I love days where I walk 8miles

Options

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I suspect the OP made a typo and is talking about 700 extra Cal from the walking which would be perfectly believable...

That makes sense!
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    PAV8888 wrote: »
    I suspect the OP made a typo and is talking about 700 extra Cal from the walking which would be perfectly believable.

The highest Fitbit day I could find for myself was a hike day (with some elevation) at 198.5lbs (BMI of 31).
    41,821 steps, Fitbit TDEE for the day 5,667.

At the time I was losing with an approximately 3% divergence from Fitbit TDEE, so I would have considered it a ~5,500 Cal day :wink:

Yeah, my best day was 60,225 steps, most of it on a hike, total elevation gain of 1237m, Fitbit TDEE 4531 cals.

Mine is 71112 steps in a day. No elevation though.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »
    I'm 200lbs folks. When you are carrying the extra baggage you burn more kcals.

Regardless, I only ate a total calorie count for my BR (2300)

Yeah no amount of steps in a day at 200 pounds would burn you 7kcalories. I wish. Not enough hours in a day even without the football game id imagine lol
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm 220lbs. There is no way on earth you burned 7000 calories walking 15000 steps. It's not physically possible, I'm sorry.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I used to find these calculators really helpful when I first started.

shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/walking-calorie-burn-calculator.shtml

Add what you get for that to your BMR and you'll see how off your tracker is.

They even have a link on the side where you can take that figure and adjust it to calculate the net burn.
  • WhereIsPJSoles
    WhereIsPJSoles Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    There’s a video on YouTube where Steve Cook attempts to burn 10,000 calories in one day and is going HAM all day running, swimming, weights, everything possible. He reached 7,000 and couldn’t get beyond that.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    ginababin wrote: »
    There’s a video on YouTube where Steve Cook attempts to burn 10,000 calories in one day and is going HAM all day running, swimming, weights, everything possible. He reached 7,000 and couldn’t get beyond that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5avfIODvlM
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    ginababin wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see if a less fit person could do it, since being fit increases efficiency. But a less fit person probably couldn't sustain the level of activity so it would limit itself.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,927 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Whether it was 700 or 7000, ot was still a heck of an excellent burn and certainly being able to walk more helps one eat more and still lose! :wink:

You do have to make sure to watch and evaluate how closely your tracker and real life results match so that you can adjust as needed. A trending weight app (since you have a Fitbit account just connect it to www.trendweight.com) will help you evaluate your progress and compare to expected results and allow you to enjoy your extra calories free of concern!
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    OP, is your tracker set to calories or kilojoules?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options

If it's a Fitbit I'm pretty sure you can't switch. It's a good thing I can think in both! If it's another brand that might explain it (though then I'd be thinking it was reading low!).
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

If it's a Fitbit I'm pretty sure you can't switch. It's a good thing I can think in both! If it's another brand that might explain it (though then I'd be thinking it was reading low!).

Same, it would be very low
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I'm 192lbs and I walked over 15000 steps today and my total burn for the day is just under 3000 calories. You numbers are off.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options

I’m a 6’6”, 200 lb. male. So far today I have just over 21,000 steps (including a 5K run this morning) and my Garmin is showing my TDEE up to this point in the day as 3,224 calories. Which means I should end up around 3500 or so for the day.

I think your Fitbit missed a decimal point somewhere.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Yeah echoing everybody on your tracker being buggy. If it's a Fit bit call their tech support people, they are good about replacing if it's a hardware issue!

For reference on the day of my 50 mile ultramarathon I ran at a decent enough clip to place, walked several kilometers waiting for the awards ceremony to kick up afterwards and even as a taller woman (5'10") my TDEE on the day was 6,937. It seems unlikely with only a 70lb difference between us that your burn on presumably less activity would be higher if you know what I mean?

Regardless, congrats on a great activity day!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options

200 pounds isn't THAT heavy. My husband is 200 pounds and there's no way he'd burn anywhere close to that much. Physics says "no" to your 7k burn. I agree with everyone here that your calorie tracker is busted. Nevertheless, you still burned a ton of calories and got some great exercise in for the day! Congrats on that! B)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,178 Member
    Options

This is probably where the error lies.

Divide 7000 by 4 (approximately) and you've got 1750, which is a whole lot closer to the truth. :)