Success with CICO

Options
Have you had success with CICO (Calories in, calories out) approach? Has it also helped you eat a balanced diet of what you enjoy- with no food off limits as long as it fits in your calories?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Yes, h.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I don't do well being told what to eat.

I do too well with that! I can switch off my brain and just do what I'm told without thinking about why it works (or doesn't).
    It took about 18 months since I came off my last organised "plan" to figure out what actually works for me and get to where I am now :/
    BUT I finally feel like I have control over my own body. Should've just done MFP a loooong time ago.
  • SnazzIT
    SnazzIT Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    What this site is all about :)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Have you had success with CICO (Calories in, calories out) approach? Has it also helped you eat a balanced diet of what you enjoy- with no food off limits as long as it fits in your calories?

If you mean calorie counting...yes. CICO is always in play regardless of what program or diet you follow.

My diet improved quite a bit when I started calorie counting...but yes, I still ate/eat some "junk" here and there...it's just not a lot.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    There is something called Flexible Dieting. It is something that I really like and something that I do indeed follow. Now, everyone here knows that I am a creature of habit and that I eat the same things, day in and day out. But, I eat those things because I truly enjoy eating those specific things.

I am not opposed to eating something "crazy" - as long as it fits my nutritional budget. Both, calorically speaking and macroly speaking (yes, just made up two more words....).

For example, the company for which I work will occasionally buy us here in the Winston-Salem, NC Office lunch. Depends on what the others are getting (read: from what restaurant they are ordering). If there is something from the restaurant where my colleague is ordering that I enjoy then I will order, too. If he, however, is ordering from a restaurant where I do not really enjoy eating anything then I pass and eat my stuff. The times that I do order....it is usually around 1,500 Calories so I just adjust that day and/or adjust other days (since I focus on the weekly numbers...as I have stated several times). That keeps my weekly numbers (Calories and Macros) in line with my goals.
  • Daveacpa2
    Daveacpa2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    I'm going to to against the grain here and say that while counting calories is good, you might want to get those calories from leafy vegetables, protein and keep off sugar and sugar substitutes as much as possible. Sugar is converted to fat pretty quickly, whereas leafy vegetables and protein has to get processed gently so all the vitamins are absorbed.

Doesn’t matter.

Does anyone know scientifically if it matters or not, there are a lot of opposing views on this site.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Absolutely. It's the ONLY thing that has worked for me and kept working, consistently.
  • ccruz985
    ccruz985 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    I'm going to to against the grain here and say that while counting calories is good, you might want to get those calories from leafy vegetables, protein and keep off sugar and sugar substitutes as much as possible. Sugar is converted to fat pretty quickly, whereas leafy vegetables and protein has to get processed gently so all the vitamins are absorbed.

I think this is the greatest part of CICO tbh. You tend to learn what's healthier and start to look for it because if you play your cards right you can eat well, be full, and still have a slice of cake every day (if that's your thing).
  • IremiaRe
    IremiaRe Posts: 801 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    CICO is all there is... and as you lose weight, and your calorie allotment gets smaller, you learn what is really important to you... you figure out what you are willing to eat less of, so that you can have more of the other thing... you learn NOT to eat anything that isn't really great - cause you just don't have the calories to waste on mediocre, anymore.

It takes time, but, eventually you get it figured out. MFP is greatness for that.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Actually it isn't.
    Carbs are rarely stored as fat as your body follows the most efficient pathways and preferentially uses carbs for energy and will sore fat - but of course there's only net storage in a surplus.

Sugar can be used for energy very quickly though - it's why sports nutrition is primarily glucose based.

Sugar substitutes are also a great way for people with a sweet tooth to reduce their calorie intake.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

My diet didn't need fixing, I just needed to reduce the amount for a while.
    Ate the same foods when I got fat, when I maintained at a fat weight, when I was losing weight, when I've been maintaining at the correct weight.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!