Plan of action for weakness

Options
Hi,

I have been extremely overweight and completely sedentary for the last year and a half. These days things like taking a shower, putting on boots, getting groceries, etc completely wears me out.
My solution? Eat to dull the shame.

Can someone give me some specific things that I can do at home to improve my strength/stamina besides just walking?

Also, please add me.

Thanks,

Tosha

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    Buy some resistance bands with workout DVD to go with them.(?) Maybe find a workout video you like?

Honestly, just start. All I did was walking. Then I started walking longer and up and down some big hills. It's enough to break some of those bad habits.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a bit of depression, too. Have you worked on healthy, well rounded meals? Are you taking a multivitamin? How's your sleep? Do you have problematic relationships that need to be fixed?
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Just get off the couch and start moving more. You don't have to go outside and walk to lose weight and build stamina. Stretch for a few minutes then put on some music and start dancing. Get a pair of light dumbbells (or water bottles) and do a little dumbbell workout while watching TV. The more you get moving the lighter you will feel and those daily things won't wear you out anymore.

I'll send you a friend request. Good luck to you!
  • craziedazie
    craziedazie Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing rhedd.
    That was so helpful. You have given me some direction.
  • craziedazie
    Options
    Buy some resistance bands with workout DVD to go with them.(?) Maybe find a workout video you like?

Honestly, just start. All I did was walking. Then I started walking longer and up and down some big hills. It's enough to break some of those bad habits.

It sounds to me like you are experiencing a bit of depression, too. Have you worked on healthy, well rounded meals? Are you taking a multivitamin? How's your sleep? Do you have problematic relationships that need to be fixed?

Yes, I have trouble with depression. Those are good suggestions thanks.
  • ChasDomenici
    ChasDomenici Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Same here!!!! I retired from the military a couple of years ago and decided to be a stay at home wife/Mom. I have gained 40 pounds since retirement!! Yikes!!!! Well i have finally decided that enough’s enough. What’s been helping me for the last month is counting my steps and doing some calisthenics while watching tv...nothing huge....walking in place, knee raises, punches, jabs, using light weights for my arms, kicks etc....basically just moving while watching my soap opera (so cliche I know lol) and I’m realllllllllly trying to count all calories lol! Good luck! Keep us posted
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I think logging everything that you eat or drink is a really good place to start. I carry a piece of paper around to write everything down, then log it when I can sit at the computer for awhile. People can lose weight without exercise, and a few pounds lost may make your daily activities like carrying in the groceries less exhausting. Here's a method I use to keep myself more active: When I do daily chores, I waste steps. If I find something in the dining room that belongs in the upstairs bedroom, for example, I take it up there. Then if I find something else, I take it up there. To be quick and efficient, of course, I'd make a pile and then take everything up at once, which you can do if you're tired. Maybe you're at a place where you could just make a goal to keep your home cleaner and do more chores as efficiently as you can. I feel that I need to be active more than I need to be efficient so I keep making separate trips around the house as I do the "pick up and put away" chore.
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posts. I was over 500 lbs 2 years ago. It was a task just to roll out of bed. I started with walk videos at home. You can go at your own pace and you do not have to worry about being judged by others. The exercise also helped and helps me with depression. I use that time to clear my mind and I feel so much better knowing that I am doing something positive for myself. You can do it. Get a plan that works for you and stick to it.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I set myself to sedentary, which I am some of time, and then add a few exercise calories here and there for doing things around the house like housework or childcare when I take care of my young grandchildren. That way I get an extra 100-200 calories to either eat or add to my deficit. Then a few times a week I make myself do some light to moderate exercise such as walking workouts, aerobic workouts, yoga, Pilates, or light weight workouts using DVD's or You Tube. I like the variety You Tube gives me. Start with easy beginner exercises so that you don't burn out.
  • dwilliamca
    dwilliamca Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    By the way. Grocery shopping is a great way to get started burning calories. Here is a link to the amount of calories burned per household activity. The numbers are probably high, so don't over estimate, but feel good when you do something you normally didn't do before.
    http://calorielab.com/burned/?mo=se&gr=05&ti=home+activities&q=&wt=150&un=lb&kg=68
  • AudreyJDuke
    AudreyJDuke Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions, I needed this info too! It helps to just post here for support. Thanks
  • craziedazie
    Options
    sgtx81 wrote: »
    Lay down on the floor and then get back up. Do it 4x a day, then every two days add one more. On day 10 as you are getting up go into the plank position for 3 to 5 seconds 1 time. Every day add one additional 3 to 5 second plank until you are doing it every time. After a little while start adding 2 to 4 seconds to your planks until you work your way up to a minute.

Gradually start adding in other exercises like crunches, push ups (starting on the wall), etc. Stick to it every day and after about a month you will be amazed at how much more you're able to do. After a month start parking your car further away from the door when you go shopping. Maybe just 3 or 4 spaces to get in a little extra walking.

Take one trip around the perimeter of the grocery store when you get inside before you start your shopping. If you don't have a lot to get carry a basket instead of pushing a cart. When you get home and take your groceries inside start taking things inside with additional trips. If you have two bags, make a trip for each bag. A lot of baby steps can get you to the point where you can start working out in no time and you wont get burned out on the way.

Thank you, this is very helpful