exercise noob - don't laugh

Options
Hey all, quick question...

Does lifting free weights burn calories? I noticed that when you enter strength training into the exercise calculator it doesn't say calories burned. Does that mean its only strengthening muscles? I know that it will in turn help to burn calories eventually, but does the action itself help weight loss?

Replies

• Perz27
    Perz27 Posts: 3
    Options
    it does burns calories, I always wonder why they don't calculate.
  • NWfluffy
    NWfluffy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Yes, it does burn calories. Look under "strength training" in cardio. And more importantly it helps build that all important muscle for continuing to burn calories, so make sure to include some in your workouts.
  • joanneeee
    joanneeee Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    moving burns calories.
  • JoseMedina21
    JoseMedina21 Posts: 186 Member
    Options

its hard to predict weight lifting calories burned on the website because you have a lot of different factors like weight, reps, sets and how fast/slow you are doing them
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    Yes, I enter my resistance days of P90X into my cardio exercises in order to keep track of calories.

To accurately measure, I highly suggest a HRM. I usually burn between 375-450 per hour+ (intense) session.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

They don't try to calculate the calories burned because it is way more complicated than just taking your weight and time. It depends on what exercises you do, how heavy the weights are that you use you use and how many reps of each exercise.
  • Suckapuncha
    Options
    Yes, free weights burn calories. They also build muscle, and the more muscle you have, the longer you burn calories after you quit working out. People disagree on the exact amount of calories burned per pound of muscle versus pound of fat. But it can be anywhere between 6 and 30 calories burned per day per pound of muscle. Also, muscle improves bone density and helps prevent the loss of muscle mass that occurs with aging, so you can stay active longer. But free weight training will help you in other areas that burn calories that are not in the scientific journals.

The act of lifting burns calories, although not as much as cardio in one sitting. BUT, you continue to burn more calories after you lift because your metabolism runs at a higher rate longer to repair your muscles. So if you get your body in good condition and lift regularly, you can burn extra calories after your free weight work outs if you do high intensity lifts.

Also, conditioning your body makes you feel better and, although not everyone agrees, look better. When you get your body conditioned to a point where you feel good and look great, it will be extremely motivational in driving you to stay active, and possibly show off what you worked so hard for. Everyone I know that started lifting and eventually got to the point they wanted never had to force themselves to work out anymore. They were always going to the lake, playing volleyball, playing sports or whatever. once you feel good about your health and your body, you will want to be more active, which will also mean you are going to continue to burn more calories. People underestimate the psychological effects of being in shape, but it is huge.

And remember, diet is key to any fitness program. My buddy and I always say "Abs are made in the kitchen.". You can do as many crunches and squats as you want, but if you eat crap, you will have a gut. Pick a goal, start small, and stick with it. When you hit it, make a harder goal, and crush that one too.