Weekend drinking

Options
Hello! So i was wondering if anyone had any advice about weekend drinking. I know I just shouldnt drink but im 21 so its hard to go out and not. Any tips, tricks or advice ? Thank you !

Replies

• LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Vodka is supposed to be the best alcohol to drink - for us fitness folks. And, as suggested already, drinking water along with the alcohol will really help with the dehydration (which will really help with the hang over the next day).

I don't drink too often......but when I do, it is Bourbon!
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    I only drink 5 oz of red wine maybe twice a week cause alcohol is a weight crusher for me!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I drink every weekend, just work harder during the week. works for me
  • shw112
    shw112 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem :'( Like others have said i recommend either straight spirits or spirits mixed with diet drinks. Also don't be tempted to skip meals to 'save' calories for alcohol, always eat a substantial meal before you go out, because otherwise you'll probably wind up being starving later and going to get a late night takeaway since alcohol increases your appetite (I speak from experience). but in general i'd say not to worry about it too much, going a bit over your calorie limit once a week isn't going to completely derail your progress and its not worth missing out on going out for.
  • batorkin
    batorkin Posts: 281 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Let's do the math here. A heavy beer is about 150 calories. A light bear is about 100 calories.

Let's say you drank a 6 pack. That's 900 calories for heavy beer, and 600 calories for light beer. That's not that much in the grand scheme of things. You can just eat less on the day you go out, and still be at a deficient.

Let's take it a step further. You drink 12 cans, that's enough for most people to get completely trashed. That's 1,800 for heavy beer, and 1,200 calories for light beer. That's... still not that much. You can still easily offset that by eating a little less the day of, and the next day or two.

You also need to factor in when you go out with friends you will be moving around more, burning a lot more calories than if you stayed home and watched TV. If you go dancing, clubbing, etc.. you can burn most those extra calories that very night.

I don't see the problem unless you drink multiple times a week and/or aren't offseting for it.

• bapity88
    bapity88 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    If you ENJOY drinking, just do it in moderation. I subbed beer for vodka soda and it's really helped. If I remember correctly, vodka is about 70 calories per ounce. Just work it into your calories for the day. Do an extra workout in the morning etc. You can have a few drinks and still lose weight.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    tyrindor wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Just drink. Who cares about the calories.....you’ll be fine if you just work a little harder during the week.

Uh, we’re here because we care about the calories. A weekend of drinking can wipe out a week’s deficit for some.

Not unless you are drinking like 20+ beers, or running a very small deficit (like 100-200 a day). 100-150 calories a can isn't that much. Most people can eat to their deficit goal, drink 5-6 cans, and still be at a "maintain" level for that day. It doesn't undo an entire week of dieting, you just don't "lose" for that day.

Plus, if you drink more or want to maintain a deficit 7 days/week, it's as easy as counting those beer calories and offsetting them throughout the next week. It's easy to offset an additional 500-1500 calories over 7 days.

Unless OP is a female trying to lose less than 20 lbs or so. A 500 cal deficit per day already can put your daily calories quite low, trying to eat much less than that so you can drink 1,000 calories on the weekend is incredibly difficult, and possibly unhealthy.

OP, it really depends how much you typically drink. As others have said, hard liquor is easiest to fit in. Mixing it with diet soda can stretch it out. If you're a beer drinker, try to alternate beer with a water or diet drink. Personally I'd rather drink two "real" beers than 4 light beers lol. Honestly, I never would have been able to lose the weight while party drinking every weekend, I just didn't have the calories to spare. Not to mention the extra food id eat once ive had a couple. Try logging what you typically drink and see what it does to your weekly deficit. While you don't have to give it up, doing it less often and making better choices when you do will most likely be necessary. Good luck!
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Eat before you go out, and avoid bar snacks. Stay away from high-calorie mixed cocktails like these:

https://www.fitnessmagazine.com/weight-loss/eating-help/calories/worst-cocktails/?page=1
  • ptrcmcc6
    ptrcmcc6 Posts: 103 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    I work Mon-Fri during the day and Saturday, overnight, every week. The only morning I don't have to get up early for work is Saturday morning so I have a few beers just about every Friday night. I average about a 6 pack (Coors Light) and, believe it or not, my weight is actually down when I weigh myself Saturday morning. I'm following a low carb diet so my lunch usually holds me over for quite awhile. Especially when I don't get my lunch until, sometimes, 3:00 in the afternoon. This past Friday, I had fried cauliflower for lunch and then, for dinner, I made myself a nice salad, after I finished my beers. I still came up 288 calories shy of my caloric goal and I was down 2 1/2 lbs when I weighed myself Saturday morning.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    tyrindor wrote: »
    amyepdx wrote: »
    Just drink. Who cares about the calories.....you’ll be fine if you just work a little harder during the week.

Uh, we’re here because we care about the calories. A weekend of drinking can wipe out a week’s deficit for some.

Not unless you are drinking like 20+ beers, or running a very small deficit (like 100-200 a day). 100-150 calories a can isn't that much. Most people can eat to their deficit goal, drink 5-6 cans, and still be at a "maintain" level for that day. It doesn't undo an entire week of dieting, you just don't "lose" for that day.

Plus, if you drink more or want to maintain a deficit 7 days/week, it's as easy as counting those beer calories and offsetting them throughout the next week. It's easy to offset an additional 500-1500 calories over 7 days.

Unless OP is a female trying to lose less than 20 lbs or so. A 500 cal deficit per day already can put your daily calories quite low, trying to eat much less than that so you can drink 1,000 calories on the weekend is incredibly difficult, and possibly unhealthy.

OP, it really depends how much you typically drink. As others have said, hard liquor is easiest to fit in. Mixing it with diet soda can stretch it out. If you're a beer drinker, try to alternate beer with a water or diet drink. Personally I'd rather drink two "real" beers than 4 light beers lol. Honestly, I never would have been able to lose the weight while party drinking every weekend, I just didn't have the calories to spare. Not to mention the extra food id eat once ive had a couple. Try logging what you typically drink and see what it does to your weekly deficit. While you don't have to give it up, doing it less often and making better choices when you do will most likely be necessary. Good luck!

What she said (about the *WEEKLY* deficit). I really focus on the weekly totals, with the daily stuff just simply being a single data point in the week. If you really enjoy drinking (and I do.....few and far between, but I still enjoy a Bourbon neat or two every blue moon) just make it work.....just like everything else.

If you look at your caloric intake like money then "budgeting" makes much more sense.

Just my $1.98....
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 973 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Prosecco! I order a glass of Prosecco (less calories than white wine) and a club soda with lemons & limes, not mixed...just two things to be drinking from and then most people don't pay attention to how much you are drinking or not drinking.

I use to drink diet coke with Malibu rum...but then I quit the diet drinks.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Just log the calories and move on.

Try finding low calorie options that work with your taste buds and caloric budget.

Club soda/lime is a great zero calorie option that gives the appearance of drinking and my go to DD option.