NEED HELP

Options
Please someone message me.. i need to lose a lot of weight due to fatty liver. i dont even know where to start if anyone has any tips at all i would greatly appreciate it.

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    Stickied threads are a great place to start:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10300331/most-helpful-posts-getting-started-must-reads#latest

It will take some time to read through, but it is well worth it. Best to figure out what works for you, and will fit with your lifestyle. Smaller changes that you can live with. Have patience with yourself, and remain persistence and consistent.
  • kendraturner988
    kendraturner988 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much I'll definitely check it out!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    I know it's a scary place to be, but you can do it.
  • kendraturner988
    Options
    Thank you! :)
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out. You know what to do, and you can figure out the details of how to best do it. Just eat less junk and exercise more. Do you currently work out or is that something you have to figure out? If you don't even know where to begin with that, just start walking/jogging, if that's something you can do. It's free and doesn't require buying anything, lol.
  • kendraturner988
    Options
    Diet is where i want to start... i feel like i have no self control
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    So many of us feel out of control with our eating when we first start here.

I found it really helpful for the first week to eat normally but to weigh and measure EVERYTHING enter it all in the diary. This can be a bit time consuming at first but it does get much easier. It is very important to be brutally honest with this, so every bite every bit of dressing every drink should be accounted for.

Once you can see exactly how much you are eating you can see the foods that are the worst for calories and find ways of reducing them. Either substitute for lower calorie foods, reduce the amount you eat or stop eating those foods. You will soon see how to fit good tasty food into your calorie allowance.

Also start to exercise this will help with fitness and burning some calories, weight lifting is a great way to keep your lean muscle mass while losing weight but any exercise will help.

Most of all don't give up. You will slip from time to time but if you get right back into it the next day the slip ups wont be too damaging.

This site is a great place to find out information, make friends and get tips on how to lose the weight safely and healthily.

I lost 32 pounds here and now going for another 30

Welcome and remember this is about your health, you need to do this for your future and you most definitely can do it.

Good luck :)
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Diet is where i want to start... i feel like i have no self control
    Start by logging everything you consume before it goes into your mouth. That way, you can see the nutrition/calories first and decide if you really want to consume it and, if so, how much you want.
  • kendraturner988
    Options
    Thank you all i went today and i bought a scale and some containers im going to start prepping my meals ahead of time. i just dont know the appropriate proportions yet.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Thank you all i went today and i bought a scale and some containers im going to start prepping my meals ahead of time. i just dont know the appropriate proportions yet.
    Appropriate portion sizes really depend upon what fits with your nutrition and calorie goals. Serving suggestions given on nutrition labels are just that - suggestions.

For example, I have a whole bag of steam-in-bag non-starchy veggies with dinner which is about 3 servings. I have one square of dark chocolate after breakfast and that's 1/3rd of a serving.

If you use a food scale in grams and set your MFP entries to 1 gram increments, you can weigh out how much you want to use and enter that number rather than being constrained by what the label says is a serving or doing math for the serving size.

All of this is a learning process. Be patient with yourself and you'll get there.
  • kendraturner988
    Options
    Thank you I've felt so lost!
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Thank you I've felt so lost!

Small steps. I know it seems overwhelming, but in no time, you'll have it figured out. Appropriate proportions are whatever works for you. If you are going to prelog your day before, you will have a pretty good idea of what helps meet your goal.

If you find you are hungry, you will need to play around with it to see what works for you. Some people find fats more filling, others find vegetables and proteins more filling. Personally, I look at the fats and proteins as a minimum target, and the rest goes to carbs. I bulk meals with extra veggies to get the full stomach feeling.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I found it really helpful for the first week to eat normally but to weigh and measure EVERYTHING enter it all in the diary. This can be a bit time consuming at first but it does get much easier. It is very important to be brutally honest with this, so every bite every bit of dressing every drink should be accounted for.

Once you can see exactly how much you are eating you can see the foods that are the worst for calories and find ways of reducing them. Either substitute for lower calorie foods, reduce the amount you eat or stop eating those foods. You will soon see how to fit good tasty food into your calorie allowance.

Also start to exercise this will help with fitness and burning some calories, weight lifting is a great way to keep your lean muscle mass while losing weight but any exercise will help.

What she said. My appetite was WAY out of control when I first started, and it still gets me sometimes, but it really does help to see what you're putting into your body. And, honestly, I wouldn't work out at all if it weren't for the fact that, some nights (like tonight), I work out just so I can have some chocolate chip cookies. Yes, I know I'd lose faster if I didn't, but, well, I'm weak. :p

• sumitdascse832
    sumitdascse832 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting
  • theabsentmindednurse
    theabsentmindednurse Posts: 405 Member
    edited November 2017
    Options
    Aymounna wrote: »
    No more sucrose, fructose and alcohol. Meaning, no more fruits, forget fruits now. Alcohol forget it or minimise it to the max when socializing, less honey less sugar in tea or coffee. Keep eating glucose, dextrose...( low GI carbs) and move, you will be happy with the result in a short time ☺

Demonising groups of foods or having the mindset that there are GOOD FOODS AND FOODS is just plain wrong!

What is wrong with fruit?
    It is healthy and nutritious.
    Eat what you like.
    Try new foods. Enjoy your meals and log your everything you eat, but obsessing about what you can and can’t eat will detrimental to long term success.

Just take it a day at a time and don’t make too many changes at once.
  • ALSHAMALI112
    ALSHAMALI112 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Fatty liver shouldn’t lose ur weight very quickly read about it , be sure (my advice)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

that's where pre - logging comes in. you can see how much of everything you can fit in your day.
  • Wulfie83
    Wulfie83 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I lost about 40 pounds so far from a lifestyle change. Had to because I was having health issues myself. I feel you for you but I know it’s possible! Find yourself some people who are already doing what you want to do and imitate or learn from them :)
  • nutmegoreo
    Options
    Aymounna wrote: »
    No more sucrose, fructose and alcohol. Meaning, no more fruits, forget fruits now. Alcohol forget it or minimise it to the max when socializing, less honey less sugar in tea or coffee. Keep eating glucose, dextrose...( low GI carbs) and move, you will be happy with the result in a short time ☺

There is no need to over complicate things. One of the main reasons people fail is because they over complicate and try to make massive changes to how they are eating/living. Fruits can be part oc a healthy diet.
    Intermittent fasting

...is helpful if OP tends to like eating this way and it works for her. It's just another way to a calorie deficit. While some find it works, others find it unnecessarily restrictive.