Struggling

Options
Hello friends,

I am new to this site and hoping that someone out there can relate to my conditions or maybe even has some advice. I am now 30 yrs. old and weigh more now than I ever had, even more so now than when I was pregnant with twins. I am attempting to improve my health and esteem by eating healthy and once I drop a few, I want to start low impact exercises. I have multiple health conditions Celiac, Food Allergies, Fibromyalgia, Thyroid Disease, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Asthma and Arthritis to name just a few. Problem is that I can’t eat wheat, corn and some vegetables and fruits due to serious allergies. Also, my husband is a full time student and while I work full time, I am going to school part time. Putting our 11 yr. old twins first, hectic schedules and my health issues, we are definitely on a budget so it is difficult to purchase high end health foods that doctors recommend. Is there anyone out there that has recipes for inexpensive gluten free, corn free, low carb recipes? My meds make me hungry ALL the time and I know it is my duty to control that but I would like to make at least 2 meals a day that cater to my needs as well as my family’s. Any suggestions on what to do? I guess I have run out of ideas so yours will definitely be appreciated.

Replies

• tamarab3
    tamarab3 Posts: 64
    Options
    I recently found that the Jenno-O brand of polish sausages are gluten free. Not expensive and very quick to fix.
  • amber2506
    amber2506 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    spaghettic squash is great alternative to pasta and is gluten free, corn free, and low in carbs. You simply buy it at the grocery store or farmers market they are usually pretty inexpensive. It can be done quickly in the mircrowave by cutting it in half removing the seeds and putting it in a microwavable dish filled with about an inch of water (fleshy side down) ( I've done one half at a time) then cover with plastic wrap with some room to breath and cook on high for 7-10 minutes. When it comes out you can scrape out the insides with a fork and it should look like spaghetti. Can be used anyone normal pasta is with red sauce, butter and seasoning, alfredo, whatever.
    It can also be done in the oven the same way as above with or without the water. No plastic wrap. On 425 for about 45 minutes.
    Enjoy! Its delicious and healthy!
  • Morgue_Guinn
    Options
    Awesome! Super creative and healthy! Music to my ears...Thank you!
  • cillytilly
    cillytilly Posts: 243
    Options
    With this one you can make adjustments to the right oils and get a gluten free soy sauce I don't know if Srarchi is gluten free but you can definately try. I don't know if you are able to eat cabbage but this is something that I do a lot of lately with some steamed brown rice and unflavored chicken breasts.

So here is my recipe. It makes 8 servings about 135 calories for over a cup serving but you can half or even quarter the recipe. I use vegetable instead of olive oil in this one for its higher heating point. I use a food processor to shred my cabbage also.

4 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons fresh ginger
    1 cup diced onion
    8 cups green cabbage
    8 cups purple cabbage
    2 teaspoons srirachi (if u want it milder use less)
    4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce

In a deep sautee pan or wok heat oil on medium to mediumnhigh heat.

Add ginger and onion to oil heating until onions start to become translucent. Add srirachi and stir around intil evenly sspread.

Add gcabbabe and sautee until limp can take 10 mins or 15. Add soy sauce heat until cooked to your desired cooked cabbage texture.
  • Morgue_Guinn
    Options
    I cant believe you guys! This is fantastic! Thanks :)
  • theba2il
    theba2il Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I make sandwiches with GF frozen waffles. Very good!!
  • cillytilly
    Options
    I don't know if you can have white wine but you could probably do a broth of some sort would change the flavor but would be tasty. Just get a cheap white fish.
    White fish in tomato wine sauce
    Ingrediants:
    1.25 lbs of white fish ( you can use code, tilapia, orange roughy etc you want a mild white fish)
    1 (14 oz) can of diced tomatoes
    ¾ cup diced green onions
    2 (16 g) cans of sliced black olives
    1 small to medium zucchini
    1 small to medium yellow summer squash
    1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    1 pinch of thyme
    ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
    1 pinch of rosemary
    2 tablespoons fresh basil
    1 cup white wine

Directions:
    1. Heat olive oil in medium skillet over medium heat and stir in chopped green onions. Cook until tender 3-8 mins
    2. Mix white wine, tomatoes, olives, zucchini and summer squash in bring to a boil.
    3. Stir in basil, thyme, rosemary and black pepper. Place fish on top of mixture.
    4. Simmer for 15-20 minutes until fish flakes. If you need to flip fish.

Servings 4 calories 264

Cooks Note: I sprinkled mine with feta cheese. This is a wonderful fresh spring dinner. You can add rice to it also for a full dinner. This goes well with a dinner salad too.
  • Morgue_Guinn
    Options
    yummy treat :)
  • cillytilly
    Options
    Dijon Tarragon Vinnegrette
    1 lemon juiced usually 1/8 to ¼ cup of juice
    4-5 cloves of garlic
    3 tsp extra virgin olive oil
    ¾ cup water
    ¼ teaspoon of pepper
    1 teaspooon of tarragon dried
    3 teaspoons of Dijon mustard

Directions:
    1. Juice lemon and place in container.
    2. Add crushed garlic, olive oil, water, pepper, tarragon, and mustard. Wisk together cover and place in fridge to allow flavors to combine.
    3. Mix well before serving

Servings 8 2 tablespoon servings Calories 24

Cooks Note: This goes well for most salads but particularly well with bbq steak, gorgonzola cheese and avocado.

This is a home made dressing I make. though I don't know if mustard is gluten free.
  • Morgue_Guinn
    Options
    Thank you!!! Thank you!!! Thank you!!!
  • cillytilly
    Options
    Garbanzo Bean Tuna Salad

1 can of garbanzo beans (rinsed)
    1 can of light tuna in water drained
    ½ cup green onions chopped
    1 cup celery chopped
    1 medium-large avocado diced
    8 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
    10 sugar snap peas diced
    1 cup of radish slices
    1 cup of carrots chopped
    ¼ teaspoon wasabi powder

Directions:

1. Combine vegetables with tuna and beans.
    2. Mix Vinegar and wasabi powder in separate bowl
    3. Drizzle over tuna mixture and mix well

Servings 3 at 301 calories

Cooks Note: This is a great summer treat. You can leave the wasabi out if you are sensitive to the spice but it does add a lot of flavor.

I am just going to load you up on some of my favorite recipes. This one you can leave whatever you want out and add whatever you want.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Woo-wee! That is a tall order of challenges to overcome. Well, you're here now my dear and I'm sure there are people who can relate to some bits of what you're going through. I wouldn't even be able to start, but I do know of some good reading material that might give you a bit of a leg up:

There's a magazine called 'living without' for people with allergies. I've found some very useful recipes in there for my own dairy allergies. Better yet: look online (i.e. google) for recipes that seem to fit your lifestyle, restrictions, and schedule. Nothing's better than a free recipe!

You may even want to look into the book 'The pH Miracle' which I've found very informative regarding a style of eating that alleviates physical ailments.

Fruits and vegetables are actually not expensive compared to pre-packaged goods. Imagine how much you're saving compared to the average American just by not buying bread or milk? Avoid gimmicky things and go for the stuff that's been grown and killed, prepare it in bulk at the start of the week, and you should find that your budget isn't over-extended (I know this because I live on $10 a week for food in college).

Hope some of this helped! I wish you the best. You're welcome to friend me if you'd like some support.
  • cillytilly
    Options
    I use Pacific Natural food broths which are gluten free.

Morrocan Chickpea Lentil Soup

Ingredients
    2 tablespoons butter
    1 medium onion
    2 large stalks celery
    ½ teaspoon ground ginger
    ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon of black pepper
    1 cup dried brown lentils
    4 cups low sodium broth (chicken or vegetable)
    3 cups water
    1 (15 oz)can of crushed tomatoes
    1 (15oz) can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
    1/3 cup cilantro (fresh)

Directions:
    1. In a large pot, melt butter over medium low heat. Add the onion and celery cook, stirring occasionally until vegetables start to soften approximately 10 minutes. Stir in ginger, turmeric, cinnamon, salt, pepper and lentils.
    2. Add the water, broth, and tomatoes to pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered, stiring occationally until lentils are tender approximately 25 to 30 minutes.
    3. Add chickpeas and simmer for 5 minutes.
    4. Add Cilantro stir and serve.
    Serves 4 at about 256 calories

Cook’s note: The recipe had additional options. One of the things I thought was good was to add an extra protein to make it hardier. They suggest leftover lamb but as I don’t usually have that laying around chicken would work with the flavors. Another thing that I know I will do is add shredded cabbage to the recipe. The recommended amount is 2 cups. The other thing that they suggested is substituting saffron for turmeric. Another substitution you can do is olive oil for the butter. One thing I really liked about this recipe was that it was very fresh and great for the warming up of spring. It is not a heavy soup at all.
  • cillytilly
    Options
    http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/

This is a really good blog with lots of good ideas.