portion control for kids?

Options
mckant
mckant Posts: 217 Member
How/when is it appropriate to begin portioning your child's meals? My kids are 4 and 9 and I feel like now is a good time to really start teaching them about portion sizes but I don't want to tell them they can't eat more of something. I want them to understand healthy portion control but I don't want to starve them either :wink:

Replies

• atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. Right now all I can do is keep reminding my 3 yr old that, if you are full, you don't need to keep eating and go play. Especially when I can see him slowing down. Often enough, he'll just stop and tell me: I'm full, and walk away.
  • dvusk
    dvusk Posts: 21
    Options
    I'm not an expert at all, but with kids, I'd say teaching them when it's good to stop eating is better than portion control. I'd suggest not asking if they're full, but if they're satisfied. If they're satisfied, they're done eating.

Just my two cents.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think I'd wait until it looked like it might become an issue. Some days my nearly 4 year old eats so much, some so little, and he always stops when he wants.

I have had to explain how addictive sugar is though. If my son has a little chocolate and then goes into a 'more, more, more' frenzy I explain that that's what chocolate does and if he waits a little then he won't want it any more. It's worked so far.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    my boys are 5 and 8, and with them, they don't eat when they're bored, and they only eat until they're full at meals. during the day they often ask for snacks, I give them healthy options. I started them young on fresh fruits and veggies, I think you don't need to bring it up unless you know your child is eating too much and eating just to eat. They are growing, and burning so much energy at this age!!
  • kristyoconnor
    kristyoconnor Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    My kids are almost 6 and 3. I will tell them that they can have as much of the fruits and veggies as they want, but I will limit the meat (especially if it's chicken nuggets or hot dogs or something like that) and starches to one serving. I tell them that if they're still hungry they need food that will help them grow, like fruits and veggies.
  • BGabbart
    BGabbart Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just remember kids have growing spurts and during those times they really need more healthy foods. so when they say they are hungry and they seem to be eating more of things watch and see what that is. It seem everytime my kids went through this they ate a lot of peanut butter sandwhiches. They were wanting protein.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    That's a tough one. Right now all I can do is keep reminding my 3 yr old that, if you are full, you don't need to keep eating and go play. Especially when I can see him slowing down. Often enough, he'll just stop and tell me: I'm full, and walk away.

This. Or maybe "not hungry" is a better term to use than "full".
  • Soulbird81
    Options
    My boys are 15 and 11...very athletic and fit. They can eat whatever and not gain a thing because of their activity level. My daughter is 9 and she is another story as she takes after me. I noticed the weight on her coming fast and furious but I did not want her feeling insecure or obsessing about it, I felt that she was too young and when she hit puberty it would vanish...I had not been overweight as a child, I didn't become overweight until 19 years old. When her physician started to tell me it was becoming something to watch I took action. I got her active and changed both of our diets; getting rid of fast food and processed garbage in favor of more fruits and veggies. To get her to try new things we sit down and go through cookbooks and magazines, shop together, and cook together. Kids learn by example...if you eat healthy what other choice do they have but to eat healthy also? I no longer use large plates for any of my family, only salad plates. I also no longer am a member of clean your plate club, we eat meals together and eat slowly. This gives us time to allow our bodies to alert when we're satisfied verses inhaling the food.

Teaching them good habits doesn't have to wait until there is a problem....there are plenty of "skinny" kids who are unhealthy because they eat garbage or eat too much.
  • MrsJax11
    MrsJax11 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Soulbird makes an excellent point that children learn by example.

My first teaching job was in Pre - k, and at the time the State of Delaware was trying to work on the childhood obesity epidemic in the state. There was a state wide initiative to get the kids fit and active, and eating balanced foods in the proper portions. Anyway, to get to the point...in my classroom we ate breakfast, lunch, and two snacks family style every day. We used measuring cups and taught the kids to serve themselves one scoop of each thing of the table and also taught them about measuring, numbers, etc...we would talk about the colors on the plate, the textures, and how there was always a lot of veggies...
    We use measuring cups at my house now, too. I would never tell them they couldn't eat more if they were still hungry...but they need to have one serving of everything first, and if they were still hungry a quarter or half serving of the favorite item.
    Focus on nutrition and not weight loss, and make it fun:)
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I think that kids get their eating habits from their parents, they are smart and if they see you eating sensible in the long run it will rub off on them
  • Hirundo
    Hirundo Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    my kids are 2 and 5 ...
    I do put a part of of the reponsability for my bad habits concerning nutrition on my parents ....

So i'm starting already... My kids are healthy and beautifull, in no ways i want to restrict their calories intake, what i want is offer them good quality of calories ;_
    I made few rules ....
    All snacks are healthy options (fruits. veggies, yoghurt, cheese, dry cereals, etc...)
    All sweets and little treats are in strict portions, when they had it they are refered to the healthy snacks ...
    At meals, I serve them small portion, they are never forced to finish their plate, they can have a bit more if they want to but when they are very hungry i tend to offer them fruits or raw veggies instead of a third portions ...
    Desserts are varying a lot, but i try to keep an interesting nutrition values even in the sweet ones...
    I never buy Soda and i never deep fry at home .. Such things a kept for special days at restaurant...

Of course all rules have their exceptions, such birthdays and special occasions ...

In the mean time i work hard to change my own habits and try to be their best example...