Rice help

Options
I try making rice yesterday but it turn out mushy and stuff. I did exactly what it said any help. Its RiceLand Long Grain

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    Options
    You cooked it too long or at too high heat or both.

Next time use a low setting, and check it after 20 minutes. I use Sim/low and cook rice for nearly 40 minutes, and I usually have to use a bit more water than called for. You have to experiment a bit, every stove is a bit different.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options

Next time use a low setting, and check it after 20 minutes. I use Sim/low and cook rice for nearly 40 minutes, and I usually have to use a bit more water than called for. You have to experiment a bit, every stove is a bit different.

Do you start it high so it can come to a boil
  • nickssweetheart
    nickssweetheart Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I finally gave up on stovetop cooking, and I bake it. Here's the method I use (she calls for butter but I leave it out and have never had a problem):

https://thespruce.com/make-perfectly-cooked-oven-rice-995968
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    To make rice in microwave...

1 cup rice and 2 cups water in bowl (always 1:2 ratio)
    Add spices if you like.
    Cook uncovered on 10 (high) for 10 minutes
    Cover and cook on 2 for 55 minutes.
    Remove from microwave, uncover and stir, let steam off for 5-10 minutes.
    Done

If you use brown rice, rinse the rice well before cooking.

• Ismoniak
    Ismoniak Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Following these instructions, it comes out perfect for me every time. Think of it as three steps.

1 cup rice and 2 cups water.
    bring to boil over high heat.

Lower heat to medium-low and put the lid on pot at an angle, so it's not completely sealed. Cook it down to the point where you see divets in the rice.

Put lid completely on pot, turn heat down to low. Let it sit for a bit, check it by stirring, once there is no liquid in the bottom it's basically done.

Sorry I don't have precise times, it's just how I do it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,118 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I start it at Med-high, let it boil for one minute, then lower heat to between simmer and low, cover the pot and check back in 20 minutes. It takes about 40 minutes to cook. Your heating element may be warmer or cooler than mine, but mushy rice is because too much water has absorbed into the grain. You do have to kind of check on it the first few times until you get the consistency you want. I usually use about an ounce more water per serving than is called for. I'm also using brown rice, so it may take a bit longer to cook.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options

I start it at Med-high, let it boil for one minute, then lower heat to between simmer and low, cover the pot and check back in 20 minutes. It takes about 40 minutes to cook. Your heating element may be warmer or cooler than mine, but mushy rice is because too much water has absorbed into the grain. You do have to kind of check on it the first few times until you get the consistency you want. I usually use about an ounce more water per serving than is called for. I'm also using brown rice, so it may take a bit longer to cook.

Is that brown rice? I cook white rice (NOT instant or converted or anything like that) for 15 minutes, occasionally a few minutes longer if I can see all the water hasn't been absorbed at 15 mins (I use a small Corningware casserole with a glass lid so I can see what's happening without lifting the lid). (OP: Don't lift the lid while cooking.). I don't add the rice (and salt and fat, if using) until the water has come to a boil. I give the rice a quick stir when I first add it, put the lid on, and reduce the heat about as low as it will go. Then I pretty much ignore it for 15 minutes.
  • Lean59man
    Lean59man Posts: 714 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Lean59man wrote: »
    To make brown rice in microwave...

1 cup rice and 2 cups water in bowl (always 1:2 ratio)
    Add spices if you like.
    Cook uncovered on 10 (high) for 10 minutes
    Cover and cook on 2 for 55 minutes.
    Remove from microwave, uncover and stir, let steam off for 5-10 minutes.
    Done

If you use brown rice, rinse the rice well before cooking.

I only make brown rice so this is only for that.

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I had to experiment with my equipment to get rice right. I recommend you note the equipment and procedure you followed to achieve failure, and don't do it that way again. Keep the equipment, change the procedure.
  • chrisfuentes2005
    chrisfuentes2005 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I had to experiment with my equipment to get rice right. I recommend you note the equipment and procedure you followed to achieve failure, and don't do it that way again. Keep the equipment, change the procedure.

Thanks
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    This is a long shot, but if you have a microwave, check if it has a "rice" button. I would put one cup rice and two cups water in a covered casserole dish, hit that button and it did a perfect job. It measures humidity or something idk but it worked great. I am a good cook but I never mastered stovetop rice because I never needed to.
  • DX2JX2
    DX2JX2 Posts: 1,921 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Make sure you check the cooking instructions. Most rices will use a 2:1 water:rice ratio, but there are some types of long grain rices that use a 1.75:1 ratio instead.

After cooking, remove the lid and fluff the rice with a fork. Let it sit for 5 minutes without the lid on after doing so. This will allow the rice to dry slightly before serving.
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    Ugh I wish I didn't know how to cook rice.