what should i do when i can't stop eating?

Options
i have those moments when i start eating something(mostly unhealthy with a lot of calories),because i just can't help myself and then i just eat and eat and cannot stop.i try to convince myself into not eating that much,but it almost never works.what should i do?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    don't bring it into your home in the first place
  • annabaloo
    Options
    I have the same problem. I do one of two things:
    1) Drink a big glass of water (it fills my stomach)
    2) I brush my teeth, because no one likes to eat food once their pearly whites are so fresh and minty

Hope this helps :)
  • CassieLEO
    CassieLEO Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Change your diet around, adding a ton more protein. That will keep you more full, much longer.
  • kathywoo10
    kathywoo10 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Do you snack out of the package like eat chips out of the chip bag? I find that I will eat more if more is in front of me so I usually will take out only one serving of whatever I am going to eat and put it on a small plate or bowl so I only have a little in front of me.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Stop, close the package and dump it in the trash.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Exactly. If I want a snickers bar (shame on me) I will buy ONE at the store-no matter what the price/sale is if I buy the 10 pack, for example...because I know myself too well and I will eat it all.

Also, chew more slowly and dont eat in front of the tv, computer, etc...not while doing other things because you can mindlessly eat. Dont eat standing up next to the fridge or pantry either (can you tell I've been where you are? lol). You can do it!!!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,319 Member
    Options
    Get out of the house, go for a walk, phone a friend, conjure up an awesome prank.. just do something.
  • Alissa_Sal
    Alissa_Sal Posts: 141
    Options
    Agree with taso - if you know that it is something that you are going to have trouble with, try to avoid it all together.

I also agree with Annabaloo - I always try to drink a big glass of water if my tummy is telling me that I'm still hungry after eating an appropriate portion.
  • sandeedoughton
    Options
    Chew sugarless gum!
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Either don't buy it in the first place OR portion out a small amount and put the rest away.

portioning things out works really well for me but now that I've put my mind to losing weight and getting healthy I no longer have a desire to eat junk food or the processed crap i use to eat.
  • Romba
    Romba Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Do you snack out of the package like eat chips out of the chip bag? I find that I will eat more if more is in front of me so I usually will take out only one serving of whatever I am going to eat and put it on a small plate or bowl so I only have a little in front of me.

Me too! I always do the portion size and put the bag away. My husband is about to bring tortilla chips and dip from the store...I will have 7 of them and no more. Its willpower
  • otr12
    otr12 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    You can stop eating. Until you realize that you'll just be putting bandaids on a broken bone.
  • amberdaniels
    Options
    I may not be any help. However, I do the same thing. I have gotten to where I will set out what it is that I want to eat that is unhealthy. And then I ONLY eat that. Like my nemesis is Oreo's. I can sit down and eat them until I throw up. UGH! Not good. Now I take three out of the jar and that is all I eat. Period. It does take some personal determination. Just a thought.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    Throw it in the trash and get as far away from it as possible (leave the house, go for a drive, etc)
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Everytime you want to grab for the bad stuff, do 15 jumping jacks first and drink a big glass of water.

I allow myself everything, in moderation. I just don't by big amounts of bad foods- like someone else said, I buy ONE candy bar... or put stuff in our guest bedroom closet (like small bags of chips) so my husband can still have snacks. Out of my sight, out of my mind!

Somedays, no matter what, it's going to happen. Pick yourself back up tomorrow and make it better than today. Chin up- YOU CAN DO THIS!
  • Shutterpillar
    Options

seeing as how the OP is only 18, I am assuming she lives with her parents, who are probably the ones who buy the food.
  • whitejessamine
    Options
    Try sugar-free chewing gum. You'll find you're much less likely to put food in your mouth if there's something already there. So, if you decide to indulge a little, have a couple bites of whatever then put the gum in your mouth. I find plugging that hole in my face is the easiest way to stop shoveling garbage into it! I carry about six different dessert flavors in my purse. Key Lime Pie and Apply Pie are awesome!
  • peacestar84
    Options
    Try not to have it in the house, and have a go to person that you can call or text who will talk to you while you dispose of the food and find something else to do.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    i have those moments when i start eating something(mostly unhealthy with a lot of calories),because i just can't help myself and then i just eat and eat and cannot stop.i try to convince myself into not eating that much,but it almost never works.what should i do?
    You need to do something else with your hands. Hard to eat with out them. Also don't eat when you're bored. That usually is when people stuff themselves.
  • Cassaaaaandra
    Cassaaaaandra Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I would re-evaluate your diet. Are you not eating enough calories and trying to lose weight too quickly? That will cause you to either want to binge (or actually binge) and may even cause you to gain weight because you essentially set yourself up for failure. You need to make sure to have a nutrient dense diet --> increase protein and fiber because that helps keep you feeling full and stabilizes your bloodsugar. Make sure you have enough calcium, iron, vitamin C, etc. If you don't habitually eat foods that provide these nutrients it may take some meal planning in advance.

Also, a lot of the advice you recieved above is also great: hydration, brushing teeth, and not keeping junk in the house. If you have to go over your calorie alotment --> make sure it is on something that can be derrived from the earth. Not processed diet snack food crap.