I ran a mile today! First since high school. Lol

Options
I love working out. I hate running. Lol - even in high school when I was relatively thin, I couldn't run. In fact, I quit volleyball my senior year (I was really good!) because the new coach required starters to run a mile in under 10 minutes and I couldn't. Or at least wouldn't!

But this 40 year old lady was forced into some running today at a class at the gym and managed an 11-ish minute mile. I was the only female in the group so I was quite a bit behind but screw it, I finished!!

Replies

• 13bbird13
    13bbird13 Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I was a crap athlete in high school and used to throw up after the 600-yard-dash in gym class... will never forget my first 5K when I did pretty close to an 11-minute mile at 48 years of age. And I ate right afterwards!
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    CONGRATS!! I remember that feeling, but I'd never run a mile even in high school. Great accomplishment!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    i did that once too, a few years ago . . . and i remember how absolutely incredible it seemed. congratulations!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations1 Running for one mile is a big achievement. Well done!
  • LaurenFOB2301
    LaurenFOB2301 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I recently picked running back up too (on Sept. 4) and have never felt better. I'm now running 3-4 miles every day (with one rest day per week, two at most, depending on how I feel.)

That first mile is always the toughest. The rest will come easier. Happy running! :)
  • blanchettejp4
    blanchettejp4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    That is awesome keep it up you will improve
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    Congrats!

I'm 67and have always hated running too. Had to do it in jr high and high school for PE. Also had to run a sub-10 min mile in the police academy when I was 45. I did it but that was the last time I ran for anything. Would only run again to save a life -- mine or someone else's.

However, I use to be an avid hiker & backpacker. I just started hiking again and have been doing 3-7 mile loops w/about 1k feet of elevation change and have no problem doing that. Just don't ask me to run it. LOL!

Keep up the good work and doing what challenges & motivates you. Achieving fitness doesn't have to be drudgery and we should have as much fun doing it as we can, so that we continue doing it for as long as we can.

• Lizzinc
    Lizzinc Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Awesome job!! I've been doing this 6 week boot camp through a local gym and been doing quite a bit of jogging on my off days to try to improve my time. My best mile so far is 14:36 and that kicked my backside! Good on you for busting out an 11min mile! I'm trying to get there but so far the farthest I can go without walking a bit is a quarter mile.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    And ... now I ran 2 miles today on the treadmill! (was pouring outside). I had my pace pretty slow at 5.5 mph but I didn’t have to stop. Didn’t have any problems with cardio or stamina but I found that my left calf got super tight and my hips hurt a little on the outside. I walk a little funny (right foot turns out quite a bit) so I am sure that translates to less-than-ideal running form but I am gonna work on it!

In the span of 2 weeks I went from “I hate running” to thinking “Hmm ... maybe I should sign up for a 5k on Thanksgiving.” Lol

Followed by "I can't walk without pain" the day after.

Too much too soon will lead to injury. Your lungs and heart will adapt much quicker than your legs. And it may not be obvious you are doing damage until it is too late.

Get on a beginners plan and increase your distance slowly.

Good luck.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    edited October 2017
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    And ... now I ran 2 miles today on the treadmill! (was pouring outside). I had my pace pretty slow at 5.5 mph but I didn’t have to stop. Didn’t have any problems with cardio or stamina but I found that my left calf got super tight and my hips hurt a little on the outside. I walk a little funny (right foot turns out quite a bit) so I am sure that translates to less-than-ideal running form but I am gonna work on it!

In the span of 2 weeks I went from “I hate running” to thinking “Hmm ... maybe I should sign up for a 5k on Thanksgiving.” Lol

Too much too soon will lead to injury. Your lungs and heart will adapt much quicker than your legs. And it may not be obvious you are doing damage until it is too late.

Good luck.

I can totally see that, especially since I “walk funny” so running just amplifies that. Not really gonna push it ... but I am surprised how “not terrible” running that far was!
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options

Good luck.

I can totally see that, especially since I “walk funny” so running just amplifies that. Not really gonna push it ... but I am surprised how “not terrible” running that far was!

Caution. It becomes addictive. Welcome to the club. B)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Good luck.

Get proper shoes. Go to a running store and have someone do a gait analysis and recommend shoes. Then try the C25K. Takes 8-9 weeks so you won't make it by thanksgiving, but you could still run/walk it if you like.

But proper shoes are key.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
  • wmd1979
    wmd1979 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Congrats!
  • cynthiabickham
    cynthiabickham Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! Keep it up you’re doing great!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I walk a little funny (right foot turns out quite a bit

I have a similar issue, there are several things that contribute, but the effect is that you'll need appropriate shoes in the near term to mitigate it. When I started running about 5 years ago I used motion control shoes to try to control the flaring.

When I started trail running I found that most trail shoes are neutral, but getting into trail running helped me learn much more around how to manage foot placement, and it strengthened the relevant muscles in the lower leg and stabilised the foot.

Notwithstanding all of that, firmly agree with Dewd about recommending a structured training plan. If you're already experiencing hip pain you need to moderate things a bit.
  • buffalogal42
    buffalogal42 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Ok, totally going to fess up to doing something I hate when others do here which is not following the very good advice given about following a structured plan :# . But I did get analyzed and got new shoes - that was helpful! And I had one of the trainers watch me run and help with some tweaks.

But I figured if I could easily manage a mile when I started that I would work on running a mile, walking a half mile, running a quarter/half mile ... and just seeing how my body felt. I haven’t had any lingering aches or hip/calf pain since I got new shoes.

And today ... I ran my first “treadmill 5k” without stopping! I kept a 12 minute mile pace and just focused on getting through 10 songs on my playlist. I honestly felt like I could have kept going but I want to make sure my body agrees with me!

I know running outdoors will be different but it is snowy/icy here so I am sticking indoors ... but I am feeling like running is something I can keep doing ... which kind of blows my mind!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    That is a great post!
    I run on the treadmill over the winter, too. Just keep putting miles under your feet. Moving outdoors may be a noticable difference for a week or two but not long, if at all.

Keep running! 5K without stopping is a huge milestone. This is awesome!