Is a 111 bpm heart rate too high? And are Apple Watched trustable?

Options
My sister bought the new Apple Watch, I tried it on, and it said my heart rate was 111. Is this unhealthy? It’s kind of scaring me considering that all of my other friends tried it on, and had way lower numbers. Should I be concerned? Could I like die or something? And is the Apple Watch a good way to count heart rate? Thanks.

Replies

• elizabethdzenitis
    elizabethdzenitis Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Also, I’m not an adult.. I’m only 18.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    You won't die from having a heart rate of 111, but if you are at rest (sitting down, not exercising, not upset about something) that is high enough to be concerned. If it's consistently that high you should see a doctor and make sure nothing's wrong. Also, it may be temporary - if you have an illness like a cold or something putting your body under stress, it can raise your heart rate.

Also, you can check your pulse yourself to make sure it's reading accurately. Count beats for fifteen seconds and multiply by four. You can find your pulse in your wrist in the groove next to your tendons, or under your jaw.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options

(I guess I’m considered an adult but like I mean I’m not like 30 or something.. whoops lol)
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    You won't die from having a heart rate of 111, but if you are at rest (sitting down, not exercising, not upset about something) that is high enough to be concerned. If it's consistently that high you should see a doctor and make sure nothing's wrong. Also, it may be temporary - if you have an illness like a cold or something putting your body under stress, it can raise your heart rate.

Also, you can check your pulse yourself to make sure it's reading accurately. Count beats for fifteen seconds and multiply by four. You can find your pulse in your wrist in the groove next to your tendons, or under your jaw.

I just tried it again sitting down and it’s like 110 oh lord
  • rheddmobile
    Options

You were standing the first time? That's not so bad - just standing and walking will raise it quite a bit. And now you're panicking and that's going to make it higher.

You're not going to fall over - just mention that you're concerned about it when you see a doctor.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options

You were standing the first time? That's not so bad - just standing and walking will raise it quite a bit. And now you're panicking and that's going to make it higher.

You're not going to fall over - just mention that you're concerned about it when you see a doctor.

The last time I went to the doctor the lady was like “oh your heart rate seems high” but didn’t really do anything else about it
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Since you are eighteen, try this test. Watch a video clip of your favourite boy band/hip hop artist with the Apple Watch on. Does your heart rate go up?
  • rheddmobile
    Options

The last time I went to the doctor the lady was like “oh your heart rate seems high” but didn’t really do anything else about it

That's probably because of something called "white coat syndrome" - many people, when they visit a doctor, are nervous and so their heart rate and blood pressure are higher than usual, so doctors don't worry about it unless it's consistent or very elevated.

What's your fitness like? Are you normal weight, and do you get much exercise? Regular activity and a higher fitness level will lower your resting heart rate over time.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Since you are eighteen, try this test. Watch a video clip of your favourite boy band/hip hop artist with the Apple Watch on. Does your heart rate go up?

With Enrique Iglesias that would probably happen lol
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »

With Enrique Iglesias that would probably happen lol

Really? Enrique?

Oh my god yes. & that voice.
  • Dannyboy313
    Dannyboy313 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If your an anxious person that could cause it, the main thing is not to stress about it and keep checking over and over you'll only keep it high because when you freak out your body releases adrenaline and that elevates your pulse even more, if your worried about it take it first thing in the morning when you are still in bed and only awake it will be a lot lower, there's a number of factors that could have it slightly high like low blood pressure dehydrated etc, it will be no where near 110 first thing in the morning, it's called a base line reading and it's the best thing to do if your worried, hope that helps
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options

That's probably because of something called "white coat syndrome" - many people, when they visit a doctor, are nervous and so their heart rate and blood pressure are higher than usual, so doctors don't worry about it unless it's consistent or very elevated.

What's your fitness like? Are you normal weight, and do you get much exercise? Regular activity and a higher fitness level will lower your resting heart rate over time.

I mean like every day I gotta run to my classes, up like 3 flights of stairs and stuff cause I’m almost always late. so I’m not totally unexercised, but it’s not like I go to a gym and workout for fun.lol.
  • Fflpnari
    Fflpnari Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    a true resting heartrate of 111 is considered tachycardic. Do you drink a lot of caffiene or eat/drink a lot of sugar? have you just eaten? A lot of factors influence heartrate.
  • rheddmobile
    Options
    If your an anxious person that could cause it, the main thing is not to stress about it and keep checking over and over you'll only keep it high because when you freak out your body releases adrenaline and that elevates your pulse even more, if your worried about it take it first thing in the morning when you are still in bed and only awake it will be a lot lower, there's a number of factors that could have it slightly high like low blood pressure dehydrated etc, it will be no where near 110 first thing in the morning, it's called a base line reading and it's the best thing to do if your worried, hope that helps

Definitely listen to this guy - take a true resting reading before you panic.

Since it sounds like your heart rate may have been higher than normal the last time you saw the doctor, if it's elevated when you really are at rest, a check up for this might be a good plan. There are lots of possible reasons for it, some are serious and some, like too much caffeine, are not, but your doctor can help you figure it out.
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Well ... were you sitting around for a while when you measured, or were you walking/or otherwise moving around? That would make a difference cause your heart rate goes up with action. .... and, like the post above mine asked ... what about cafeine? I once put myself into tachycardia from drinking too many Tim Horton's coffees within about 6 hours time.
  • elizabethdzenitis
    Options
    Nikion901 wrote: »
    Well ... were you sitting around for a while when you measured, or were you walking/or otherwise moving around? That would make a difference cause your heart rate goes up with action. .... and, like the post above mine asked ... what about cafeine? I once put myself into tachycardia from drinking too many Tim Horton's coffees within about 6 hours time.

Nah I hate coffee but I’ll have the occasional Chai Tea Latte once in a blue moon
  • bee_bee8
    bee_bee8 Posts: 96 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    If you're concerned, consider getting your own apple watch or heart rate monitor. I know they're not cheap but it's really hard to get a good sense of your resting heart rate if you only check it intermittently. Personally, my heart rate always increases when I know it's being measured. Even slight anxiety can put a healthy person's HR above 100.

To share some anecdotal information, my resting heart rate was generally around 81 bpm when I was overweight and inactive. Now that I'm a healthier weight and fairly active (workout 5x/week, walk daily), it averages around 70 bpm. That's when I first wake up, before I have coffee, or when I've been still for some time.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Wow that is pretty high. Have you always had a high HR when you go to the doctors? I have apple watch and my resting is usually in the low 50s.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options

Being 18 means you are an adult with all the responsibilities that come with it. As for your heart rate. If that is your resting heart rate (taken after sitting still for a while) then it is too high and you should talk to a doctor about it. But if that is you were walking around before you took it then it is probably normal.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Have you taken your pulse manually? I mean it's not like the AW is the only way to know...