit: I ended up getting a Polar FT7 from amazon for about $75 and it matches the tests at the gym. If you're used to wearing a bra, you'll never even notice a chest strap -- and this model has a cloth/leather one that is very comfy. Oops I guess if your name is Jason you probably don't wear a bra.... you'll get used to it :) LOL
  • nlynnm716
    Options
    I was also searching online for a HRM today. I want one that shows calories burned, distance, and speed.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Don't even bother getting one without the strap. That will just give you a few random samples of your heart rate. You'd do just as well using the MFP or other online calculator estimates. If you're going to get one, get a decent one with a strap; otherwise save your money.
  • PJS323
    PJS323 Posts: 115
    Options
    I use a polar hrm, & I love it. Probably the best invesment I have made aside from my ipod. I love the abilty to raise my heart rate to boost my endurance. Plus it's a more accurate accounting of calories burned. As far a pedometer, I quit using mine because some are to sensitive. There is an app for cell phones called all sport gps that is around $6, and is worth every penny. Keeps track of miles, trips, biking, running. And if you enter your height & weight, it is really close to correct calories. It's only been off 10-20 calories total from my hrm. Good luck!!!
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar HRM. It's on of their lower models, and I love it. The chest strap is much more accurate. I don't use a pedometer for my walks because I don't feel its accurate, but others might have better luck with theirs, lol.
  • TNAJackson
    TNAJackson Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Agree with everyone else on the chest strap thing... also agree that the Polar brand is the best. Mine is the FT4 and I love it! Works perfectly and I barely even notice the chest strap. :bigsmile:
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I am looking into getting a heart rate monitor and I saw a few watch-style monitor that do not have the chest strap. I was wondering what everyone's opinion of these is? Do they work as well or are they a waste of money?

Also, does anyone use pedometers for their walks/runs? And if so, are the cheap $10 ones sufficient?

I like my Polar FT4 with a chest strap. I think they are more accuate than just a reg watch.

I had a pedometer....not accuate enough for me. I could never get it right with my stride and it was cheating me on burnt cals.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I bought a cheap HRM watch here in the UK. It cost about £13 from Amazon, it's ok, but now I'm getting into this fitness malarky, I really wish that I'd spent a bit more and got one with a chest strap. The watch ones work up to a point but there's no average calorie count, you have to stop what you're doing to measure your pulse with the sensor thingy.
    I am now looking to get a second hand polar monitor from eBay.
  • fat2fab4life
    fat2fab4life Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I sometimes wear my watch hrm that does not have a strap and I wear the one that does have the chest strap at the same time and they are both very accurate to each other, only thing is that sometimes i get frustrated having to manually check my heart rate on the watch but other than that it's the same as the other one or pretty darn close as far as my heart rate and caloire burns
  • pffssas
    pffssas Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    i just bought one WITHOUT A CHEST STRAP and i'm KICKING MYSELF!!! chest strap was only $10 more...wish i had been smart enough to ask b4 i wasted money twice! (this will be my third one in a week!!! smh!
  • Losing2Live69
    Losing2Live69 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I got a watch HRM once, a Mio, and it was useless. You had to actually press a button to start timing your heart rate and then press it again to stop the timing. You had to actually stop exercising to check your heart rate. I thought it would work good and be less cumbersome than one with a chest strap. I was so wrong! I returned it and got a refund and got a Polar FT4 off of Amazon. The chest strap is not uncomfortable at all. I even wear mine swimming! Don't waste your money on a watch style HRM. Get one with a chest strap. It will be one of the best investments you will make when it comes to your health.
  • mommachef
    Options
    I got the New Balance HRM from Costco. It has a watch and chest strap and was only $40. If you go to check it out, it's in the jewelry case. I like it so far. Still getting used to the settings and controls, but it does what I need it to do.

I don't really notice the chest strap at all.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    You def. need one with a chest strap. They are more accurate then the ones with out.

I'd personally go for a Polar.. They are the most highly recommended brand out there. If your just looking for the basics, the FT4 or FT7 should be just fine.

I'd steer clear of TImex and Sportline.. both are brands that tend to crap out pretty quick and give crazy calorie counts.