How do I...

Options
How can I get a small waist and skinny arms while losing weight? I gain my fat in my upper body and my goal is to lose weight and look thicker from my bottom than my upper body but I don’t know how to train in the gym with the weights. Any tips? I want to shape my body how I want but I have a lot of upper fat.

Replies

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,222 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    The only thing that controls where you lose fat is your genetics. Absolutely no way to spot reduce. Sorry.

Edit to add: No non surgical way that is...
  • LKjourney
    LKjourney Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have the opposite problem. Fatty lower body especially the inner thigh and lower stomach area. How much weight does one have to lose for those areas to start losing fat?! Ugh! Anyways, The only thing I can think of to help you is lifting weights.. There are a lot of videos on growing and lifting your bum which in turn sculpts the leg. The muscle is going to look amazing on you since you have slim legs already! I have no idea what to do about the fat though :( hit me up if you learn anything new!!
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Jarettzy18 wrote: »
    How can I get a small waist and skinny arms while losing weight? I gain my fat in my upper body and my goal is to lose weight and look thicker from my bottom than my upper body but I don’t know how to train in the gym with the weights. Any tips? I want to shape my body how I want but I have a lot of upper fat.

doesn't work that way...if everyone could pick and choose which parts they wanted to look a certain way wouldn't everyone be doing it??
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    If you want to learn how to exercise with weights, you can watch YouTube videos or have a manager at your local gym show you how. You can hire a personal trainer there, too. However, targeting exercise to get a small waist or skinny arms won't work. The realistic goal is to lose weight and your waist and arm circumferences will get smaller. And if you're lifting weights, your arms will look better with some lean muscle mass in them. Everything looks better if it jiggles less! Don't ignore the lower body, obtaining some muscle in your butt and thighs wouldn't hurt. You can't "spot reduce", but getting some muscle in my butt and thighs made my waist look a little smaller by comparison to me.

• JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Well there’s skinny girls who weight train and legitimately look way different. More thick.

doesn't work that way...if everyone could pick and choose which parts they wanted to look a certain way wouldn't everyone be doing it??

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Most of it will come from genetics. While training can play a part, while you lose it is more difficult to "shape" your body since what is there, is there and fat comes off where it comes off. You can work certain areas to preserve muscle there, but it won't cause more or specific fat loss to those areas, unfortunately.

My advice. Start strength training while you lose (follow an established program that interests you) then once you get at or closer to goal, you can see what you are working with and start to think about building muscle (if necessary). So if you aren't satisfied with the size of your legs at that point, you could build them up by eating at maintenance or above.
  • sardelsa
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Well there’s skinny girls who weight train and legitimately look way different. More thick.

This is a result of genetics and/or many years of training and building.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I mean I gain weight mostly to my upper body but just like I gain it I can lose it and basically the fat has to come off I mean if I’m playing to lose 50 lbs obviously I’ll lose the fat. What I’m saying is onde I lose all the fat I can or basically while I’m losing it how Can I maintain my muscle from my glutes? I don’t want to lose 50 lbs and be left off really skinny(skinny fat)
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Most of it will come from genetics. While training can play a part, while you lose it is more difficult to "shape" your body since what is there, is there and fat comes off where it comes off. You can work certain areas to preserve muscle there, but it won't cause more or specific fat loss to those areas, unfortunately.

My advice. Start strength training while you lose (follow an established program that interests you) then once you get at or closer to goal, you can see what you are working with and start to think about building muscle (if necessary). So if you aren't satisfied with the size of your legs at that point, you could build them up by eating at maintenance or above.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    I mean I gain weight mostly to my upper body but just like I gain it I can lose it and basically the fat has to come off I mean if I’m playing to lose 50 lbs obviously I’ll lose the fat. What I’m saying is onde I lose all the fat I can or basically while I’m losing it how Can I maintain my muscle from my glutes? I don’t want to lose 50 lbs and be left off really skinny(skinny fat)

Strength train, as already said.
  • sardelsa
    Options

Strength training while you lose... Start now. Look into a program like Strong Curves which is focused on the glutes